DNS Cache

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    windows 10
       #1

    DNS Cache


    I have a site that was pointed to shopify, and then closed the store. Now when I try to load the new site, it always directs to the closed shopify site. If I do a dns reset using ipconfig /flushdns it will work for a while, but then always reverts back. So I have to reset many times per day.
    Any ideas on how to get this setup so that the dns is not changing..?
    thanks
    james
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #2

    jamesk said:
    I have a site that was pointed to shopify, and then closed the store. Now when I try to load the new site, it always directs to the closed shopify site. If I do a dns reset using ipconfig /flushdns it will work for a while, but then always reverts back. So I have to reset many times per day.
    Any ideas on how to get this setup so that the dns is not changing..?
    thanks
    james
    Hi jamesk and welcome to Tenforums.

    Please advise what browser(s) you are using and uninstall all toolbars in all of them.

    Let's check for infection
    -download and run RKILL
    This is a little program that will stop any malicious running processes temporarily until next boot. After running, it places a text file on your desktop - paste that info here.

    - download, install and run Malwarebytes Antimalware Free
    Update the definitions and go into settings and select the box to scan for Rootkits as well as everything else that is already checked. Do a custom scan and select your entire C: drive.

    Let us know if it finds anything. Reboot if asked to. If you do reboot, run RKILL again.

    Depending on your response, I'll give you next steps.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 10
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Here is the rkill txt
    Rkill 2.8.3 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
    BleepingComputer.com - News, Reviews, and Technical Support
    Copyright 2008-2016 BleepingComputer.com
    More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
    RKill - What it does and What it Doesnt - A brief introduction to the program - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

    Program started at: 01/14/2016 05:37:55 PM in x64 mode.
    Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

    Checking for Windows services to stop:

    * No malware services found to stop.

    Checking for processes to terminate:

    * No malware processes found to kill.

    Checking Registry for malware related settings:

    * No issues found in the Registry.

    Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

    Performing miscellaneous checks:

    * Windows Firewall Disabled

    [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
    "EnableFirewall" = dword:00000000
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #4

    jamesk said:
    Here is the rkill txt
    Rkill 2.8.3 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
    .....

    * Windows Firewall Disabled

    [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
    "EnableFirewall" = dword:00000000
    Everything looks good except this. What are you using for a firewall? Do you have a 3rd-party firewall installed? If not, you will need to edit the registry and change that to "1". (Well, I would try turning it on through Windows, before I would edit the registry....)
    Last edited by simrick; 14 Jan 2016 at 11:07.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 56,064
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #5

    Something may have messed with your hosts file. That is a system file that will redirect any IP address to another, hard coded. Check these instructions to view/edit the system hosts file. There may be something in there causing you problems. Beginner Geek: How To Edit Your Hosts File

    This is what a plain vanilla hosts file should look like. This is straight off my desktop, just upgraded to 11099.

    It is in this folder.... C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Filename is "hosts". You can open it with Notepad.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #6

    f14tomcat said:
    Something may have messed with your hosts file. That is a system file that will redirect any IP address to another, hard coded. Check these instructions to view/edit the system hosts file. There may be something in there causing you problems. Beginner Geek: How To Edit Your Hosts File

    This is what a plain vanilla hosts file should look like. This is straight off my desktop, just upgraded to 11099.

    It is in this folder.... C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Filename is "hosts". You can open it with Notepad.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    If there were any changes to a plain vanilla Hosts file, RKILL would have listed that in the report.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 10
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    simrick said:
    Everything looks good except this. What are you using for a firewall? Do you have a 3rd-party firewall installed? If not, you will need to edit the registry and change that to "1". (Well, I would try turning it on through Windows, before I would edit the registry....)
    I had the windows firewall off, so I turned it on. Running the malware scan now...
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 10
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    This is my hosts file...
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # 162.255.118.46 tshirtsbyjames.com
    # ::1 localhost
    192.168.199.119 HPSCANNER
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #9

    jamesk said:
    I had the windows firewall off, so I turned it on. Running the malware scan now...
    Okay, let us know what it finds, if anything.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 10
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    I have a site using the ip 162.255.118.46 but it will always switch back to the shopify store ip.... 23.227.38.32
    I have tried shutting down the DNS Client, but it always starts back up..
    Nothing showed up on the malware scan.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums