Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    08 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10

    How to get PC to support Miracast?


    So I just got a new LG smart TV that has a screen share mode. I wanted to use it but apparently my PC doesn't support miracast.

    How do I get miracast support? I'm sure all my drivers are up to date, but i'll check again. Here's my dxdiag, I couldn't get much info from it. I'm not sure why it's not supported, and I don't have much knowledge on the issue.

    Dxdiag

    Could someone who knows more about this help me out? I can get the TV to show up in Devices under settings, but I can't project to it.
    Does my second monitor have anything to do with it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,330
    Mac OS Sierra

    You have to get the Miracast device for your computer, in order for it to work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Land of Enchantment
    Posts : 169
    Win 10 Rel 1607
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    You have to get the Miracast device for your computer, in order for it to work.
    What device? The only devices I found are ones that plug into the TV, so the TV can support miracast.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Land of Enchantment
    Posts : 169
    Win 10 Rel 1607

    Check the link in post number 3
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Apr 2016 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 1
    win 10

    completely did not answer the question the OP asked. the linked article simply states that some driver magic voodoo goes on. it fails to name the driver or describe ways to work around the fact that miracast will in fact fail to be available if you computer has a display adapter of any kind that is not in the microsoft HCL and using the microsoft driver not the OEM driver.. Sure I'm making this all up as I go along, but nobody does appear to have produced an authoritative answer, so why not.

    Seriously, what is the actual criteria? touch enabled screen locally? ATI or NVidia only? A digital DRM protected display? which is it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Nov 2016 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    I registered JUST so I could help with the general idiocy surrounding this with people who just do not understand the question. I know this is a really old thread, but the question isn't answered very well out in the internet, so I thought I'd answer it definitively here.

    Will probably be my only post on this forum.

    If your computer is like mine, upgraded from Windows 7 to anything higher (probably Windows 10 now, like mine) your computer is likely NOT to support WiDi. Apparently the only stupid way to check is to try to project your screen (Win+P.) If you see "+ Add wireless display" CONGRATULATIONS! Your computer supports WiDi.

    If you're like me and don't even see the option to add a wireless display, then you have only ONE option to get Miracast working on your computer, and that is you must purchase a Miracast TRANSMITTER (not a RECEIVER, a TRANSMITTER.) Search for Miracast transmitter on Amazon or Google, and you'll get a number of dongles or packages for purchase.

    However, the easiest way to get screen mirroring is to buy a Chromecast.

    Hope my hours of reading and sifting through stupid replies like the one above helps somebody.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Nov 2016 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,978
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    One thing about 6-month old posts, or maybe 6-weeks or maybe 6-days or less, the poster/s usually have either fixed the issue, junked the computer and bought new or moved on to other things.

    I do agree with one of your statements and disagree with a description.
    .
    (~uPNotrmŜRctdl35DF޺}vura"fpA[ y]\#
    kܑ0L֩|&FWD!-d~I"%:;yjh*Q1u_]2# .5TG߅hi}Y@^±x
    Ft\"=Ex96g?/Dx!ahtt"8ҙiDޛbȒg9R~L)8P<*hni2[[W/D յaa PJ)NLMt
    AG[У_?>yZQ~a+{Nx}el7`*Q~1}u-[^̢D&V6d&0houu{qXK
    -x<c 1=5fkkwX*x:*x
    g`g̗)Qr@Nvg<9q`{v\bYTςͰâGG><)~dq0BUUx_l);{_$静!_į/x4uk
    60ߝKc. ,Tz^^!:kKM_NPF--goxn6l|HIh
    ?8`_$ldc1)}^f6B}{X|12Go7';3چ'y{
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    25 Nov 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetPixiesmile View Post
    I registered JUST so I could help with the general idiocy surrounding this with people who just do not understand the question. I know this is a really old thread, but the question isn't answered very well out in the internet, so I thought I'd answer it definitively here.

    Will probably be my only post on this forum.

    If your computer is like mine, upgraded from Windows 7 to anything higher (probably Windows 10 now, like mine) your computer is likely NOT to support WiDi. Apparently the only stupid way to check is to try to project your screen (Win+P.) If you see "+ Add wireless display" CONGRATULATIONS! Your computer supports WiDi.

    If you're like me and don't even see the option to add a wireless display, then you have only ONE option to get Miracast working on your computer, and that is you must purchase a Miracast TRANSMITTER (not a RECEIVER, a TRANSMITTER.) Search for Miracast transmitter on Amazon or Google, and you'll get a number of dongles or packages for purchase.

    However, the easiest way to get screen mirroring is to buy a Chromecast.

    Hope my hours of reading and sifting through stupid replies like the one above helps somebody.
    Hey, OP here. So you are correct, a computer needs to have WiDi support to be able to support Miracast. WiDi support, if I remember correctly, falls in with how old your processor is. I have an i5-2500k, and Intel deemed it too old to update the drivers to support WiDi. The new(er) processors do have WiDi support though (I think).

    Personally, I ended up running a 30ft HDMI cable to my TV. It's well hidden so it doesn't bother me. But obviously not everyone will be able to do this, so getting a Miracast transmitter might be the solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    25 Nov 2016 #10
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,330
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by monster10888 View Post
    Hey, OP here. So you are correct, a computer needs to have WiDi support to be able to support Miracast. WiDi support, if I remember correctly, falls in with how old your processor is. I have an i5-2500k, and Intel deemed it too old to update the drivers to support WiDi. The new(er) processors do have WiDi support though (I think).
    Personally, I ended up running a 30ft HDMI cable to my TV. It's well hidden so it doesn't bother me. But obviously not everyone will be able to do this, so getting a Miracast transmitter might be the solution.
    We are talking about dinosaur technology that there is no longer any equipment made for. Widi was never supported. AMD and Intel tried to create their own version. WiFi alliance and Google are now bringing it back together with allowing both Airplay for iOS and GoogleCast (used to be called ChromeCast) for all devices, regarding of the OS, as long as you use a Chromium based browser.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't connect to Miracast
Hello, i just upgraded to Windows 10 so i can connect to Miracast on my LG Smart TV. Whenever i try to connect my tv, it's either my wifi disconnected or my monitor sleeps then turns on again. I checked if my PC supports Miracast & it says it's...
Network and Sharing
Solved Miracast
Can win10 actually do miracast? I can cast my Android tablet to my TV via a wd TV live media player but can't work out how to do it with won 10. Read lots on the net but it has offered me no solution.. Please someone hlep me do it. I have both a...
Drivers and Hardware
Asus S400CA - Miracast with PushToTV3000-no sound
When I connect to wireless display to SONY TV via PTV3000, I cannot hear sound from TV, though I can see video in Windows10. In windows 8.1, I could get both sound and display with out any problem. Any solutions, Please.
Drivers and Hardware
CPU Support
Hi all I was wondering if there is a list of CPUs supported by Win 10? I am currently running two desktops one with a Dual Core Pentium @ 2ghz and a Core Duo E8400 @ 3 Ghz. They both run Win 8.1 fine but was wondering if 10 will support them. I...
Drivers and Hardware
Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (Miracast) Problems?
Haven't found other threads dealing with this, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get my wireless display adapter working properly in Win10 (worked great with my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 - I'm on Win 10 build 9926 at the moment). ...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums