Stumped at setting up home network in 10


  1. Posts : 129
    Win 10 Pro 64bit - Build 18363.476 - Version 1909
       #1

    Stumped at setting up home network in 10


    Had no issues setting up our 3 PC home network in Win Seven Pro...But...can't seem to get past 1st base trying to duplicate this in Win 10.

    So far I have PC 2 (MARYANNS_WIN10) visible and accessible in PC 1 (TIMS_WIN10)...but...I can not access PC 1 from PC 2 - does not show PC 2 in Networks ?. ( see jpg attached)

    Which if any tutorial will help me walk through setting up our home network in Win 10 ? Don't want to use homegroup...have network settings setup to use passwords...etc.

    Also...when trying to get to PC2 from PC 1...I get the attached login popup...is it asking me for PC1 or PC 2's credentials...neither seem to work ?

    Somewhere here a couple weeks ago I read a number of posts saying 10's network setup is weird...?...I have gotten a couple error messages saying "some files are missing" which I remember reading a few weeks ago...have run repair as administrator and so far haven't have those error messages reappear as of yet...but still can't connect from 2 to 1 ?

    Also read previously that PC 1 needs a user account on PC 2 in 10...have set that up but still no joy ?

    Thanks...hope this isn't to vague but was really simple in Win 7...stumped in Win 10 ??

    TiminAz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumped at setting up home network in 10-pc1.jpg   Stumped at setting up home network in 10-capture.jpg  
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #2

    trinaz said:
    Had no issues setting up our 3 PC home network in Win Seven Pro...But...can't seem to get past 1st base trying to duplicate this in Win 10.

    So far I have PC 2 (MARYANNS_WIN10) visible and accessible in PC 1 (TIMS_WIN10)...but...I can not access PC 1 from PC 2 - does not show PC 2 in Networks ?. ( see jpg attached)

    Which if any tutorial will help me walk through setting up our home network in Win 10 ? Don't want to use homegroup...have network settings setup to use passwords...etc.

    Also...when trying to get to PC2 from PC 1...I get the attached login popup...is it asking me for PC1 or PC 2's credentials...neither seem to work ?

    Somewhere here a couple weeks ago I read a number of posts saying 10's network setup is weird...?...I have gotten a couple error messages saying "some files are missing" which I remember reading a few weeks ago...have run repair as administrator and so far haven't have those error messages reappear as of yet...but still can't connect from 2 to 1 ?

    Also read previously that PC 1 needs a user account on PC 2 in 10...have set that up but still no joy ?

    Thanks...hope this isn't to vague but was really simple in Win 7...stumped in Win 10 ??

    TiminAz
    Hey Trinaz

    Did you have any luck with your issue? I am having the exact same issue as you! The only problem is, I keep fiddling trying to solve the issue and then the one works and the other doesn't, fiddle some more and the other computer can access the other one, but not the other way around! I really hope you have managed to find a solution! I too do not want to use workgroups, and had shared folders working perfectly fine before the automatic updates!
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13,960
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #3

    This is what I've done to get my 3 computers working in a Workgroup (not Homegroup):

    When you define your shares, add the Everyone account with whatever access level you want. Read, Read\Execute or Full Control then Share it.

    For instance, to make the C: drive available to other network computers:

    Add Everyone:
    Open This PC
    Right click on C: and select Properties
    Click on the Security tab
    Click the Edit button under Group or user names box
    Click Add
    In the Enter object names to select box, type everyone then click Check Names.
    You should see Everyone
    Click OKSelect Everyone then check the Permissions for Everyone boxes in the Allow column that you want to allow
    Click OK and OK.
    Share drive or folder:

    Click on the Sharing tab
    Click on Advanced Sharing
    Click hare this folder
    Give the share a name. I use names like Lenovo_C, Toshiba_C or HP_C, something that makes it easy for me to know what shares I'm looking at when viewing over the network.
    Turn off password protected sharing:

    Right click on Network and select Properties.
    Click on Change advanced sharing settings at left.
    Click the down arrow next to All Networks at the bottom.
    Select Turn off password protected sharing.
    Click the Save changes button.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #4

    Ztruker said:
    This is what I've done to get my 3 computers working in a Workgroup (not Homegroup):

    When you define your shares, add the Everyone account with whatever access level you want. Read, Read\Execute or Full Control then Share it.

    For instance, to make the C: drive available to other network computers:
    The problem is I can't see the other computer! Also I tried to set up a workgroup....and alas Im asked for a password, which it doesn't accept, perhaps I used something else...but now it is telling me there is no workgroup found on the network, yet I can't set up a workgroup on either computer!!! I have successfully shared a folder from my computer to the other computer and thats working fine now, however, as I cannot see the other computer on my computer, I cannot access the "shared" folders that I have shared from there. Im not sure what settings are different, as I had it the other way round before, where my computer could see the other computer, but not access anything, even though the folder was shared. So I have managed to figure out the folder share scenario, just can no longer see the computer!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,960
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #5

    Try Turn off password protected sharing, see if that gets you going.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #6

    Ztruker said:
    Try Turn off password protected sharing, see if that gets you going.
    Thanks Ztruker, wish it was that easy! That was one of the first things I did, as I figured if I had a "clear" line of access first, before adding passwords, but unfortunately it's still turned off and cannot see the computer! And I convinced my husband to upgrade his PC to 10, , what was I thinking!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13,960
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #7

    You husband needs to do the same things you are doing, turn off password access, add Everyone, etc.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #8

    Ztruker said:
    You husband needs to do the same things you are doing, turn off password access, add Everyone, etc.
    Hahaha....if my husband was doing anything, it would be even more broken!!

    No, I've jumped between computers changing the settings to exactly the same, but there is obviously some tiny thing that I have ommitted to do on my husband computer, but I have no idea what! I have looked again and password protection is definitely off. I just can't see his computer though! When he goes to Networks his computer shows as well as mine, when I go to networks only my computer shows! I am not sure what the heck I did yesterday, but I did somehow manage to ping his computer from mine, which I thought was good news, but still no access! I even went and added an account on his, as I read something about that working, but that too didn't help, so I have since deleted them, as that's not what I wanted and not how it was set up, prior to the upgrade.

    I DID change the computer name, as I was getting a bit confused, as it was set up by someone else and set up as PC-user, or something and I changed that to his name......perhaps that's where the problem lies??? but not sure why or where to make necessary changes if thats the case!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13,960
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #9

    See here for changing your computer name: Computer Name - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #10

    Well blow me over with a feather!!!! I changed the study around, which meant relocating printers etc and ended up having to reload the printers as they were on different ports etc and I didn't fiddle with any network settings and thought I would have a quick look and see what the chances are of me seeing the other computer....bingo!!! Not sure how a printer relates to sharing drives, but something sorted itself out! Yay! Stupid windows 10!!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums