Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED

  1. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,473
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1

    Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED


    Hi there.

    This affects sharing TO W10 from other machines -- NOT FROM W10 TO other machines which seems to work just fine.

    Ms has changed some security aspects of file sharing over networks in W10. The changes only affect W7 and earlier Windows OS'es and most Linux distros using SAMBA.

    You need to BLOCK INBOUND port 139 on your WINDOWS 10 machine if you use something like NetBIOS to access your shared machines on a network. If you use an LMHOSTS file (I don't as I don't want fixed IP addresses on a network) or actual IP addresses to access your shares then you don't need to do anything.

    (The two ports in question here are 139 and 445 - only block TCP port 139).

    Note - you need to block the INCOMING port on the WINDOWS 10 Machine. If you don't have the firewall enabled then you will still get problems sharing via hostname - so enable the firewall (Windows).

    What apparently is happening is that Windows 10 is only listening for PORT 445. SAMBA / W7 machines check Port 139 first -- wait for an acknowledgement (or other response) - and then if negative send out port 445. On W10 port 139 doesn't return any acknowledgment so on Linux SAMBA times our while Windows issues the message Cannot access .... etc.

    This fix might not work in the final W10 release but it's still working even in build 9879.

    Remember the problem is sharing TO Windows 10 -- NOT FROM WINDOWS 10 and only from Linux (samba) or Windows releases 7 and earlier.

    (For those using Storage spaces - you have to share at FOLDER / DIRECTORY level as there's no "Physical Volumes of course).

    If you are using CENTOS 7 as a Host you may still find that you can SEE the shares FROM Windows but can't access them -- for some reason you need to set wins = yes in the samba conf file if you are using a typical home LAN (not domains etc).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  2. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #2

    W10TP b9926 won't connect to any other machines in our house (they appear in the Network window in File Explorer).
    I didn't have this trouble with the other builds.

    I'll try your suggestion out.
      My Computer

  3. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #3

    Local Area Networking is totally broken in my b9926.

    I tried:
    • Blocking port 139 everywhere I could find it - no effect
    • Turning the Firewall off - totally disables my network
    • Disabling NETBIOS - totally disables my network


    I don't know how MS expects ordinary users to be able to deal with this.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2
    W10TYP b9926
       #4

    lehnerus2000 said:
    W10TP b9926 won't connect to any other machines in our house (they appear in the Network window in File Explorer).
    I didn't have this trouble with the other builds.

    I'll try your suggestion out.
    I have the same issue.

    Can see the other computers (all running W7), just cant get data from them. Error message \PC is not accessible. You might not have permission blah, blah, blah. The account is not authorised to log in from this station.

    They can connect to the W10 machine.

    All was working fine in b9789
      My Computer

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,473
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Hi there

    apparently (different error from what I've been getting (solved on my LAN) there's a registry fix for this. I never got the message "not authorised..." etc so that's a different problem -- suppose it depends on how your LAN is set up.

    I can't find the link but it's on the Forum. People who have made the registry fix says it solves their problem.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2
    W10TYP b9926
       #6

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    apparently (different error from what I've been getting (solved on my LAN) there's a registry fix for this. I never got the message "not authorised..." etc so that's a different problem -- suppose it depends on how your LAN is set up.

    I can't find the link but it's on the Forum. People who have made the registry fix says it solves their problem.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I used the registry fix, worked straight away.
      My Computer

  7. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #7

    djm67 said:
    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    apparently (different error from what I've been getting (solved on my LAN) there's a registry fix for this. I never got the message "not authorised..." etc so that's a different problem -- suppose it depends on how your LAN is set up.

    I can't find the link but it's on the Forum. People who have made the registry fix says it solves their problem.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I used the registry fix, worked straight away.
    Can you please post the link or thread title? :)
      My Computer

  8. labeeman's Avatar
    Posts : 18,704
    Mint 20.1
       #8

    lehnerus2000 said:
    djm67 said:
    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    apparently (different error from what I've been getting (solved on my LAN) there's a registry fix for this. I never got the message "not authorised..." etc so that's a different problem -- suppose it depends on how your LAN is set up.

    I can't find the link but it's on the Forum. People who have made the registry fix says it solves their problem.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I used the registry fix, worked straight away.
    Can you please post the link or thread title? :)
    I think it is in

    Build 9226 - cant connect to shares?



    Message # 13 has it.
      My Computer

  9. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #9

    Thanks labeeman


    labeeman said:
    I think it is in

    Build 9226 - cant connect to shares?



    Message # 13 has it.
    Thanks labeeman. :)

    I was wondering if it was related to "Lanman" settings.

    In W7, I have to edit "Lsa" & "LanmanServer" to allow my media box to connect.
      My Computer

  10. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #10

    Experiment


    As an experiment, I just copied my b9879 VM and then performed an "upgrade" to b9926 on it.
    The Network was broken after the "upgrade".

    I've tried two clean installs & an "upgrade" and the Network was broken in all of them.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums