Windows 10: Wake On LAN is Not Working
Wake On LAN is Not Working
I have been unable to get Wake on LAN functionality to work in Windows 10:
- I am attempting to do a Wakeup on LAN to my desktop computer which is running Windows 10 from my laptop which is also running Windows 10. The desktop computer is connected to my router through a wired Ethernet connection and the laptop is connected to the same router via a wireless connection
- I'm doing this within my Local Area Network so I'm not going through a router from the external network
- I've upgraded the driver on my network adapter to the latest version
- I've enabled all the required functionality in the BIOS to enable Wake on LAN
- I've turned on all the required settings in my network adapter to enable Wake on LAN
- I've disabled "Fast Startup" in Windows 10
- I'm using the "Wake on LAN" software application from Aquila Technology
- The software is installed on both my desktop and laptop and I've tested it with the desktop in "listening" mode and verified that the desktop receives "magic" wake-up packets when it is up-and-running
- When my desktop system is powered down and I send it a Magic Packet in exactly the same way as I did when it was powered up, nothing happens and it doesn't respond to the wake-up packet
Any suggestions of what I can do to further troubleshoot this problem?
From your Desktop:
- Open registry:
Add a DWORD: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and set the value to 1
Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment-> Force shutdown from a remote system
Add Everyone to the list
Thanks, I tried that and it didn't solve the problem. The system still doesn't respond to a wake-up packet
Do you have the Network adapter set as shown ?
If so, try with Admin command prompt from your Laptop:
shutdown /s /m \\COMPUTERNAME /t 0
shutdown /s /m \\IP ADDRESS /t 0
Thanks for your response...that is exactly the way my NIC card is set up and I tried the command prompt from my laptop and I was able to successfully shut down the desktop computer from a command prompt on my laptop.
I think my problem may have something to do with an "EnablePME" setting that I saw referenced in another forum. I think that has to be set for Wake-on-LAN to work but that setting is not available in the advanced properties on my NIC card. Perhaps I have to set that through the registry?
Try a free ware from Nirsoft: WakeMeOnLan - Turn on computers on your network with Wake-on-LAN packet
and run it, you'll get a GUI interface but can also run from the Admin command prompt with switches.
To wake up computer:
WakeMeOnLan.exe /wakeup xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ====> the MAC ID
WakeMeOnLan.exe /wakeup IP ADDRESS
WakeMeOnLan.exe /wakeup COMPUTER NAME
To shut down:
Use Shutdown command as before
Thanks, I am using a similar product called "WakeOnLAN" which I actually like better but I did try the WakeMeOnLAN application as well and still was not able to wake up the desktop computer.
Is your PC setup in the router to have a static IP ?
No, it's not setup with a static IP address, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference if I'm using the MAC address to try to wake it up. I have also verified that it is receiving the WakeUp packet when it is powered up because the WakeOnLAN tool has a "listen" capability that will display the packets that it receives. For that reason, I don't think the problem is that it is not receiving the packet.
The only problem that I haven't been able to resolve is the "Enable PME" setting...I think that could be a problem but my Qualcomm Atheros NIC card does not provide a way to modify that setting.
I always assign a static IP for all my devices to link to their MAC ID's and never have any problem. For testing purpose, at least try that. Make sure to reboot everything so DNS would reflect the changes.
i hope someone here can help me.
i just installed windows 10 and have bsod.
Checked drivers updated and memory test and hard disk all is good.
crahes usually on wake up.
before had windows 7 and same problem :(
The computer won't automatically sleep any longer after 20 minutes. When I manually put it to sleep, it all sleeps; however, it won't wake up. Instead, when I move the mouse, I hear the fans engage for <1 second and then all peripherals go dark and...
After the last build my Pc would not wake up, after some tweeking i decided to re-set all the Bios power settings to the Mother board manul`s default settings. Its worked fine up untill yesturday now I have to press the re-set button to...
I have posted that my pc was working fine with windows 10TP.
today i left the machine (working doing its updates etc (left turned on)).
when after a few hours i went to use the pc it would not wake up i had to unplug at the mains to get it going...
I have only just noticed that since the last build(9879). when my pc goes into sleep mode I cannot wake it up without having to press the reset button. usually I just wiggle the mouse and it comes on in the lock screen and enter password.I...