Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Mar 2016 #141
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 181
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by ellisol View Post
    This post is in reference to original topic "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer".

    Background
    I got a Dell laptop from a customer that after a Windows 10 update the networking stopped working. Using the troubleshooting gives:

    "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

    and more detail shows:

    "Windows Sockets Registry Entries Required for Network Connectivity are missing".

    I did many hours of Googling and tried all the netsh commands, Fix TCPIP programs, etc. The laptop was using Defender for virus protection but when I went into network properties I noticed the following item:

    Avast! Firewall Driver

    I downloaded and ran the avastclear.exe program and after it did its thing and rebooted my network was working again.

    I hope this helps someone and save them time.
    Just an FYI: Windows Defender should not be utilized as it's not even remotely reliable, not to mention it continues to score horrendously when compared to other antivirus/anti-malware software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Mar 2016 #142
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    UK
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10

    After all that I found that by resetting the router and the Mycloud device together, everything is now working.
    However I would not have worked this out unless I had gone into the router admin and found that while the device was recognized, it was not seen to be running.
    Thanks for the tip JW0914
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Mar 2016 #143
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 181
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwalker1 View Post
    After all that I found that by resetting the router and the Mycloud device together, everything is now working.
    However I would not have worked this out unless I had gone into the router admin and found that while the device was recognized, it was not seen to be running.
    Thanks for the tip JW0914
    No problem. Generally, if you have a network issue, it's best to start from the most basic possible problem and work your way up in complexity. For most home networks, especially if it's a case of it used to work, but now doesn't, generally rebooting the router, the device with the issue, and sometimes PC, the problem can be fixed.

    In case other users read the last thread page prior to posting, the network protocols error may or may not occur on certain Win 10 builds, however, it is not indicative of an actual network problem.

    • From what can be pieced together, the educated consensus is Windows is seeing a missing registry value it believes should exist (but actually shouldn't exist)
      • It then interprets this to mean a specific group policy option has been set, even though the aforementioned policy is correctly set to not configured (it's default, and correct, value).

    Last edited by JW0914; 03 Mar 2016 at 23:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Mar 2016 #144
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    UK
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by JW0914 View Post
    No problem. Generally, if you have a network issue, it's best to start from the most basic possible problem and work your way up in complexity. For most home networks, especially if it's a case of it used to work, but now doesn't, generally rebooting the router, the device with the issue, and sometimes PC, the problem can be fixed.

    In case other users read the last thread page prior to posting, the network protocols error may or may not occur on certain Win 10 builds, however, it is not indicative of an actual network problem.

    • From what can be pieced together, the educated consensus is Windows is seeing a missing registry value it believes should exist (but actually shouldn't exist)
      • It then interprets this to mean a specific group policy option has been set, even though the aforementioned policy is correctly set to not configured (it's default, and correct, value).


    Incidentally, I spoke to the Western Digital helpline for 90 minutes, and Microsoft's helpline for just over an hour.
    Both services did their best, and the Microsoft technician even took control of my machine for 50 minutes but could solve nothing. I would have thought that the bug that creates this error message in their system should have been well known to them, but not so it seems. Operating systems are so complex...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Mar 2016 #145
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 181
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwalker1 View Post
    Incidentally, I spoke to the Western Digital helpline for 90 minutes, and Microsoft's helpline for just over an hour.
    Both services did their best, and the Microsoft technician even took control of my machine for 50 minutes but could solve nothing. I would have thought that the bug that creates this error message in their system should have been well known to them, but not so it seems. Operating systems are so complex...
    Tech Support is only as knowledgeable as the documentation they have access to, so unless the tech support reps either encountered the issue, or happened upon a forum thread, if their documentation doesn't mention it, they don't know.

    While tech support reps do receive training, they're generally not reps with degrees in IT or Networking, nor have they, generally, received any advanced training in either.
    • Some companies do offer tech support reps in their call centers that do have degrees in IT and/or Networking, but those are generally corporate to corporate businesses that sell only to corporations, such as Sophos. Regular, non-business, consumers can also benefit from that level of expertise via services, software, or OSes those companies offer for free use to non-businesses.

    Sophos, for example, easily offers one of the best, if not the best, Unified Threat Management router OSes [Sophos UTM], of which is offered for free to individuals with a 50 DHCP IP limit [even more awesome, the OS is the exact version licensed to enterprise customers] VMware also has a similar structure, offering VM software that's licensed to corporations for free to individuals.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Mar 2016 #146
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    My issue is the complete opposite the OP's. Hoping someone can help me. All other devices in the house (iPad, phones, other laptops etc.) can connect to the wireless. However the desktop PC that is connected via Ethernet cannot get connected to the Internet (except via Wireless as it also has a built-in wireless router). I am getting the "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer" error as well. Please help!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Mar 2016 #147
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 181
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneSteve View Post
    My issue is the complete opposite the OP's. Hoping someone can help me. All other devices in the house (iPad, phones, other laptops etc.) can connect to the wireless. However the desktop PC that is connected via Ethernet cannot get connected to the Internet (except via Wireless as it also has a built-in wireless router). I am getting the "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer" error as well. Please help!!
    Since you reported the posts informing you that reading is a skill many seem to forget they have, I'll take a more direct approach... your issue is addressed 3 posts up. Had you bothered to take the time to read the last page of the thread prior to posting, you would have had your issue fixed by now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    05 Mar 2016 #148
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,311
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter

    Open Device Manager, open "Network Adapters", right click on "Ethernet Controller"...."Disable" then "Enable".
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    05 Mar 2016 #149
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by JW0914 View Post
    Since you reported the posts informing you that reading is a skill many seem to forget they have, I'll take a more direct approach... your issue is addressed 3 posts up. Had you bothered to take the time to read the last page of the thread prior to posting, you would have had your issue fixed by now.
    Ummm....I didn't report anything but thanks for the tip. If you had shared that with me earlier instead of being pretentious things would have gone a little smoother.
    In any case the issue was resolved without me needing to do anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    05 Mar 2016 #150
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Just my tuppence worth


    Just to add to this topic, here is my experience. Both my laptop and home desktop installed a windows update a few days ago just before I left for work. I was then unable to connect to the internet in two hotels and running the troubleshooter gave the missing network protocols message. It turns out that the home desktop also has this error now. After a couple of days trying to find a solution, I had a look at the windows update history and the last update was 1511. I have just uninstalled this update on my laptop, restarted and lo and behold I can now connect to the internet again. So in my case, it definitely was caused by this update for whatever reason.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved No URL protocols work (http, steam, ms-settings, ...) - "OS can't run"
EDIT: Solved! The second error message I found (about missing ordinal #581 in ieframe.dll) was the clue I needed. The problem happened because I had IE Dev Preview installed. It's an App-V package and it can be easily uninstalled by running these...
Performance & Maintenance
WiFi Windows 10 upgrade after making 2 (Network adapter), the network
28883 My pc wifi 2 adapter network no screnn :(
Network and Sharing
Casting video from Windows 10: what protocols?
Hi, I understand the new media player in Windows 10 will cast to a media center such as an Nexus Player or Amazon Fire TV, much like Airplay, but will access local media. Is this a Google Cast (Chrome cast), Miracast, DNLA or some other...
General Support
No longer see Network Attached Storage in Network View on Build 10049
I can no longer see my Network Attached Storage in this build(10049) Enterprise. I have Network Discovery enabled and can get to the device by IP Address in a browser but am unable to map a drive to any share. Anyone else having these issues. I have...
Network and Sharing
W10 INCOMING connections - missing network protocols
Hi there It seems that for earlier computers such as XP / W7 or even Linux machines connecting TO a W10 machine causes problems unless you connect via an IP address. Even if you apply the "Fix automatically" it still doesn't work and if you...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums