Windows 10: Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser

  1.    12 Nov 2015 #1

    Unable to do ethernet direct cable connect-homeuser


    I have been unable to do a direct cable connect. Settings are not available. In settings, to do a cable connect it asks for a name and ISP. There isn't any. I never had a problem doing this before and I can do it with my apple computer. It has now been 2 days trying to figure out how to do what should be the easiest connection. No problem with any wireless----not everyone has wireless! Your microsoft stores have a long way to go to match the apple stores. I have been very disappointed with the lack of information on solving this problem. Doesn't anyone realize that if you can't get a connection to the internet it is very difficult to communicate or download any patches.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 12,432
    W10Prox64
       12 Nov 2015 #2

    applevwindows10 said: View Post
    I have been unable to do a direct cable connect. Settings are not available. In settings, to do a cable connect it asks for a name and ISP. There isn't any. I never had a problem doing this before and I can do it with my apple computer. It has now been 2 days trying to figure out how to do what should be the easiest connection. No problem with any wireless----not everyone has wireless! Your microsoft stores have a long way to go to match the apple stores. I have been very disappointed with the lack of information on solving this problem. Doesn't anyone realize that if you can't get a connection to the internet it is very difficult to communicate or download any patches.
    Hi applevwindows10 and welcome to Tenforums.

    This forum is not a part of Microsoft, so if you'd like to get feedback to them, you'd be best off using the Feedback app which is integral to Windows 10. That way, you can be sure someone from Microsoft sees it. (Of course, you need to get online to do that! )

    Now, on to your problem.
    I assume when you say "direct cable connect" you are referring to plugging an ethernet cable from your desktop's NIC to your modem or router. Is that correct? If so, then you are correct, there are no settings to be specified when doing this; you simply plug in each end. If your router/modem is assigning IP addresses correctly, you should get right online without issue.

    Things to check would be your wired NIC drivers, your ethernet cable, and your modem/router port.
    For example: in Device Manager, right-click your wired NIC and check for updates. Swap out the ethernet cable to make sure it hasn't gone bad. Verify the light on the back of your computer at the NIC port is illuminated. Switch ports on your router/modem to see if that makes a difference. Verify the light for that port is lit when connected. Call your ISP and ask them if they can "see" your computer's NIC (Yes, they can see it if it's working). If they can't, you may have a dead NIC.

    Now, if you're trying to make an ad-hoc connection to a MAC's internet connection, well, that's a different story.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,842
    Mac OS Sierra
       13 Nov 2015 #3

    If you are trying to share a connection with a Windows computer acting as a Wireless Access Point or as a Bridge. You need to create a "Bridge" connection between the two adapters.

    Mac OS-X makes it easier, because of the nature of BSD & Linux distro's do it through Network Connections.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Nov 2015 #4

    Ethernet cable


    Thanks for your comments. The Microsoft store advised me to use the forums to alert Microsoft of my problem. I am using a cable connection that is used by an apple computer--so that could be the problem. I did not think the
    company identified by type of OS. I'll check.

    Thanks




    simrick said: View Post
    Hi applevwindows10 and welcome to Tenforums.

    This forum is not a part of Microsoft, so if you'd like to get feedback to them, you'd be best off using the Feedback app which is integral to Windows 10. That way, you can be sure someone from Microsoft sees it. (Of course, you need to get online to do that! )

    Now, on to your problem.
    I assume when you say "direct cable connect" you are referring to plugging an ethernet cable from your desktop's NIC to your modem or router. Is that correct? If so, then you are correct, there are no settings to be specified when doing this; you simply plug in each end. If your router/modem is assigning IP addresses correctly, you should get right online without issue.

    Things to check would be your wired NIC drivers, your ethernet cable, and your modem/router port.
    For example: in Device Manager, right-click your wired NIC and check for updates. Swap out the ethernet cable to make sure it hasn't gone bad. Verify the light on the back of your computer at the NIC port is illuminated. Switch ports on your router/modem to see if that makes a difference. Verify the light for that port is lit when connected. Call your ISP and ask them if they can "see" your computer's NIC (Yes, they can see it if it's working). If they can't, you may have a dead NIC.

    Now, if you're trying to make an ad-hoc connection to a MAC's internet connection, well, that's a different story.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,894
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       13 Nov 2015 #5

    I may have missed it but if connecting a computer directly to another computer using an Ethernet cable, be sure it is a Cross-over cable. The Straight-through cable is used between a computer and a Router or a Switch, additional computers can be connected the same way. There's also special USB cables useful for the same purpose such as those provided by LapLink. My MacBook Pro has an Ethernet port as do a couple of iMacs I've set up for clients, work the same as with Windows to connect to a Network or to the Internet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,842
    Mac OS Sierra
       14 Nov 2015 #6

    applevwindows10 said: View Post
    Thanks for your comments. The Microsoft store advised me to use the forums to alert Microsoft of my problem. I am using a cable connection that is used by an apple computer--so that could be the problem. I did not think the
    company identified by type of OS. I'll check.

    Thanks
    Forget everything that the ex Fry cooks at the "Microsoft Store" told you. It is like asking someone who digs sewers for a living, if you should go have some tests done, because you are not feeling well.

    This forum is loaded with information, that you just need to access. Especially with the tutorials.

    With BSD/Linux. It is so easy to use to adapters at the same time, it is like making Chocolate Milk.

    Microsoft is the one that makes you run in circles, trying to do even the most simple of tasks.

    BSD/Linux Networking was created to allow you to use the OS as a server, Proxy, VPN, or Router.

    A couple of clicks in the Networking Connections and you are done, before you can open up the Control Panel and Networking in Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,842
    Mac OS Sierra
       14 Nov 2015 #7

    If you are paying for the connection, just go get a $30 Wireless Access Point/Gateway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then...
This used to be a simple network trick -> connect two Windows PCs using network cable, go into adapter settings -> IPv4 -> set one IP to 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.2, then you can easily see the other computer and copy/move files. Not when I...
Solved my PC is unable to connect to wifi in Network and Sharing
Hey. Can anyone help me with this? Changed my wifi name and password. After that I`m unable to type the password. After clicking connect it loads for a while showing "checking network requirements" and it ends with "cant connect to this network"....
Solved Windows 10 unable to connect to wifi in Network and Sharing
Hi, I purchased a new computer running Windows 10 (build 10240) today and have set up the windows. However, it will not allow me to connect to my wifi. When I use the network option in the task bar, no wifi networks are shown and it says that...
Hi Everyone. I have been using a VPN for 2 years on Windows 7 Ultimate with no problems at all. But it will not connect up on Windows 10 pro, on my PC, I keep getting this message windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1 any help would be very much...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:17.
Find Us