Windows 10: "Access is Denied" when trying to view contents of shared folder Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 2,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.540)
       05 Nov 2015 #11

    Well to share a folder of Vista or higher with Windows XP you must go to Advanced Sharing Options and Turn off password protected sharing. Also make sure that the shared folder gives full access to Administrators. If this doesn't work you have to also enable full access for Everyone (for certain folders in C, not the whole drive). This is also true for the personal folders (Documents, Pictures etc). Even if you have shared them, you must give full access to open them from XP or you get an Access Denied error. Since you will be giving full access to everyone, be careful which folders you share. Remove access (from security settings) to sensitive folders that you don't want others to see.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Nov 2015 #12

    Hi Rich, I've got to the bottom of it, it's to do with extra default security; when UAC is enabled (default)
    Administrator context over the network is not honored. See this registry change to allow the admin user
    context to be honored -
    How to access a network shared folder with admin privilege when UAC enabled?

    2nd option is to completely disable UAC on Windows 10 (I'll leave it up to you to weigh up the pros and cons)
    It also needs a registry change:
    Settings App UAC Off - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    Option three, you could simply add "users" as well as "adminstrators" to the shares permissions "group
    or user names" -

    Interesting problem, never seen this one before !
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.540)
       05 Nov 2015 #13

    I haven't tried in Windows 10, but in Windows 8 disabling completely the UAC with the registry hack makes all Windows apps to stop working. You cannot load any modern app or the Windows Store. I set it to the minimum level, I don't disable it. As long as I grant full access to Everyone, I can open my shared folder from Windows XP and even Windows 98 (installed in a virtual machine).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Nov 2015 #14

    I found the solution: It was necessary to completely disable User Account Control (UAC). To do this, it is not sufficient to move the slider down to "Never Notify." Instead, I had to open the registry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    and there, in the right pane, modify the value of the <code>EnableLUA DWORD</code> value and set it to 0. Reboot the computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Nov 2015 #15

    Rich Pasco said: View Post
    I found the solution: It was necessary to completely disable User Account Control (UAC). To do this, it is not sufficient to move the slider down to "Never Notify." Instead, I had to open the registry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    and there, in the right pane, modify the value of the <code>EnableLUA DWORD</code> value and set it to 0. Reboot the computer.
    HI Rich,
    see my post above #13, I mentioned this 4 days ago.

    Dave
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Nov 2015 #16

    davexnet said: View Post
    HI Rich,
    see my post above #13, I mentioned this 4 days ago.

    Dave
    Oops, yes you did, Dave. Somehow I didn't see the notification of your post until after I posted today.
    But thank you again, you did nail the issue and the solution.

    - Rich
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.540)
       09 Nov 2015 #17

    Rich Pasco said: View Post
    I found the solution: It was necessary to completely disable User Account Control (UAC). To do this, it is not sufficient to move the slider down to "Never Notify." Instead, I had to open the registry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    and there, in the right pane, modify the value of the EnableLUA DWORD value and set it to 0. Reboot the computer.
    As I already mentioned, permanently disabling UAC stops access to modern Windows apps or the Windows Store. So it is not really recommended.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Nov 2015 #18

    davexnet said: View Post
    Hi Rich, I've got to the bottom of it, it's to do with extra default security; when UAC is enabled (default)
    Administrator context over the network is not honored. See this registry change to allow the admin user
    context to be honored -
    How to access a network shared folder with admin privilege when UAC enabled?

    2nd option is to completely disable UAC on Windows 10 (I'll leave it up to you to weigh up the pros and cons)
    It also needs a registry change:
    Settings App UAC Off - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    Option three, you could simply add "users" as well as "adminstrators" to the shares permissions "group
    or user names" -

    Interesting problem, never seen this one before !
    OK, Dave, again with lots of appreciation for all your research, I think I am not up to date on all your posts.
    As my final experiment, I returned to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    and there:
    1. Turned UAC back on again, by setting EnableLUA back to 1 again, and
    2. Allowed Admin to be honored by creating a DWORD value named LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and setting it to 1.


    Having made these two changes, I rebooted my Windows 10 laptop and verified that I could still (again?) access my files over the network from my Windows XP desktop.

    I am inferring that this latter solution is the one you prefer, although personally I have always found UAC to be a huge pain that I would just as soon avoid. Time will tell.

    Thanks again for all your help, and sorry for not noticing your posts of 4 days ago when you first made them.

    - Rich
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Nov 2015 #19

    Yes, if I were in your situation more likely the policy rather than UAC. Just have a strong administrator
    and router password.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Got an Access Denied error on 1 specific folder. 1) went through lusrmgr.msc steps then also 2) went through secpol.msc steps error still remained 3) applied "Take Ownership" registry setting and took ownership of the folder. Everything...
Hi, hopefully someone has overcome this issue already. I received the Windows 10 upgrade and things worked fine - including copying files to my NAS. However I decided to do a clean install on a new SSD drive and when logged into that Windows 10 I...
ERROR MESSAGE Access Denied You don't have permission to access "http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fazy_aka_TaZx/home/invites/" on this server.Reference #18.b1f31502.1439008845.47ab9a03 Hello there, I use steam. So basically what's happening...
Hello and hope this finds anyone who is reading this well. I tried to take screenshots via the WinKey+PrtSc and the Fn+WinKey+PrtSc method. As expected, the screen briefly dimmed and then reestablished normal illumination as you would expect...
Unable to delete folder, unable to change permissions, and unable to get One Drive to read to Documents folder correctly. I have attempted five times and each time it fails. So I try to delete the One Drive folder so I can reboot and try again,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03.
Find Us