Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    31 Oct 2014 #1

    Plex Video streamer (DLNA) - Any problems ?? on W10


    Hi there

    Anybody using a DECENT DLNA video streamer from W10 -- I've been using PLEX (on Windows and Linux) but before I start creating new movie libraries etc on W10 does it work.

    I stream to a Blu Ray LG smart player (BD440) and the odd Samsung TV or two.

    I think I also need to open Port 32400 for this too.

    Anybody got this working OK -- The Remote TV's etc are all decent Wi-Fi connected while the LG BD player is LAN connected (as is the server).

    Added -- Works fine although it's a bit fiddly to get subtitles to work.

    The other alternative (Servillo) couldn't recognize my device(s) so that's a no no --also scanning the libraries took AGES so BYE BYE that one.

    The trick seems to be that the subtitle file (.srt) needs ti have the same name (apart from the .srt suffix) as the main movie.

    Works fine also when a USB device is plugged in as well to the BD player -- even a USB3 external USB drive.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 31 Oct 2014 at 10:08.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,467
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Oct 2014 #2

    I'm using Mezzmo without any problems. Never tried Plex so I can't answer if it works or not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    01 Nov 2014 #3

    Winuser said: View Post
    I'm using Mezzmo without any problems. Never tried Plex so I can't answer if it works or not.
    Hi there

    Mezzmo is not FREE - might be worth the 30 USD - but PLEX is 100% free and works on Linux too -- seems to have found all the hardware I need to use it on including smart phones.

    The main problem I've found with plex is getting subtitles to work decently - it's fiddly but does work - and using the INFO / Control on the remote on the BD player the subtitles can be switched on or off -- you need to NAME the srt files correctly and update (refresh) the library.

    WARNING : Those who use opensubtitles.org to obtain / refresh their subtitles via automatic scripts - the site blocks downloads after you've downloaded about 30 or so for 24 hours - so the name OPEN is misleading -- open if you only need about 10 subtitles !!! -- hopeless if building a movie library. Use SUBSCENE/YIFI SUBTITLES or that polish site I think it's called podnasky.net or something like that - but also a good FREE safe source of subtitles.

    I've tested PLEX in W10 -- does work so I'll stick with PLEX. (Ran it as a VM - shared the Movie library so I didn't have to re-build -- but with these media streamers you need an EXCELLENT Wi-Fi connection -- better is a LAN (a REAL one -- I'm not sure how good those ones are that use your electricity cables - they work OK but not sure of the speed).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,467
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Nov 2014 #4

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Winuser said: View Post
    I'm using Mezzmo without any problems. Never tried Plex so I can't answer if it works or not.
    Hi there

    Mezzmo is not FREE - might be worth the 30 USD - but PLEX is 100% free and works on Linux too -- seems to have found all the hardware I need to use it on including smart phones.

    The main problem I've found with plex is getting subtitles to work decently - it's fiddly but does work - and using the INFO / Control on the remote on the BD player the subtitles can be switched on or off -- you need to NAME the srt files correctly and update (refresh) the library.

    WARNING : Those who use opensubtitles.org to obtain / refresh their subtitles via automatic scripts - the site blocks downloads after you've downloaded about 30 or so for 24 hours - so the name OPEN is misleading -- open if you only need about 10 subtitles !!! -- hopeless if building a movie library. Use SUBSCENE/YIFI SUBTITLES or that polish site I think it's called podnasky.net or something like that - but also a good FREE safe source of subtitles.

    I've tested PLEX in W10 -- does work so I'll stick with PLEX. (Ran it as a VM - shared the Movie library so I didn't have to re-build -- but with these media streamers you need an EXCELLENT Wi-Fi connection -- better is a LAN (a REAL one -- I'm not sure how good those ones are that use your electricity cables - they work OK but not sure of the speed).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    You asked if anyone is using a decent DNLA in Windows 10. I must have missed the part that it had to be free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    08 Nov 2014 #5

    Hi there

    Thanks for the reply - I don't have any problem with commercial software but I generally try the FREE stuff first - often it works just as well as a commercial version - which while having more functionality doesn't necessarily give me what I want. A lot of extras in commercial software aren't what I'd use normally.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,467
    Windows 10 Pro
       08 Nov 2014 #6

    I did try a couple of free DLNA programs before trying Mezzmo. I don't think Plex was one of them. For me Mezzmo was more to my liking so I went with it. I have used Mezzmo in Windows 7,8,8.1 and 10 with no problems. I haven't tried the Android App yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 16,465
    Windows 10
       08 Nov 2014 #7

    Winuser said: View Post
    I did try a couple of free DLNA programs before trying Mezzmo. I don't think Plex was one of them. For me Mezzmo was more to my liking so I went with it. I have used Mezzmo in Windows 7,8,8.1 and 10 with no problems. I haven't tried the Android App yet.
    The Android App is nice, it gives good information about your media (full metadata) and allows you to queue things up to be played

    I used to use Plex before Mezzmo and found it very good, and nice being able to get their own app on devices (TV, BluRay) instead of the generic DLNA playing software

    For me though, it was the added features of Mezzmo that made me switch, play counts, last played date, smart playlists, very nice piece of software

    It is about a year sincei used Plex so not sure what has been added since I last used
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    09 Nov 2014 #8

    Hi there

    Mezzmo is fine -- just need a bit of Library re-arranging

    Only one issue -- Playing the movie They Live (1988) freezes my remote BD box - have to SWITCH OFF and ON again to re-start.

    Probably my rip was defective -- trying a new download from a Torrent (sh !!!!!!). I paid for the original disc so I don't feel guilty using another person's rip.

    Subtitles work much better with Mezzmo too = whether built in (burned in) or external.

    You DO need to set your remote device protocol correctly in the config or the mkv files if you have any won't be played.

    Going UP folders etc maintains Navigation - on Plex you have to restart again. !!!


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 09 Nov 2014 at 06:18.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2014
    Posts : 59
    win 7 8 10
       08 Jan 2015 #9

    I have been using Serviio on windows 8.1 its recognized on windows 10 Ent 9879 will see if I can install it on 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    09 Jan 2015 #10

    Hi there

    Just to say MEZZMO only works on Windows - my servers are Linux and I don't intend to change those over any time soon if ever.

    My big problem with MEZZMO though is that sometimes if you add a .srt subtitle file then it HANGS the REMOTE blu ray player !!!! I have to switch it off and re-start it. PLEX just ignores the subtitles and plays those files.

    I agree that MEZZMO is a bit more polished (should be as its commercial software) but the freedom of being able to use LINUX is worth it to me and the latest release of PLEX running on CENTOS 7 is just fine.

    Subtitles though are "Iffy" so I can burn the ones that don't work properly with HANDBRAKE then it has no problems with a remux and also plays mkv / mp4 / avi just fine. I haven't had any freezes on the remote blu ray player.

    Note with PLEX you have to re-connect after watching a movie - not a mega problem - and set up your library to scan for VIDEO not MOVIE - otherwise TV episodes labelled xxxxxxS01E01 for example won't be included in your movie library -- so watch your naming conventions too.

    Anyway the answer is MEZZMO does work in W10 but I'm sticking to the FREE PLEX on Linux (it also works on Windows too).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
HP Stream Notebook...Wifi Problems, Usb Problems, with Windows 10
Hi, New to this Forum. I have a Hp-Stream 13, which I installed Windows 10. I immediately started having problems with Wifi. The image on the taskbar shows a partially yellowed out Wifi Icon. When I try to go online a windows message comes...
Drivers and Hardware
Amazon Fire TV USB stick - PLEX media server
Hi there. Does anybody know if the Amazon Fire TV usb stick will allow the PLEX media server to stream movies from your computer to the TV. I was thinking of getting one of these to use in a "Non smart" but USB capable TV. I can have PLEX...
Software and Apps
Networking Problems
Hello All, I have three computers, each with a different OS flavor: Win 7 Home Premium, Win 7 Pro, and Win 10, Build 9926. All three computers show in my file manager under Network, but only 2 are available for actual use (the two Win 7 versions)....
Network and Sharing
Sleep problems
I have two pc's, each running build 9897, not dual booting which have sleep problems. One reboots to desktop after about 5 seconds when using the mouse to put it to sleep. The sleep button on the keyboard, however works as expected but when pressing...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:05.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums