1.    24 Oct 2014 #1

    build 9860 Win 7 and XP machine access (solved)


    Hi there

    Old network problem has re-appeared again in build 9860 W7 and XP machines cannot access W10 machine. W10 machine CAN access W7 and XP.

    The XP and W7 machines CAN access W10 when accessed by IP address but it doesn't work by HOSTNAME (or computer name). I am using DHCP so no fixed Hosts files with IP address and Hostname fixed in a config file.

    Note problem is connections FROM XP / W7 TO W10 not the other way around. (W8.1 machines work fine)

    Now with a bit of Googling and testing you can make it all work.

    If you BLOCK port 139 in the windows 10 firewall it all works fine again -- seems the older computer systems use both ports 445 and 139 while Windows 10 only wants to listen to port 445 - so if you block port 139 the older OS'es switch to port 445 which works properly.

    If you switch OFF the firewall you'll get a problem again because the older OS'es will send out via Port 139 which W10 isn't listening for - but won't get a notification that the request is not accepted so they won't fall back to port 445.

    First time I've found that testing is EASIER with the Firewall ON !!!!!!.

    You do NOT need to lower the encryption security from the default 128 bit (even for XP machines) in the file sharing setup in Network connections (control panel). Just block port 139 (on the W10 machine).


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 24 Oct 2014 at 05:31.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10
       03 Nov 2014 #2

    Something tells me that Microsoft will not find it in their best interest to make NetBIOS backward compatible with XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Samba3 platforms. They have moved on to implementing SMB2/SMB3 and so has Samba with the release of Samba4.

    I found it easier, in my three PC home network environment, to simply disable NetBIOS and use the each PC's hosts file with static IPs for name resolution. With Windows (since Windows 7) using "network discovery", my PC are automatically seen in "Network". I guess they would be seen even if they were in different workgroups, though I've never tested this.

    So I have officially kicked my XP, Vista, Fedora, CentOS 6.x systems to the curb. I'll keep Win7 around a little while longer. I now have to spend 2 weeks of my life doing a CentOS 7.x install since it comes with Samba4. And when Win10 is officially released all PCs will be migrated to the new platform. Thereby assuring full compatibility. These mixed Windows network environments are just to painful to deal with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,560
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Nov 2014 #3

    kd833 said: View Post
    So I have officially kicked my XP, Vista, Fedora, CentOS 6.x systems to the curb. I'll keep Win7 around a little while longer. I now have to spend 2 weeks of my life doing a CentOS 7.x install since it comes with Samba4. And when Win10 is officially released all PCs will be migrated to the new platform. Thereby assuring full compatibility. These mixed Windows network environments are just to painful to deal with.
    For a fellow CentOS user: Did you know that CentOS runs extremely well on Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows 10: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10, no networking issues with Windows 10 host.

    The best part is that CentOS version 7 has the required integration components included in install image, it is one of the Hyper-V's officially supported Linux guest operating systems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    05 Nov 2014 #4

    Kari said: View Post
    kd833 said: View Post
    So I have officially kicked my XP, Vista, Fedora, CentOS 6.x systems to the curb. I'll keep Win7 around a little while longer. I now have to spend 2 weeks of my life doing a CentOS 7.x install since it comes with Samba4. And when Win10 is officially released all PCs will be migrated to the new platform. Thereby assuring full compatibility. These mixed Windows network environments are just to painful to deal with.
    For a fellow CentOS user: Did you know that CentOS runs extremely well on Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows 10: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10, no networking issues with Windows 10 host.

    The best part is that CentOS version 7 has the required integration components included in install image, it is one of the Hyper-V's officially supported Linux guest operating systems.
    Hi there

    Just trying the new release of OPENSUSE (13.2) released yesterday. I'll have a go with CentOS later.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Dec 2014
    Posts : 11
    XP,W7,W10,Mint
       01 Dec 2014 #5

    Thank you


    jimbo45 said: View Post
    "If you BLOCK port 139 in the windows 10 firewall it all works fine again..."
    jimbo
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the solution I've been seeking for several weeks and countless hours.

    (Now, if only I can get as satisfactory a resolution to my 16-bit program problem...)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2014
    Posts : 11
    XP,W7,W10,Mint
       01 Dec 2014 #6

    Thank you


    jimbo45 said: View Post
    "If you BLOCK port 139 in the windows 10 firewall it all works fine again..."
    jimbo
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the solution I've been seeking for several weeks and countless hours.

    (Now, if only I can get as satisfactory a resolution to my 16-bit program problem...)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved...Removal of Quick access and DnD
To anyone having this problem, I'm not sure when it started, but all of a sudden I discovered that I did not have the ability to Drag and Drop a file from File Explorer's right pane to the left pane. I get the circle with line through it...
Customization
Help - Network Gurus there Can't access W10 machine from another W10
Hi there Going BONKERS over this (Build 10166) Two computers on a LAN REDSQUIRREL running W10 PRO X-64 on a physical laptop logged on with a LOCAL account, BLACKDOG running W10 Enterprise X-64 with an Ms account. 1) REDSQUIRREL does not...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 TP Latest build install on an empty machine
Right, so I've got a laptop that I'm currently trying to install windows 10 tp onto. It's the exact same model as the one I'm running on (it's my brothers, and I'm trying to fix it for him), but I've hit a snag. The insider program website says...
Installation and Setup
Build 9860 ISO
My prefered pc refuses to upgrade to build 9860 so I tried, sucessfully to upgrade the second one. Before I had configured restore it crashed big time. I have removed the hdd and formatted it, I won't bother to put it on that machine again. I was...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available
524631057295896576 See: We're rolling out our first new build to the Windows Insider Program
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:21.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums