1.    04 Oct 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10

    Long Time to Connect


    I recently upgraded one of my laptops from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. Ever since then it has been taking a much longer time for the laptop to connect to either of my home networks (two different homes). This is with either WiFi or Ethernet.

    When it was running Win7 it would connect to either home's network in a few seconds. Now it usually takes over a minute, as much as two minutes. Once it does connect everything works fine.

    Any ideas on what the problem might be?

    Thanks.
    Peter
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Oct 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 493
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmokover View Post
    I recently upgraded one of my laptops from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. Ever since then it has been taking a much longer time for the laptop to connect to either of my home networks (two different homes). This is with either WiFi or Ethernet.

    When it was running Win7 it would connect to either home's network in a few seconds. Now it usually takes over a minute, as much as two minutes. Once it does connect everything works fine.

    Any ideas on what the problem might be?

    Thanks.
    Peter
    Try restarting the local modem. I once had the slow connection problem and it turned out the computer was trying to use the second modem in my house that only used for our landline phone connection (Comcast) and was connecting "the long way around" as my Comcast technician told me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Oct 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I should have been more specific in my original message. The time I'm referring to has nothing to do with the Internet or cable modem. It has to do with how long it takes my now Win10 laptop to connect to my local network. How long it takes before the laptop sees my other PCs and the others see it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Oct 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 493
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmokover View Post
    I should have been more specific in my original message. The time I'm referring to has nothing to do with the Internet or cable modem. It has to do with how long it takes my now Win10 laptop to connect to my local network. How long it takes before the laptop sees my other PCs and the others see it.
    Does your router have the latest firmware update?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Oct 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbarnhorst View Post
    Does your router have the latest firmware update?
    Yes it does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Oct 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Update: When I connect my Win10 laptop to my network, the other PCs on the network "see" the laptop within a few seconds however it takes over a minute for the laptop to see the other PCs. Before upgrading the laptop to Win10, when it was still running Win7, it took only a few seconds for it to see the other PCs.

    Peter
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Oct 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 493
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmokover View Post
    Update: When I connect my Win10 laptop to my network, the other PCs on the network "see" the laptop within a few seconds however it takes over a minute for the laptop to see the other PCs. Before upgrading the laptop to Win10, when it was still running Win7, it took only a few seconds for it to see the other PCs.

    Peter
    This may be normal behavior at this point in Windows 10s progress. I suggest reporting it as a problem with the Windows Feedback app or upvote feedback already reported if you haven't already done so.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Long boot time, both reboot and first start up
Hi all, Im having a nasty bug after installing the latest update (KB3081424), after loading Windows i get a black screen for about 40 sec to a min, and then W10 logs me in to the systeem. Between the black screen and my login name and welcome i...
Performance & Maintenance
Very long time to restart!
Hi all, I'm having this issue since I upgraded to Win 10: when I click restart, my laptop becomes stuck on the restart screen for ages, even the hard drive doesn't show any signs of activity. Its only after like 15 mins or so the hard drive comes...
General Support
Long Installing time for Windows 10 Pro
Cpu: i7 4790k Main Drive: Kingston Hyperx Fury M.2 Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 pro Using MediaCreationToolx64 to upgrade After 6 hours of installing the blue circle proceeded to 10% with 34% copying files. I wonder am i the only one? I...
Installation and Upgrade
Unusually long boot time
I can't quite get a handle on this issue. Why would having USB drives attached to system increase boot time from 8 seconds to 110 seconds? Never happened on old 560 box, but does on new 3847. Dell says, "That's the way it is". Sounds odd....
Drivers and Hardware
Long install time
I chose to try the upgrade exe file to install Windows 10 update to Windows 8.1. I started at 5PM. It is now 1015 PM and it's at 25%. I don't dare stop it, but have others experienced this? I forgot to mention that the upgrade is going on to 5 year...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:05.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums