[Desktop] Airplane Mode will not turn off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       #1

    [Desktop] Airplane Mode will not turn off.


    I have seen a couple other threads but none that match my specific situation.

    I have a desktop computer with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. I have installed the latest drivers from the MFG website (ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula). The problem is that Airplane mode will not disable. When you click on it, it shows that you clicked on it, but immediately resets to "On" no matter what.

    [Desktop] Airplane Mode will not turn off.-airplane01.png[Desktop] Airplane Mode will not turn off.-airplane02.png

    You will also notice that WiFi and Bluetooth are missing from the control panel.

    I have made sure both devices are enabled at the BIOS level, however, due to Airplane mode being forced on, they do not even show up in the device manager (even under "show hidden").

    I do not thing this is a BIOS/Driver issue; this appears to be a bug.

    Does anyone know of a registry key, etc. that can disable Airplane mode?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5
       #2

    I had this same problem Dell Win 10 laptop, I tried to install Arkuto outlook synch. Problem with my config, I had to disable port 413.
    Uninstalled program lost all connectivity. ran diagnostics, fixed wifi for 1 minute, then airplane mode would return. Finally Fn PrtScrn did trick.
    Hope this helps.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    papafrankm said:
    I had this same problem Dell Win 10 laptop, I tried to install Arkuto outlook synch. Problem with my config, I had to disable port 413.
    Uninstalled program lost all connectivity. ran diagnostics, fixed wifi for 1 minute, then airplane mode would return. Finally Fn PrtScrn did trick.
    Hope this helps.
    Sadly... on desktop machines, there are no hardware FN keys that enable/disable wifi, etc. (not to be confused with the regular F-keys)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 12,573
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #4

    My Notebooks with Win10, Dell and HP, show Airplane Mode off when Wi-Fi is on. Bluetooth will also be off when Wi-Fi is off. But when the Wi-Fi entry is missing it's a need to get the adapter to work.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Berton said:
    My Notebooks with Win10, Dell and HP, show Airplane Mode off when Wi-Fi is on. Bluetooth will also be off when Wi-Fi is off. But when the Wi-Fi entry is missing it's a need to get the adapter to work.
    This is affecting a desktop computer, not a notebook.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 12,573
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #6

    SavingPrincess said:
    This is affecting a desktop computer, not a notebook.
    Haven't seen a Win10 Desktop that showed Airplane mode unless it's one of those also included a Wi-Fi adapter in it. The 2 I have worked with that had the adapter were of the SFF/Small Form Factor style, small case.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Berton said:
    Haven't seen a Win10 Desktop that showed Airplane mode unless it's one of those also included a Wi-Fi adapter in it. The 2 I have worked with that had the adapter were of the SFF/Small Form Factor style, small case.
    As mentioned in the original post: I have a desktop computer with built in WiFi and Bluetooth.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #8

    Hi everyone I resolved my issue regarding airplane mode on my desktop. I unplugged the USB cable going from my PC to my UPS Battery and restarted.

    Once I did this, airplane mode disappeared from my system.

    I'm guessing something within the Windows 10 system detected a battery and causes Windows 10 to activate airplane mode as if the computer was a portable device. I have had my desktop for more than a year and had upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago, everything worked fine when this just popped up one day. So I'm thinking some update may have caused this but that's a guess.

    If you dont have a UPS battery or cable connected to your computer from a back-up power source, then think about, what is on your system that is reporting power levels, or something to do with your power source. Maybe that's it.

    Added note: My computer also has built-in wifi and bluetooth. I did recently add a bluetooth speaker - maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago. I don't see a connection but just in case this helps to know.

    I hope this helps someone. Good Luck.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Home
       #9

    RPerez007 said:
    Hi everyone I resolved my issue regarding airplane mode on my desktop. I unplugged the USB cable going from my PC to my UPS Battery and restarted.

    Once I did this, airplane mode disappeared from my system.

    I'm guessing something within the Windows 10 system detected a battery and causes Windows 10 to activate airplane mode as if the computer was a portable device. I have had my desktop for more than a year and had upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago, everything worked fine when this just popped up one day. So I'm thinking some update may have caused this but that's a guess.

    If you dont have a UPS battery or cable connected to your computer from a back-up power source, then think about, what is on your system that is reporting power levels, or something to do with your power source. Maybe that's it.

    Added note: My computer also has built-in wifi and bluetooth. I did recently add a bluetooth speaker - maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago. I don't see a connection but just in case this helps to know.

    I hope this helps someone. Good Luck.
    I just wanted to say "thank you" for this post! I've had this issue since Windows 10 was released and tried all the network driver updates and enabling/disabling that people were recommending and nothing worked. I would have NEVER thought to try unplugging my UPS. Sure enough -- that was it! Thanks so much for this useful post!

    I should also add that my UPS is an APC and I used to avoid installing their PowerChute software because it seemed unnecessary since Windows handles batteries automatically. But with PowerChute installed, this problem is also solved. So if you have this issue and still want to be able to manage your UPS, try installing the software. Hope this helps!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #10

    I'm having PRECISELY the same problem!


    SavingPrincess said:
    I have seen a couple other threads but none that match my specific situation.

    I have a desktop computer with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. I have installed the latest drivers from the MFG website (ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula). The problem is that Airplane mode will not disable. When you click on it, it shows that you clicked on it, but immediately resets to "On" no matter what.

    [Desktop] Airplane Mode will not turn off.-airplane01.png[Desktop] Airplane Mode will not turn off.-airplane02.png

    You will also notice that WiFi and Bluetooth are missing from the control panel.

    I have made sure both devices are enabled at the BIOS level, however, due to Airplane mode being forced on, they do not even show up in the device manager (even under "show hidden").

    I do not thing this is a BIOS/Driver issue; this appears to be a bug.

    Does anyone know of a registry key, etc. that can disable Airplane mode?
    --------------
    Your post perfectly describes my situation. I haven't found any solution that works for me, despite having spent hours searching forums like this one.

    Isn't there some way to just go into the Registry and ditch Airplane Mode altogether? It's a desktop, for crying out loud! Why am I even having to deal with this situation?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums