Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Oct 2014 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Fast Ring

    Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different.


    1. Not necessary to put in Homegroup password in Win10 if one of the other computers on the network is running. it seems to autofill.
    2. Disable password protection in network advanced sharing.
    3. Share the folders you want to show up under Homegroup by right clicking on the folder-share with- Homegroup view (or view and edit).
    4. Go around to the other computers and join the NEW Homegroup network, usually called network(some number).
    5. Keep shutting down and rebooting the computers until they all sync up.


    Homegroup should be a simple procedure. Put in the password and share files, heh. Homegroup seemed to have been enabled as a default and that Win10 KNEW my Homegroup password for my home network, probably due to my logging into my MS account on install (thank you strollin). Then the usual setup procedure on what to public shares on Homegroup and also turn off password protection sharing in the Advanced network sharing settings. Now I shared the folders I wanted to show up under homegroup in the right click on folder-share with- Homegroup view or view and edit.
    Now I had to go around and join in the already active Homegroup on my other computers. What has changed is that the network ID has gone from network2 to network3. Network2 came about when I did this same thing on Win8.
    Finally, start shutting down (not just restarting unless you have fast startup turned off) and turning back on all the computers. After a few of these reboots, all of a sudden Homegroup was a good little boy and all the computers showed up on the network and the folders that I shared would pop up. It was not necessary to go into advanced sharing and change any of the settings (thank goodness).

    If anyone knows of things that I might have had to do or had done but don't remember doing them, that I missed in this list, please comment.
    Last edited by John Pombrio; 06 Oct 2014 at 20:02.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Oct 2014 #2

    Hi there

    I use Linux servers too and HOMEGROUP is a HORRIBLE idea - I just use the old fashioned LAN system of shares without any home groups.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Oct 2014 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    N Calif
    Posts : 689
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)

    If you have Win 8 and Win 10 computers in the Homegroup and are using an MS Account to login, the Homegroup password was probably one of the things that was shared via the MS Account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    06 Oct 2014 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Fast Ring
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    If you have Win 8 and Win 10 computers in the Homegroup and are using an MS Account to login, the Homegroup password was probably one of the things that was shared via the MS Account.
    That sounds like what happened. It's more likely than scarfing up the password from the other computers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10, Build 10159.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Pombrio View Post
    That sounds like what happened. It's more likely than scarfing up the password from the other computers.
    My Wife and I couldn't get the Homegroup to work with 10166, now we're in 10240, it says that my Wife has invited me to her Homegroup, and that I need her password. However, she hasn't got a Homegroup! How can you set up another one if it says that you are already in one?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Jul 2015 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Fast Ring
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    My Wife and I couldn't get the Homegroup to work with 10166, now we're in 10240, it says that my Wife has invited me to her Homegroup, and that I need her password. However, she hasn't got a Homegroup! How can you set up another one if it says that you are already in one?
    A homegroup can reside on the MS account which can make it tricky as ALL the computers can be off of Homegroup but the MS account still thinks there is one. Make sure both computers are logged into MS (if they have accounts that is). If you see that there are folders with little faces on them, then there IS a homegroup running. Make sure the setting are OK as listed below. Then run the Homegroup troubleshooter on both. Try all that first and let me know how that works out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-16_131252.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	24691

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-16_131147.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	24692

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-16_130821.jpg 
Views:	1298 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	24693
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Jul 2015 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10, Build 10159.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Pombrio View Post
    A homegroup can reside on the MS account which can make it tricky as ALL the computers can be off of Homegroup but the MS account still thinks there is one. Make sure both computers are logged into MS (if they have accounts that is). If you see that there are folders with little faces on them, then there IS a homegroup running. Make sure the setting are OK as listed below. Then run the Homegroup troubleshooter on both. Try all that first and let me know how that works out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-16_131252.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	24691

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-16_131147.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	24692

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-16_130821.jpg 
Views:	1298 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	24693
    Hello John,
    Thanks for your reply. Your first image (the one where you've highlighted an area with a red box) where would we find that (with the system volume information)?

    Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 Jul 2015 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Fast Ring
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Hello John,
    Thanks for your reply. Your first image (the one where you've highlighted an area with a red box) where would we find that (with the system volume information)?

    Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.
    That would be in the file explorer. I just just a different program ( Directory Opus). Look at any folder that has been set to be shared on Homegroup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    17 Jul 2015 #9
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10, Build 10159.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Pombrio View Post
    That would be in the file explorer. I just just a different program ( Directory Opus). Look at any folder that has been set to be shared on Homegroup.
    Hello John,
    Despite my Wife's PC saying that she already has a Homegroup, none shows up on either of our PCs, and none of the files on either machine have the small 'people' to indicate a Homegroup.
    When I try to join the supposed Homegroup, it says "checking your password" (or something like that) even without my entering one. That then obviously fails, as my Wife hasn't got one!.

    What I think we'll do when we want to share files etc is sign in with a local account first, and try that.

    Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    17 Jul 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Florida
    Posts : 593
    W10 CU & W10 Insider

    Does IPv6 have to be enabled on all machines?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Homegroup set up requires IPV6
Trying to get my W7 machine in the workgroup with W8.1 and W10. On the W7 side I get an error saying I need IPV6? How to get that turned on? My router has it enabled but when looking at my adapter, the IPV6 portion is blank. It is set to auto, my...
Network and Sharing
Solved Win10 setup with Sandboxie
Hi, I am trying to use Sandboxie to install Win 10 64 bit on my Win 8.1 PC Well into the setup, Win10 asks for a Windows username and password. I do have want they ask for but when I type @ in the username, it is displayed as ". How can I...
Virtualization
Solved Homegroup not working correctly
hi guys, since Build 10041 the only computer with Win 10 TP is in the homegroup but that computer only shows the 3 other pc's. Changing from "Allow WIndows to manage home group connections" to 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to...
Network and Sharing
Solved Moving HomeGroup Icon
I just installed Office and a Homegroup icon appeared on my desktop. I want to move it to a different place on my desktop. Every time I try to move it, it moves right back. Is there a way to make it stick where you want it? I know how to remove...
General Support
Solved W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup
I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to set up a new one, it's as if it's not seeing the Homegroup I already have in place through W7. I...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums