Fake localhost access?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
       #1

    Fake localhost access?


    I have a service running on a local computer that exposes a web server with certain functions. The service is restricted in the following way: accessing from the same machine where the service is running, localhost, there are certain options available, but when accessing it from another PC, even from the same LAN, those options are no longer available.

    So my idea is to enter my local pc from another one of the LAN but faking a localhost access. I've done that successfully with a SSH tunnel, but, being all contained in LAN, here I ask, is there a simple method to achieve this?

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Describe what you're doing so I can understand better. Your writing doesn't help me.

    What kind of server?

    It's localhost?

    You only want localhost access or what? Sounds like you do then you don't.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 8,119
    windows 10
       #3

    Localhost is a variable set in the host file for 127.0.0. so its only for the local pc to access it from another pc you would need to use the pc ip and port number
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #4

    F22 Simpilot said:
    Describe what you're doing so I can understand better. Your writing doesn't help me.
    Samuria said:
    Localhost is a variable set in the host file for 127.0.0. so its only for the local pc to access it from another pc you would need to use the pc ip and port number
    You're right, I did not explain myself. Let me start all over. Let's say I have to PCs on my LAN, 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.15. On the 192.168.1.10 I have a service that exposes a web server, and of course, it can be accessed from within the same PC through http://localhost or through the other PC (192.168.1.15) through http://192.168.1.10. So far so typical.

    Now, the service/web server offers extra functionality if accessed ONLY from localhost, not other PCs in LAN. So, if accessed from the same PC the service is running (192.168.1.10/localhost), I can see a full list of options, and if accesed from the other PC (192.168.1.15) I will have limited options.

    What I want is to access from any PC of the LAN while maintaining the full set of options, this is, to make the service believe I'm logging from localhost, from the same machine.

    So far I've only though of port forwarding through SSH tunnel and it has actually worked. What I wanted to ask is, is there a simple method to achieve this? Port forwarding without SSH tunnel doesn't seem like an option, and I don't see a way of faking a local IP from another local IP.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by eXtremeDevil; 23 May 2023 at 01:22.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,204
    Windows 10
       #5

    VNC or remote to the host from your other computer
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Malneb said:
    VNC or remote to the host from your other computer
    Thanks, but I would like a more direct approach, with SSH tunnel I can go directly to the browser, what you propose involves opening a full desktop. In that sense I already have a TeamViewer set up.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    You don't need to port forward to access the SSH port on your LAN. Only externally on the Internet.

    What are these so-called "extra features" that IIS is offering that you can't access on another computer on the same LAN?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #8

    F22 Simpilot said:
    You don't need to port forward to access the SSH port on your LAN. Only externally on the Internet.

    What are these so-called "extra features" that IIS is offering that you can't access on another computer on the same LAN?
    It's not IIS, that was just the forum auto converting my link on the post. It's a third party app. I don't need port forwarding on my LAN to access, I know, but using it I can access from other PCs typing "localhost" and that seems to trick the service.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    You want to make sure that if you use TeamViewer you set your account with 2FA. You're better off with TightVNC or UltraVNC using ZeroTier...

    I'd throw a good hardware based firewall on there like OPNsense or pfSense....


    Will respond to your above post in a second.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
    Thread Starter
       #10

    F22 Simpilot said:
    You want to make sure that if you use TeamViewer you set your account with 2FA. You're better off with TightVNC or UltraVNC using ZeroTier...

    I'd throw a good hardware based firewall on there like OPNsense or pfSense....


    Will respond to your above post in a second.
    Don't worry, I have 2FA and a firewall as well.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums