How do you windows users use/think about Wake On Lan??

View Poll Results: Do you use Wake On Lan?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    3 16.67%
  • No.

    14 77.78%
  • What is that, is it somthing you eat?

    1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
       #1

    How do you windows users use/think about Wake On Lan??


    Hi everyone.

    I was discussing network with a friend and we discussed Wake on Lan.

    So I am curious about if normal users / power users using it... so I creating a poll.

    If you have a local home network (not businesses) with 2 or more computers.. Do you using Wake on Lan?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 15,480
    Windows10
       #2

    Problem is WOL needs ethernet connections but most people use wifi and WOWLAN (Wake On Wireless LAN is not that common and is very hit or miss (in my experience) when you have it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
    Thread Starter
       #3

    True
    and i think it was more of a thing 20 years ago when people did things just because you could to explore.
    I have it to an old laptop i use as printerserver as my printer is oooold and uses LPT1 and do not have any network interface.. or it has the option to plug in a card, but it is to old to find that card. HP laserjet 4 M Plus.. i have had it since it was new and it still works perfect.
    So i use WOL on that one so i dont have do move my butt more then necessary. *LOL*
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 352
    Windows 11 Home (x64) Version 23H2
       #4

    Nope ..... never used it ! Kind of useless to me ! JMO
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 161
    Windows 11
       #5

    I have used it for over 10 years.

    We have a desktop that is central to my home system and it is primarily used by my other half. The desktop has an attached printer (it could be wifi connected), and has a drive for system and data backups.

    My laptop is uses wifi and when I want to print or do system/data backups the WOL little batch script is run if the desktop is asleep. It takes 5-10 seconds for the desktop to come alive and then I am ready to roll.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
    Thread Starter
       #6

    It is still a young thread but thread Views: 267 and 10 votes. I'm actually a bit surprised that it is so few votes.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 31,604
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #7

    Marie SWE said:
    It is still a young thread but thread Views: 267 and 10 votes. I'm actually a bit surprised that it is so few votes.
    The views count is not the same as the number of different readers, some of them are repeat visits. Each time there's a new post and you or I come back to read it, that counts as another view.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 162
    Win 10 Pro 64b 22H2
       #8

    Marie SWE said:
    Hi everyone.

    I was discussing network with a friend and we discussed Wake on Lan.

    So I am curious about if normal users / power users using it... so I creating a poll.

    If you have a local home network (not businesses) with 2 or more computers.. Do you using Wake on Lan?
    I prefer it when my doggo pokes his warm wet nose in my face to wake me up.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
    Thread Starter
       #9

    AK6DN said:
    I prefer it when my doggo pokes his warm wet nose in my face to wake me up.

    if you learn the dog to push the powerbutton on command, then you get WakeOnDog

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bree said:
    The views count is not the same as the number of different readers, some of them are repeat visits. Each time there's a new post and you or I come back to read it, that counts as another view.
    That is true.. and guest can probably not vote but still can read.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 15,037
    Windows 10 IoT
       #10

    Not currently using it, and no plans to use it. I did tinker with it many years ago, but don't remember why?
    A vast majority of my devices just don't support it, even if connected via ethernet.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums