Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    27 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10

    Can't access some websites on wifi; new Asus Aspire + win10 upgrade


    Hi there,

    I recently purchased an Asus Aspire (model number E5-573G-75B3). It came loaded with Windows 8.1 but as soon as I ran through initial setup it gave me the option to upgrade to Windows 10, which I gratefully took. (I'd been avoiding Win 8.) Once the upgrade was done, I cleaned up the system, removing a couple pre-installed junkware programs (i.e. Pokki, etc.), then installed Firefox. So far so good.

    But when I tried recently to reach a few websites, I started running into trouble. I consistently get time-out errors on sites such as Outlook.com (also on the alias mail.live.com) and, even more frustrating, on Evernote.com. Other websites, like gmail, work just fine.

    The problem occurs regardless of whether I use the Edge browser or Firefox. My wife, using an older computer running Vista has no trouble at all reaching those sites. I also discovered that if I plug directly into the wifi modem via ethernet cable the sites come up with no problem: it only occurs when I'm using the wifi.

    Things I have tried, so far to no effect:

    • Updating the wireless driver. (I have a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377.) The system says I already have the latest driver.
    • Pinging the affected sites. Response is 4 packets sent, 4 packets received, 0% loss. Not sure why the ping goes through just fine when the site won't load.
    • Installed and ran Spybot Search & Destroy. It found a few cookies laying around, but removing those did nothing.
    • Turning off the Firewall. It came pre-installed with McAffee antivirus, which includes a firewall that appears to supercede the Windows Firewall. Disabling the McAffee firewall had no effect. I couldn't find any settings within McAffee that might allow me to explicitly whitelist any sites. I haven't yet tried uninstalling McAffee, figuring I may as well take advantage of the free period.


    Scouring the web I've seen others have had similar problems in other versions of Windows, but so far nothing I've learned has helped.

    Any advice?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 99
    Windows 8.1

    Quote Originally Posted by swatkinsjr View Post
    Hi there,

    I recently purchased an Asus Aspire (model number E5-573G-75B3). It came loaded with Windows 8.1 but as soon as I ran through initial setup it gave me the option to upgrade to Windows 10, which I gratefully took. (I'd been avoiding Win 8.) Once the upgrade was done, I cleaned up the system, removing a couple pre-installed junkware programs (i.e. Pokki, etc.), then installed Firefox. So far so good.

    But when I tried recently to reach a few websites, I started running into trouble. I consistently get time-out errors on sites such as Outlook.com (also on the alias mail.live.com) and, even more frustrating, on Evernote.com. Other websites, like gmail, work just fine.

    The problem occurs regardless of whether I use the Edge browser or Firefox. My wife, using an older computer running Vista has no trouble at all reaching those sites. I also discovered that if I plug directly into the wifi modem via ethernet cable the sites come up with no problem: it only occurs when I'm using the wifi.

    Things I have tried, so far to no effect:

    • Updating the wireless driver. (I have a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377.) The system says I already have the latest driver.
    • Pinging the affected sites. Response is 4 packets sent, 4 packets received, 0% loss. Not sure why the ping goes through just fine when the site won't load.
    • Installed and ran Spybot Search & Destroy. It found a few cookies laying around, but removing those did nothing.
    • Turning off the Firewall. It came pre-installed with McAffee antivirus, which includes a firewall that appears to supercede the Windows Firewall. Disabling the McAffee firewall had no effect. I couldn't find any settings within McAffee that might allow me to explicitly whitelist any sites. I haven't yet tried uninstalling McAffee, figuring I may as well take advantage of the free period.


    Scouring the web I've seen others have had similar problems in other versions of Windows, but so far nothing I've learned has helped.

    Any advice?
    Can you do a tracert to the sites that don't load?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Here's the result from the tracert on Evernote.com:

    Tracing route to evernote.com [204.154.94.73]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 5 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 11 ms 12 ms 20 ms 96.120.4.133
    3 71 ms 14 ms 11 ms 68.85.32.229
    4 15 ms 11 ms 11 ms xe-6-0-7-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.85.111.153]
    5 * 14 ms 11 ms lag-5.ear2.b0atlanta2.Level3.net [4.68.71.45]
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 84 ms 80 ms 80 ms EVERNOTE-CO.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.net [4.53.209.46]
    9 80 ms 81 ms 79 ms evernote.com [204.154.94.73]

    Trace complete.


    I notice that steps 6 and 7 indicate a request timeout, but that's after it's already passed through the local ISP, I think...


    Also, here's outlook.com:

    Tracing route to dispatch.kahuna.glbdns2.microsoft.com [65.55.183.176]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 11 ms 10 ms 14 ms 96.120.4.133
    3 13 ms 11 ms 12 ms 68.85.32.229
    4 13 ms 11 ms 20 ms xe-6-0-6-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.85.232.117]
    5 15 ms 14 ms 21 ms he-0-4-0-2-cr02.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.253]
    6 32 ms 14 ms 11 ms he-0-10-0-0-pe04.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.83.178]
    7 12 ms 53 ms 12 ms 66.208.216.130
    8 14 ms 12 ms 13 ms 191.234.85.16
    9 28 ms 29 ms 34 ms 104.44.8.100
    10 30 ms 40 ms 28 ms be-3-0.ibr01.bn1.network.microsoft.com [104.44.4.49]
    11 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms be-1-0.ibr02.bn1.network.microsoft.com [104.44.4.63]
    12 29 ms 32 ms 29 ms be-3-0.ibr02.was05.network.microsoft.com [104.44.4.26]
    13 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms 104.44.8.173
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 29 ms 26 ms 26 ms origin.bl172w.blu172.mail.live.com [65.55.183.176]

    Trace complete.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,283
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by swatkinsjr View Post
    Here's the result from the tracert on Evernote.com:

    Tracing route to evernote.com [204.154.94.73]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 5 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 11 ms 12 ms 20 ms 96.120.4.133
    3 71 ms 14 ms 11 ms 68.85.32.229
    4 15 ms 11 ms 11 ms xe-6-0-7-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.85.111.153]
    5 * 14 ms 11 ms lag-5.ear2.b0atlanta2.Level3.net [4.68.71.45]
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 84 ms 80 ms 80 ms EVERNOTE-CO.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.net [4.53.209.46]
    <SNIP>
    Can your wife's machine also still reach these sites at this time? Did you see Brink's post about Level3 outages currently ongoing? I don't know about 10 hours ago when you made your OP, but right now the tracert may not be a good diagnostic?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    Can your wife's machine also still reach these sites at this time? Did you see Brink's post about Level3 outages currently ongoing? I don't know about 10 hours ago when you made your OP, but right now the tracert may not be a good diagnostic?
    Yes, my wife's computer still reaches the sites just fine.

    As a point of comparison, here's the tracert to evernote.com from her machine:

    Tracing route to evernote.com [204.154.94.73]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 24 ms 174 ms 51 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 237 ms 47 ms 112 ms 96.120.4.133
    3 44 ms 31 ms 43 ms 68.85.32.229
    4 126 ms 33 ms 48 ms xe-6-0-7-0-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net
    [68.85.111.153]
    5 * * 97 ms lag-5.ear2.b0atlanta2.Level3.net [4.68.71.45]
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 221 ms 79 ms 81 ms EVERNOTE-CO.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.net [4.53.209.
    46]
    9 80 ms 84 ms 83 ms evernote.com [204.154.94.73]

    Trace complete.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 99
    Windows 8.1

    Nothing out of the ordinary in your traces. Let's reset your winsock as that's help for some in a similar situation in other OSes. Right click on your Start button, select Command Prompt (admin) and type "netsh winsock reset" (without quotes). Then try the sites again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    Nothing out of the ordinary in your traces. Let's reset your winsock as that's help for some in a similar situation in other OSes. Right click on your Start button, select Command Prompt (admin) and type "netsh winsock reset" (without quotes). Then try the sites again.
    Ran the winsock reset, then restarted my computer. Still getting timeout errors on these sites. (Also, thanks for the tip on right-clicking start to get the command prompt. I'd been using the search/Cortana feature to get around scrolling through the list of all apps to find it, but even that felt awkward to use.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    27 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 99
    Windows 8.1

    Does your McAfee include netguard?

    McAfee Help

    It's supposed to guard against risky sites but what could be risky about outlook.com and evernote.com. Let's disable it and try the sites.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 964
    Windows IP 17046

    You could also try switching your DNS to Open dns or google dns.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    28 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the idea, Sciencegeek. I'd grown suspicious of McAfee. I'll try that this evening when I'm back in front of my home machine.

    Brummyfan... sounds like that's worth a try, but I'm afraid that's an area that's pretty unfamiliar to me. How does one go about switching DNS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Not Printing with Win10 download from websites
Hello, I downloaded windows 10 but now my printer is not printing from different websites or from my email accounts. I have a Canon MX700 series. It will print only things that I have in Microsoft word but not from any site online. I also get...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Websites not shown right in all browsers since upgrade to Windows 10
Hello! I just updated to Win 10 a few days ago, now I have a Problem I never had before. Some websites (not all) i.e. Facebook oder booking.com are shown with numbers instead of letters by default. (see attachment) First I thought it is a...
Browsers and Email
HP Laptop ALMOST Unusable after upgrade to Win10 (usability,wifi, etc)
I am not a happy user at the moment. I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. After the initial upgrade I had horrible flickering screen issues that made the system unusable. I was able to diagnose, via forums, to apps issues (iCloud, Norton)....
General Support
Solved Can't set my laptop wifi to static ip address! No internet access!
I recently changed my wifi network card to Intel Centrino 6235-N. I can only access internet if I choose dynamic ip address. If I set it to static then I only get limited access, the wifi icon has a yellow triangle. I've tried every possible...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums