Windows 10: WiFi and ethernet together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    23 Aug 2015 #1

    WiFi and ethernet together


    I was wondering if it's possible to utilize both WiFi and ethernet in tandem. I'm pretty sure some of you are going to tell me that I can only access the internet through one of these, up to my bandwidth limit, but that's not what I mean.

    I'd like to access the internet through my WiFi connection, yet have a wired connection through my router to access the files on the other computers in my house. Is this even possible?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    23 Aug 2015 #2

    Ethernet actual speed advantage


    SteveS801 said: View Post
    I was wondering if it's possible to utilize both WiFi and ethernet in tandem. I'm pretty sure some of you are going to tell me that I can only access the internet through one of these, up to my bandwidth limit, but that's not what I mean.

    I'd like to access the internet through my WiFi connection, yet have a wired connection through my router to access the files on the other computers in my house. Is this even possible?
    "...Theoretical speed versus actual speed

    ... Wi-Fi is very convenient, but it does not match the speed and reliability of wired Ethernet.



    • ...though 802.11n can theoretically reach 300 Mb/s, a 100 Mb/s wired Ethernet connection will often outperform it in real-world usage, because wired Ethernet networks perform more closely to their theoretical limits and are less susceptible to outside influences..."
    • Transporter: Wi-Fi versus Ethernet performance
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    23 Aug 2015 #3

    LVMan777 said: View Post
    "...Theoretical speed versus actual speed...
    This doesn't answer my question...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Aug 2015 #4

    SteveS801 said: View Post
    I was wondering if it's possible to utilize both WiFi and ethernet in tandem. I'm pretty sure some of you are going to tell me that I can only access the internet through one of these, up to my bandwidth limit, but that's not what I mean.

    I'd like to access the internet through my WiFi connection, yet have a wired connection through my router to access the files on the other computers in my house. Is this even possible?
    If all the computers are connected through the same router, then it's pointless since they are already on the same network. If they were two separate networks, i.e. one wireless and one wired, then you can create a network bridge. Just g
    oogle "network bridge" and the process is pretty similar from windows 7 on up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    23 Aug 2015 #5

    sciencegeek said: View Post
    If all the computers are connected through the same router, then it's pointless since they are already on the same network.
    What I was hoping to do was to utilize my WiFi connection to access the internet and the wired connection to transfer files. Right now, I have to use one or the other to do both. Transferring files makes even checking email tedious.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    23 Aug 2015 #6

    SteveS801 said: View Post
    What I was hoping to do was to utilize my WiFi connection to access the internet and the wired connection to transfer files. Right now, I have to use one or the other to do both. Transferring files makes even checking email tedious.
    "...If all the computers are connected through the same router, then it's pointless..."

    Wire the file computer....and use another with wifi to check mail
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Aug 2015 #7

    SteveS801 said: View Post
    This doesn't answer my question...
    Yes It does....file transfer with a wired connection
    Use wifi ON ANOTHER COMPUTER to "check email"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    23 Aug 2015 #8

    In a perfect world, that would be a great solution. I am transferring files from MY computer to my wife's computer. I dislike using such a small screen, even for checking emails. I bought a 17" screen for a reason: I like a bigger monitor. As a matter of fact, I have 2 externals hooked up to my laptop as well. This is the computer I WANT to use. I do not want to use hers, simply put. Even if I were to use hers, The files are being transferred into her computer via the network and I would STILL get slow speeds.

    If it's not possible, please say so. If you don't know whether it's possible or not, but you think maybe (or maybe not), say as much. I'm not looking for a workaround to my problem.
    Last edited by SteveS801; 23 Aug 2015 at 15:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    23 Aug 2015 #9

    SteveS801 said: View Post
    What I was hoping to do was to utilize my WiFi connection to access the internet and the wired connection to transfer files. Right now, I have to use one or the other to do both. Transferring files makes even checking email tedious.
    Unfortunately, nothing I'm aware of will do what you want (at least not for normal consumers). If there was, I'd do the same thing as well. Even something like QoS wouldn't work that well for what you have in mind.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    07 Nov 2015 #10

    still searching


    I understand your plight, in my case I want to access files on my NAS- mypassport wireless and also connect to internet and LAN through my wired Ethernet. It was possible in win 8, 8.1, I didn't even give it a thought. but now win 10 is stumping me.
    there are various posts across the internet, that claims to work, e.g changing from the default automatic metric to setting a specific metric for both interfaces, some reported it working, but didn't in my case. windows simply shuts down the wireless adapter and switches to the wired adaptor
    I'm still researching
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
This used to be a simple network trick -> connect two Windows PCs using network cable, go into adapter settings -> IPv4 -> set one IP to 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.2, then you can easily see the other computer and copy/move files. Not when I...
Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then...
Debug report attached. 27187
Ethernet Problem Windows 10 in Network and Sharing
Hi guys! I've been having an issue since installing Windows 10. Whenever I stream (e.g. youtube/netflix) or download (i.e. windows updates) my Ethernet cuts out and I know longer have a connection to the internet. My connection to the router...
Realtek Ethernet Problems in Network and Sharing
I have tried to set up Win 10 on my desktop,however, Win 10 conflicts with my Realtek Ethernet, I can not make the program to connect with the net, however, my lap top coneects (via WiFi) with no problems. Should I remove Win 8.1 frommy desktop and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.
Find Us