Windows 10: Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
       21 Aug 2015 #1

    Having trouble connecting to the Internet.


    I have an Ethernet connection to my PC. My router randomly reset today and now I can't connect to the Internet on it. It says my connection is Public, and I have no option to change it to a private network. Please help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 101
    Windows 8.1 pro upgraded to Windows 10 pro
       21 Aug 2015 #2

    AMDISBETTER said: View Post
    I have an Ethernet connection to my PC. My router randomly reset today and now I can't connect to the Internet on it. It says my connection is Public, and I have no option to change it to a private network. Please help.
    the easiest way to switch it to private is press windows key and x key at same time
    then open control panel
    then open homegroup
    itll warn that you cannot start homegroup until you switch to private
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homegroup 1.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	33025
    any click on change network location
    itll switch it to private
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Aug 2015 #3

    I don't have that option under the message.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Aug 2015 #4

    icpwolverine said: View Post
    the easiest way to switch it to private is press windows key and x key at same time
    then open control panel
    then open homegroup
    itll warn that you cannot start homegroup until you switch to private
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homegroup 1.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	33025
    any click on change network location
    itll switch it to private
    Do you think if I restored my computer to when it was working, I could fix it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Aug 2015 #5

    icpwolverine said: View Post
    the easiest way to switch it to private is press windows key and x key at same time
    then open control panel
    then open homegroup
    itll warn that you cannot start homegroup until you switch to private
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homegroup 1.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	33025
    any click on change network location
    itll switch it to private
    I don't have that option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Aug 2015 #6

    icpwolverine said: View Post
    the easiest way to switch it to private is press windows key and x key at same time
    then open control panel
    then open homegroup
    itll warn that you cannot start homegroup until you switch to private
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homegroup 1.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	33025
    any click on change network location
    itll switch it to private
    I just ran troubleshooter and it said that it can't find a valid IP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 101
    Windows 8.1 pro upgraded to Windows 10 pro
       21 Aug 2015 #7

    open control panel
    open network and sharing center
    on the left click change adapter settings
    there should be at least 2 adapters
    one is Ethernet the other is wifi
    right click on the Ethernet adapter
    select properties
    look for the Internet Protocol tcp/ip4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tcp4.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	33036
    highlight it and then select properties on the right

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tcp41.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	33037
    in the top section instead of obtain automatically select the other one
    set your ip address to something like 192.168.1.10
    subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0
    gateway ip address usually its 192.168.1.1
    click ok
    ok again
    then close network and sharing center
    then reboot pc
    then see if itll connect
    if not unplug your router for a few seconds then plug it back in and give it a few minutes to cycle
    then try again
    networks are finicky beasts

    but if you are on a homegroup network the above will lose the homegroup connection
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 901
    Windows IP 16199 Windows 14393.1198
       21 Aug 2015 #8

    AMDISBETTER said: View Post
    I just ran troubleshooter and it said that it can't find a valid IP.
    Hi,
    Go to settings, Network & Internet, click Advanced Options, select ON with radio button for Private network in Find Devices & Content.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 100.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	33038
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Aug 2015 #9

    brummyfan said: View Post
    Hi,
    Go to settings, Network & Internet, click Advanced Options, select ON with radio button for Private network in Find Devices & Content.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 100.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	33038
    There is no Advanced Options category.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Aug 2015 #10

    icpwolverine said: View Post
    open control panel
    open network and sharing center
    on the left click change adapter settings
    there should be at least 2 adapters
    one is Ethernet the other is wifi
    right click on the Ethernet adapter
    select properties
    look for the Internet Protocol tcp/ip4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tcp4.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	33036
    highlight it and then select properties on the right

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tcp41.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	33037
    in the top section instead of obtain automatically select the other one
    set your ip address to something like 192.168.1.10
    subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0
    gateway ip address usually its 192.168.1.1
    click ok
    ok again
    then close network and sharing center
    then reboot pc
    then see if itll connect
    if not unplug your router for a few seconds then plug it back in and give it a few minutes to cycle
    then try again
    networks are finicky beasts

    but if you are on a homegroup network the above will lose the homegroup connection
    Neither options worked.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Trouble connecting to wifi in Network and Sharing
Having some issues connecting to wifi. My computer won't detect any available networks. When I try enabling the wifi from control panel, it does not work. I have tried running network diagnostics and I get the message 'there might be a problem with...
connecting to vpn in Network and Sharing
is there any way to connect to a VPN without actually moving to whole another page?
Connecting to external (TV) in Drivers and Hardware
Prior to W10 I could connect with no issues. No my surface pro 2 gets all weird when I connect: display icons and font gets tiny and starts to heat up. Weird :( Any help would be appreciated Thnx
Connecting monitor to desktop in Drivers and Hardware
I am sorry if this is a basic question. I am looking to get a new desktop machine and waiting for machines to come out with the new OS pre installed. I have had laptop machines for so long now where you don't need to worry about monitor connections....
When on my Win 10 PC and go to Network > Win 7 PC. Instead of connecting and letting me see the shares, it gives me an "\\COMPUTERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission..." error. On my Win 7 PC I have all the advanced sharing...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55.
Find Us