USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    10
       #1

    USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds


    I have a usb3 gigabit ethernet adapter connect to the usb3 slot on my laptop but its only connecting at usb 2 speeds.... but when I connect my usb3 lexar flash drive in the same port I do get usb 3 speeds. It appears the ethernet adapter is not connecting to the 'companion ports' whereas the lexar is. What would cause that?



    =========================== USB Port2 ===========================

    Connection Status : 0x01 (Device is connected)
    Port Chain : 2-2
    Properties : 0x01
    IsUserConnectable : yes
    PortIsDebugCapable : no
    PortHasMultiCompanions : no
    PortConnectorIsTypeC : no
    ConnectionIndex : 0x02 (Port 2)
    CompanionIndex : 0
    CompanionHubSymLnk : USB#ROOT_HUB30#5&cc531e&0&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
    CompanionPortNumber : 0x06 (Port 6)
    -> CompanionPortChain : 2-6

    ========================== Summary =========================
    Vendor ID : 0x0BDA (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
    Product ID : 0x8152
    USB version : 2.10
    Port maximum Speed : High-Speed (Companion Port 2-6 supports SuperSpeed)
    Device maximum Speed : SuperSpeed
    Device Connection Speed : High-Speed
    Self Powered : no
    Demanded Current : 100 mA
    Used Endpoints : 4





    =========================== USB Port6 ===========================
    Connection Status : 0x01 (Device is connected)
    Port Chain : 2-6
    Properties : 0x03
    IsUserConnectable : yes
    PortIsDebugCapable : yes
    PortHasMultiCompanions : no
    PortConnectorIsTypeC : no
    ConnectionIndex : 0x06 (Port 6)
    CompanionIndex : 0
    CompanionHubSymLnk : USB#ROOT_HUB30#5&cc531e&0&0#{f18a0e88-c30c-11d0-8815-00a0c906bed8}
    CompanionPortNumber : 0x02 (Port 2)
    -> CompanionPortChain : 2-2

    ========================== Summary =========================
    Vendor ID : 0x05DC (Lexar Media, Inc.)
    Product ID : 0xA205
    USB version : 3.0
    Port maximum Speed : SuperSpeed
    Device maximum Speed : SuperSpeed
    Device Connection Speed : SuperSpeed
    Self Powered : no
    Demanded Current : 496 mA
    Used Endpoints : 3
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #2

    To clear any confusion can you link to the adapter in question? You issue doesn't make sense for an ethernet adapter.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 8
    10
    Thread Starter
       #3
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #4

    Yeah.... ethernet adaptors don't "run at USB speeds"... they work on internet transfer speeds.... Lan Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps USB Network. In keeping things simple, the USB connection "speeds" are simply telling you the adapter is compatible with USB 2.0/3.0 ports.

    Forget the "USB" speed. What you want to look at for on the Ethernet adapter is the "Connection Speed".....

    USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds-ethernet-speed.jpg
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 8
    10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    sygnus21 said:
    Yeah.... ethernet adaptors don't "run at USB speeds"... they work on internet transfer speeds.... Lan Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps USB Network. In keeping things simple, the USB connection "speeds" are simply telling you the adapter is compatible with USB 2.0/3.0 ports.

    Ok but when I connect it to the usb 3 port on my laptop, usb device tree viewer shows the port is only capable of high speed and not superspeed. Over wifi my laptop gets over 500Mbps yet via the ethernet adapter only 95Mbps... its connected to a gigabit port on my asus ac86u router.

    Unless I am missing something here, I should be getting a lot higher speeds.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #6

    dannyb123 said:
    Ok but when I connect it to the usb 3 port on my laptop, usb device tree viewer shows the port is only capable of high speed and not superspeed. Over wifi my laptop gets over 500Mbps yet via the ethernet adapter only 95Mbps... its connected to a gigabit port on my asus ac86u router
    Ok, but that's a separate issue. And has no affect on the adapter unless you're saying the adapter isn't working.

    As long as the adapter is working, it doesn't matter the USB speed because that's not it's purpose - the purpose is to connect to the Internet and those speeds have nothing to do with USB transfer speeds.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 8
    10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    ok yes it shows only 100Mbps but im not sure why as it should be 1Gbps, I assumed this was because its connected at usb 2 instead of usb 3 speeds but idk

    USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds-ethernet.jpg
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #8

    dannyb123 said:
    ok yes it shows only 100Mbps but im not sure why as it should be 1Gbps, I assumed this was because its connected at usb 2 instead of usb 3 speeds but idk
    Does your PC support USB 3 ports? Are you sure you're using a USB 3.0 port and not a 2.0 port?

    Edit: It might be that that adapter does require USB 3.0 port for the highest speeds from it. Again, does the PC support USB 3.0 speeds. If not, the even though the adapter is a 3.0 device, if the PC doesn't support USB 3.0, the adapter is only going to run at USB 2.0 speeds
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 8
    10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Yes according to the documentation it has 1 usb 3 port. The model is a Huawei BOH-WAQ9R, the documentation explicitly states the USB A port on the left side of the latpop is USB3.0 and i have it connected to this port. The USB A ports on the right side of the laptop are only 2.0 speed.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #10

    dannyb123 said:
    Yes according to the documentation it has 1 usb 3 port. The model is a Huawei BOH-WAQ9R, the documentation explicitly states the USB A port on the left side of the latpop is USB3.0 and i have it connected to this port. The USB A ports on the right side of the laptop are only 2.0 speed.
    Well, if as you say, the Lexar device is getting 3.0 speeds, then you know the port is good. With that, the adapter should be running as USB 3.0 speeds unless there's an issue with the adapter or some requirements are missing.

    With that, you might ask the adapter vendor why your aren't getting higher speeds if you think you should. Be aware though that the adaptor speeds seen will be determined by your router/modern speed capability... 10/100/1000 (1Gigabit).

    Also, note that just because your router says it's capable of 1 Gigabit speeds (1000), if you don't have the correct cable to it, it will run at a slower speed. for 1gig speeds you should be running a Cat5E cable to it.

    Edit to include the you need to connect a Cat5E cable to that adapter to get 1000Mbs (1gigabit) speeds!!!
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums