Windows Losing DNS  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,807
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #21

    otronics said:
    The problem occurred for a second time yesterday.

    I changed DNS servers to no effect:

    Attachment 321005

    Restarting the PC made everything work again.

    My previous DNS settings were automatic and assigned by my ISP. They have been set that way for years and my laptops and other devices are using them with no issues...


    Have you tried the DNS Nameserver app I posted above?

    It will identify and verify the performance characteristics of several DNS servers available in your area.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 67
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #22

    I have run the GRC DNS Benchmark tool.

    It's saying those 194 IP addresses are the fastest.

    However, I've set DNS to 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1 for now to see if the problem reoccurs.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,401
    Windows 11 Home
       #23

    otronics said:
    However when the problem occurs, all other network access still works (eg/ network drives).
    Have you tried to setup a custom Secure DNS for Chrome?

    How to Enable or Disable DNS over HTTPS (DoH) in Google Chrome
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 67
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #24

    It was running OK with alternative DNS servers for just over a day but then this morning the error occurred again.

    Restarting the PC fixed the issue.

    For what it's worth, here is a screenshot of ipconfig during the error:

    Windows Losing DNS-dnsnew.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    I called Virgin Media last night and had some settings changed on my router.

    So far so good but I bet it breaks again.

    I shall post back here either way.

    A few days back, my laptop stared losing network connection during a backup (and only during a backup - everything else was OK). Thus, I reckon my router is on the way out.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,807
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #25

    Hi otronics, this certainly is a fascinating problem you have here.

    1) Could you please clarify what type of modem and router you're using, make & model for both if not a combo unit.
    2) Were both of these devices supplied by your ISP?
    3) What is the approximate age of both?
    4) As a test, have you tried connecting directly to the modem, bypassing the router entirely?

    The fault as presented appears to be a dhcp related problem and by bypassing the router, you will substitute the dhcp server.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 67
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #26

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Hi otronics, this certainly is a fascinating problem you have here.

    1) Could you please clarify what type of modem and router you're using, make & model for both if not a combo unit.
    2) Were both of these devices supplied by your ISP?
    3) What is the approximate age of both?
    4) As a test, have you tried connecting directly to the modem, bypassing the router entirely?

    The fault as presented appears to be a dhcp related problem and by bypassing the router, you will substitute the dhcp server.
    Sure is an interesting (if not annoying!) problem and one I've never seen before.

    1) It's a modem and router built in one (a Super Hub 3).

    2) Yes - supplied by my ISP (Virgin Media).

    3) It is 4 years old.

    4) I could turn the Super Hub into modem-only mode but don't have a spare router to hand.

    As it stands, my PC (which is having the bulk of the issues) is still working.

    I think the next stage (if it goes wrong again) is to get Virgin to replace the router.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,634
    Windows 10
       #27

    From all your posts it would seem to be a DHCP server problem.

    Have you checked that the Router is the only DHCP server in your system(Local Network), other Devices can be as well which maybe causing some confusion.

    As an alternative you can use fixed IP addresses for each Device in your Network.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 67
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #28

    Helmut said:
    From all your posts it would seem to be a DHCP server problem.

    Have you checked that the Router is the only DHCP server in your system(Local Network), other Devices can be as well which maybe causing some confusion.

    As an alternative you can use fixed IP addresses for each Device in your Network.
    Yes - this is the only DHCP server on my system (it's been that way for 4 years so why it should break now?)

    My PC is actually already a fixed IP address which makes this even more of a mystery as to why this error is occurring!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,807
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #29

    otronics said:
    Sure is an interesting (if not annoying!) problem and one I've never seen before.

    1) It's a modem and router built in one (a Super Hub 3).

    2) Yes - supplied by my ISP (Virgin Media).

    3) It is 4 years old.

    4) I could turn the Super Hub into modem-only mode but don't have a spare router to hand.

    As it stands, my PC (which is having the bulk of the issues) is still working.

    I think the next stage (if it goes wrong again) is to get Virgin to replace the router.




    Why not try disabling the router as a test? At least then you might know that an inexpensive external router might be a solution.

    I would expect buying a router would be far cheaper than buying a complete new router/modem unit from your ISP or possibly avoid another term of commitment.

    Unfortunately, unless you can physically bypass the router, it may cause you grief. I'd still try whatever bypass is available as a test, why not?


    Four years is a long time for an electronic device to survive when it's on 724.

    Especially any device that is used in a warm environment or a device that generates heat within.

    Heat is the enemy for digital circuitry and will cause capacitors to dry out, rendering them ineffective.

    Besides, all of these devices are made in China and if they last much past the year or two warranty, consider yourself lucky.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,634
    Windows 10
       #30

    You need a substitute Router with the Super Hub 3 in Modem only mode.

    Looking at the Virgin Media user groups it seems a popular move.

    I never use ISP provided Modem/Routers/WAP. Currently Netgear and the old one a Linksys. There is no internet service from Virgin Media in my area, seems that is a plus.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums