Cannot access the hidden folder share on my remote computer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Cannot access the hidden folder share on my remote computer


    Hello Everyone,
    I can't access hidden folders (like: \\ip_remote\c$ or d$) on a remote computer. Even though when the computer asks for a username and password I have entered it correctly. If I try to make a share folder on the same remote computer. That can be done. I have also tried to turn off the firewall but still cannot. I don't think the problem is in the firewall anymore.Can anyone provide a solution?Thanks.

    Windows 10 Pro 2004 (OS Build 19041.329) 64-bit
    Cannot access the hidden folder share on my remote computer-2020-07-08_092700.jpgCannot access the hidden folder share on my remote computer-2020-07-08_131042.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,815
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #2

    What you are encountering is actually expected behavior for these default shares and involves remote UAC which prevents local admin level users from running with elevated permissions when connecting over a network. Note that this only applies when the system is not in a domain.

    Remote UAC can be disabled via the registry, but my suggestion would be to simply create another share for these locations while leaving the current shares in place as well.

    As an example, for the root of your C: drive, you could create another share called C_Drive$. Now the C: drive has two shares - the original which was named C$ and also C_Drive$. You should be able to connect using C_Drive$.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    hsehestedt said:
    What you are encountering is actually expected behavior for these default shares and involves remote UAC which prevents local admin level users from running with elevated permissions when connecting over a network. Note that this only applies when the system is not in a domain.

    Remote UAC can be disabled via the registry, but my suggestion would be to simply create another share for these locations while leaving the current shares in place as well.

    As an example, for the root of your C: drive, you could create another share called C_Drive$. Now the C: drive has two shares - the original which was named C$ and also C_Drive$. You should be able to connect using C_Drive$.
    I use this method only temporarily not often used. Only for the case of the computer is somewhat different. As I have said above. I don't know why my Ultra VNC remote was rejected. The other computer has no problem like this.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,815
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #4

    Your original post never said anything about Ultra VNC. It sounded like you were simply talking about connecting to shares.

    Apologies for not intuiting your real question.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    hsehestedt said:
    Your original post never said anything about Ultra VNC. It sounded like you were simply talking about connecting to shares.

    Apologies for not intuiting your real question.
    Sorry if it makes you confused. I mentioned UltraVNC because it has the same impact. Decline when authenticating.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,815
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #6

    Ah, i see. One question: Is it only the default administrative shares that you cannot connect to or does it also fail with other shares that you create?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    hsehestedt said:
    Ah, i see. One question: Is it only the default administrative shares that you cannot connect to or does it also fail with other shares that you create?
    Only the default administrative shares that I cannot connect to. If the share folder that I created. There is no problem.
    I suspect maybe after I update the latest Windows 10 version because before there was no problem.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,815
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #8

    Okay, so as I noted, not being able to connect to those admin shares is expected and normal behavior. Create other shares to connect to those resources. As for Ultra VNC, I unfortunately don't have experience with that.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    hsehestedt said:
    Okay, so as I noted, not being able to connect to those admin shares is expected and normal behavior. Create other shares to connect to those resources. As for Ultra VNC, I unfortunately don't have experience with that.
    What if the Windows Admin Center can't connect too? after authenticating correctly.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,815
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #10

    I don't know what to say about that. Have not used admin center. Would have been nice to know from post #1 that there was more than just the inability to connect to admin shares.

    What's odd to me is that you can connect to some shares but authenticating with Ultra VNC and Admin Center is failing for you. Normally, if authentication with one failed I would expect all to fail, unless they are configured differently.

    Let me get a handle on your configuration first...

    Are you connecting from a Windows 10 system to another Windows 10 system?
    Are the systems in a workgroup?
    Is the system to which you are trying to connect to on the same LAN segment that the system you are connecting from is on?
    Is the time and timezone information accurate on both systems?
    If you try to connect to the remote system using credentials local to that system, can you connect using Ultra VNC or system admin?

    As an example, if the system you are trying to connect to is called "computer1" and it has an admin account called "admin", can you connect using the username "computer1\admin"?

    Also, a question about Ultra VNC - does it have its own authentication configuration where you need to set a username and password or does it simply use existing Windows authentication? If it uses its own authentication, that might explain why you can connect to shares that you create but cannot authenticate with Ultra VNC.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums