Network discovery stopped working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Network discovery stopped working


    I know this problem has been discussed with many variants but not quite the same as I'm experiencing, so I'm starting a new thread.

    I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit, and everything was running perfectly, that is until two days ago when the computers on the network simply disappeared. I had done nothing with changes or new software or anything of that sort.

    I checked network discovery and it was on, but the only computer showing was the home computer. I have tried turning discovery off then rebooting and then back on again and rebooting. In all cases the network drives are accessible. I have manually entered the computer name in the address bar of File Explorer eg "//COMPUTER2" and then I can go and enter the other computers manually. Everything will stay there until I close down File Explorer and then they disappear again only shown the home computer.

    As I said in the beginning I have done nothing that would change any of Windows 10 settings. As anyone got any possible answers this, it is most frustrating.

    Robert…
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Similar problem


    Robert42 said:
    I know this problem has been discussed with many variants but not quite the same as I'm experiencing, so I'm starting a new thread.

    I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit, and everything was running perfectly, that is until two days ago when the computers on the network simply disappeared. I had done nothing with changes or new software or anything of that sort.

    I checked network discovery and it was on, but the only computer showing was the home computer. I have tried turning discovery off then rebooting and then back on again and rebooting. In all cases the network drives are accessible. I have manually entered the computer name in the address bar of File Explorer eg "//COMPUTER2" and then I can go and enter the other computers manually. Everything will stay there until I close down File Explorer and then they disappear again only shown the home computer.

    As I said in the beginning I have done nothing that would change any of Windows 10 settings. As anyone got any possible answers this, it is most frustrating.

    Robert…
    I have a similar problem:
    I have the only system on our network running Win-10 - all others are running Win-7 Pro with a 2012 R2 server
    Network Discovery sees only 6 systems out of 12. Have checked that these services are running as per this YouTube How to fix Network Discovery in Windows 10 - YouTube :
    - DNS Client
    - Function Discovery Resource Publication
    - SSDP Discovery
    Can manually access other systems as Robert (above) did with same results - ie close File Explorer and they disappear.
    Brought in another Win-10 system to test and got same results - in fact both Win-10 systems see only the same 6 workstations.
    All Win-7 workstations have discovered all 12 systems on the network, so this appears to be a Win-10 issue.
    What's amiss here?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 299
    Windows 10
       #3

    Are any of you not using a password?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    The orig Win-10 sys is a domain member, so must login w/ PW. Second system is not on the domain and has only local pw.
    Update - second system can now discover all computers on network - needed to start UPnP service. First system has UPnP service running but still can't see more than 6 of 12 systems. Am checking in safe mode now.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    spokeshave said:
    I have a similar problem:
    I have the only system on our network running Win-10 - all others are running Win-7 Pro with a 2012 R2 server
    Network Discovery sees only 6 systems out of 12. Have checked that these services are running as per this YouTube How to fix Network Discovery in Windows 10 - YouTube :
    .........
    I have done a lot of reading about this problem. For one think it seems to have happened with Win 7 thru Win 10 but reading the net more prevelant from Win 8.1 and now Win 10. There are heaps of people in various forums that suggest fixes that none of these work. There is no definitive answer. I have not found anyone who can definitely say that they had the problem and what they did to fix it. In my case I can live with it as I have all the network drives setup that I need.
    Robert...
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    Yes, I can create mappings to the resources I need and thus "work-around" this issue. Can also manually access (temporarily) a resource as you described in your orig post. I've entered this thread at the request of a client who thinks network discovery should work correctly (he's right there) but apparently it doesn't for everyone. Thanks for pursuing this further and reporting back. Ahhhhh, Microsoft....
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    I went into System, changed my computer name, domain and workgroup settings, hit Network Id... and chose home network then set my workgroup back to HOME. After reboot it seems to be discovering other windows PC's again. Had to do to all other Windows 10 I just updated with latest MS update. My WD Cloud device still doesn't show though and had to set this up manually by adding a network device. After two days it still seems to be going fine.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 138
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit BETA
       #8

    Saddleback said:
    I went into System, changed my computer name, domain and workgroup settings, hit Network Id... and chose home network then set my workgroup back to HOME. After reboot it seems to be discovering other windows PC's again. Had to do to all other Windows 10 I just updated with latest MS update. My WD Cloud device still doesn't show though and had to set this up manually by adding a network device. After two days it still seems to be going fine.
    If you disable SMB2/3 you will see your WD Cloud. Look here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547
    Your network speed will probably drop abt 30%.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #9

    spokeshave said:
    I have a similar problem:
    I have the only system on our network running Win-10 - all others are running Win-7 Pro with a 2012 R2 server
    Network Discovery sees only 6 systems out of 12. Have checked that these services are running as per this YouTube How to fix Network Discovery in Windows 10 - YouTube :
    - DNS Client
    - Function Discovery Resource Publication
    - SSDP Discovery
    Can manually access other systems as Robert (above) did with same results - ie close File Explorer and they disappear.
    Brought in another Win-10 system to test and got same results - in fact both Win-10 systems see only the same 6 workstations.
    All Win-7 workstations have discovered all 12 systems on the network, so this appears to be a Win-10 issue.
    What's amiss here?
    Solved my similar problem where I could not get network discovery yo turn on at all.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #10

    Hi, I like a lot of other people are having this issue with network discovery not working. I have a few boxes, some Linux boxes (NAS and webserver), one win7, one win10 laptop and my win10 pc. I can manually type the machine name into the address bar and networking and sharing will be fine until you close file explorer down.
    I just got off the phone from microsoft and spoke to some guy there. I explained the problem and then he put me on hold for 2 minutes. When he came back, he said that this functionality was taken away from windows10 and that I would never get it this to work. When I asked why, he got very rude and terse with me to the point of forcing me to cut the phone call short. There was certainly no "Can I help you with anything else today?".
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums