Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7
    Win 10 Pro
       #1

    Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again


    Hi All,
    I have a very weird problem and after some help if possible.

    I have a rock-solid 100Mbit cable connection and my laptop is only a couple of metres away from the wireless router.

    I check the speed at Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and get an unstable speed reading that peaks at about 40Mbit. I will retest 10 times to ensure the reading is accurate.

    I then go to Device Manager and open up the properties of the Wifi Adapter and change any setting (such as preferred band) and hit 'ok', the adapter seems to restart.

    I then go to Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and it is a rock solid 98-99Mbit for 10 tests.

    After a while, it will eventually slow back down again. The only solution is to go back to device manager change a setting in the WiFi adapter again, which immediately speeds it back up.

    What I have Tried:
    Tried multiple drivers for Wifi Adapter.
    System File Check
    Fresh install of Windows 10 (last week for another issue)
    Disable DHCP and Set manual IP from PC settings
    Reserved an IP on router side
    Just about every combination of settings in Wifi Adapter

    Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Cheers
    Mick

    ----------------
    Acer Predator Helios 700 Laptop
    Win 10 Pro (Latest update v2004 - yesterday)
    Intel 9980HK (normally clocked)
    Geforce RTX 2080 (normally clocked)
    Wifi - Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (latest drivers)
    Router - Netgear WNDR4500
    Last edited by mikeyjames; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:29. Reason: Error
      My Computer

  2. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 20,267
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909
       #2

    Have you tried a clean boot to see if this is Windows or a third party app that is interfering, something from Killer?


    Does this happen on both bands, that is the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz?


    Have you disabled the option to allow computer to shut off device to save power.

    Device Manager > find adapter > properties > Power management tab > remove check mark
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7
    Win 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Caledon Ken said:
    Have you tried a clean boot to see if this is Windows or a third party app that is interfering, something from Killer?


    Does this happen on both bands, that is the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz?


    Have you disabled the option to allow computer to shut off device to save power.

    Device Manager > find adapter > properties > Power management tab > remove check mark
    Thanks Caledon Ken,

    I have disabled the power management stuff.
    I can't tell with 2.4 Ghz as I've only ever gotten around 45Mbit on that band.

    I will try safe mode.
      My Computer

  4. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 20,267
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909
       #4

    Sorry not safe mode, a simple clean boot.

    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

    Safe mode should do the same thing with some default drivers.
      My Computer

  5. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,209
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Internet Security Specialty.
       #5

    @mikeyjames -

    Hi mate.

    Have your ever contacted your ISP on this?
    Almost sounds like they are throttling your bandwidth.

    Do you have another computer to test with and compare results?

    If not, try this first and see if it helps:

    Run the following six bolded commands in red.

    Use a Command Prompt as elevated admin or Powershell as elevated admin...

    Do not type in the info in brackets, It is strictly there for your information.

    ipconfig /flushdns
    (Clear the dns cache)

    nbtstat -RR
    (release and refesh NetBIOS names)

    netsh int ip reset
    (Reset all ip settings)

    netsh winsock reset
    (Reset Winsock Catalog)

    netsh interface ip delete arpcache
    (Reset Address Resolution Protocol cache)

    netsh advfirewall reset
    (reset firewall)

    Reboot your system when all is complete.

    Please post back after testing and advise.

    Thanks.

      My Computer

  6. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 4,965
    windows 10
       #6

    How many station are in your area with a strong signal on the same channel as you?
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 7
    Win 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Caledon Ken said:
    Sorry not safe mode, a simple clean boot.

    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

    Safe mode should do the same thing with some default drivers.
    Hi Ken,
    Sorry response took a while, I've been flat out all week with work.

    Anyway, with a clean boot as suggested in the link I am able to use wired lan connection but unable to get WiFi working for some reason. The Wlan Autoconfig service is running and the driver is enabled but reports a problem stopping it from starting.

    Appreciate the help and any further suggestions appreciated.

    Cheers
    Mick

    - - - Updated - - -

    Compumind said:
    @mikeyjames -

    Hi mate.

    Have your ever contacted your ISP on this?
    Almost sounds like they are throttling your bandwidth.

    Do you have another computer to test with and compare results?

    If not, try this first and see if it helps:

    Run the following six bolded commands in red.

    Use a Command Prompt as elevated admin or Powershell as elevated admin...

    Do not type in the info in brackets, It is strictly there for your information.

    ipconfig /flushdns
    (Clear the dns cache)

    nbtstat -RR
    (release and refesh NetBIOS names)

    netsh int ip reset
    (Reset all ip settings)

    netsh winsock reset
    (Reset Winsock Catalog)

    netsh interface ip delete arpcache
    (Reset Address Resolution Protocol cache)

    netsh advfirewall reset
    (reset firewall)

    Reboot your system when all is complete.

    Please post back after testing and advise.

    Thanks.

    Hey Compumind,
    Appreciate the help but unfortunately no better after your suggestions.

    If I connect my phone to the same access point while sitting in the same spot I get 95Mbit (40Mbit on Laptop). As soon as I change a setting within the wireless driver (preferred band from none to 5Ghz or vice versa), I get 95Mbit on the laptop too.

    I appreciate your help.

    Cheers
    Mick

    - - - Updated - - -

    Samuria said:
    How many station are in your area with a strong signal on the same channel as you?
    Hi Samuria,
    I have my router set to a channel 49 (5Ghz) and the only other access point I can see is on channel 150. I am the only person in the house currently using 5Ghz, for my phone and laptop. TVs and media players are all wired directly into the router. Wife's laptop is set to use 2.4 Ghz WiFi at the moment.



    Cheers
    Mick
      My Computer

  8. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 20,267
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909
       #8

    You said in clean boot you can't get wireless? Interesting.

    Does your Killer Wifi need a Killer app running?

    If you drop down to 2.4Ghz band does your wireless work consistent at speed?
      My Computer

  9. retexan599's Avatar
    Posts : 63
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909
       #9

    Maybe this was already covered, but with my wi-fi router, I have to occasionally power cycle it to maintain a good speed. By power cycle, I mean pull the electric power cord out of the router, let it sit for several minutes, then plug it back in. Doing this usually makes a noticeable difference. Just a thought....
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7
    Win 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Caledon Ken said:
    You said in clean boot you can't get wireless? Interesting.

    Does your Killer Wifi need a Killer app running?

    If you drop down to 2.4Ghz band does your wireless work consistent at speed?

    Yes, it's weird. I've tried with and without Killer app running and just can't get WiFi working in Safe Mode with Networking or Diagnostic Startup.

    Unfortunately I only ever get around 40-45 Mbit with 2.4Ghz so can't tell if anything is changing.

    Cheers
    Mick

    - - - Updated - - -

    retexan599 said:
    Maybe this was already covered, but with my wi-fi router, I have to occasionally power cycle it to maintain a good speed. By power cycle, I mean pull the electric power cord out of the router, let it sit for several minutes, then plug it back in. Doing this usually makes a noticeable difference. Just a thought....
    Thanks. I'm no expert, but guess that changing a setting - such as nominating a preferred band or vice versa - restarts the WiFi device on the laptop, which fixes the issues until the next boot.

    As for the router itself, I have tried everything. New firmware, restarts, reserving an IP address for my laptop, and completely restoring all settings to default.


    Cheers
    Mick

    - - - Updated - - -

    And a general update.

    I have tried disabling all start-up items and all stopped all non-MS services from loading.

    On first boot after disabling everything it seemed to work, but next boot back to normal with slow 5Ghz Wi-Fi until I change a setting in the adapter.

    Does anyone have an idea what would be changed by changing a setting on the Wi-Fi adapter? All I know is that when I change the setting and hit save it disconnects and reconnects to Wi-Fi. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting the Wi-Fi does not achieve the same result, it has to be from a changed setting on the adapter in Device Manager.

    I have also tried removing the Killer Control Panel. I have tried a beta Killer driver and also old Killer drivers.

    This really has me baffled.

    Cheers
    Mick
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums