2 Networks connected to 1 workstations - config


  1. Posts : 3
    WIN10
       #1

    2 Networks connected to 1 workstations - config


    Hello,
    I知 in the process of setting up 2 LAN networks at home. This project is calling for each Database server to be on a separate and preferably 1Gb network. Please see attached sketch.

    I知 not sure how to configure details of the each server and the each work station. When I set these up with a static IP address, it does not work. Static address id all I致e setup so far, not sure if I need a router as well on the Database network or just switch ( which is what I have so far ) .
    I can稚 ping the Database server, I have no idea about advance setup I may need to do.

    Thanks

    win 10 ( 10.0.18363 )

    2 Networks connected to 1 workstations - config-dr-remote-dbs-.png
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,511
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    First, glad to see the proper use of the contraction Gb for Gigabit, usually see GB wrongly used. Traditionally b = bit and B = Byte, 8 bits = 1 Byte.

    Second, is the top unit in your picture a Switch or Hub? I add an 8-port or 5-port Switch to the 4-port Router when needing more Ethernet ports for devices, have you tried a Router instead of the Switch, shouldn't need to be connected to the Internet. Only suggestions I have except the top server may need a cross-over Ethernet cable or computer to computer, not sure on that as the Switch should handle it.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 3
    WIN10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    First, glad to see the proper use of the contraction Gb for Gigabit, usually see GB wrongly used. Traditionally b = bit and B = Byte, 8 bits = 1 Byte.

    Second, is the top unit in your picture a Switch or Hub? I add an 8-port or 5-port Switch to the 4-port Router when needing more Ethernet ports for devices, have you tried a Router instead of the Switch, shouldn't need to be connected to the Internet. Only suggestions I have except the top server may need a cross-over Ethernet cable or computer to computer, not sure on that as the Switch should handle it.

    Top device is a switch , I don't have another router. any idea why I can not ping the database server ? , I'm only showing one workstation but once its working thee will be 3 workstations.

    Thanks
      My Computer

  4. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,187
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #4

    Possible answer is your ping is not from the appropriate NIC. It may try to ping from the NIC with router.

    Or your switch is not handling any routing.
      My Computer

  5. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,040
    windows 10
       #5

    You may need to setup a route cmd it will depend in the matrix set so ping would only go via the highest matrix. Why must the data base be on different networks?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3
    WIN10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Caledon Ken said:
    Possible answer is your ping is not from the appropriate NIC. It may try to ping from the NIC with router.

    Or your switch is not handling any routing.
    Thanks , how would I ping from a specific NIC ?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Samuria said:
    You may need to setup a route cmd it will depend in the matrix set so ping would only go via the highest matrix. Why must the data base be on different networks?
    Thank you ,

    - how would I set this route command ? or could you please point me in right direction ?

    - The software is Davinci Resolve by Black Magic Design. When I first started at looking at this setup I checked with the publisher and this is what they said:


    2 Networks connected to 1 workstations - config-peters-response.png
      My Computer

  7. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,187
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #7

    Not sure how to ping from specific NIC.

    Think there was a source command but when I look at it appears to be for IPv6.

    Can you remove Nic from box and test.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

ゥ Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums