Wi-fi problem


  1. Posts : 169
    win 10 home 32 bit
       #1

    Wi-fi problem


    The Spectrum tech came in on Friday because the speed test was slow, download was 12.8mb and upload was 7.7mb. I am paying for the max speed possible. So he changed out the connector at the wall, replaced a few cables and replaced the router. This router has 2 wi-fi speeds. 2.4g and 5g. All 3 of the laptops that I have and my cell phone see the 2.4g wi-fi but not the 5g wi-fi. Only my tablet sees both wi-fi's and can connect. Why only my tablet sees the 5g wi-fi?

    Steve
      My Computer

  2. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,061
    windows 10
       #2

    Have the others actually got 5g WiFi cards?
      My Computer

  3. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,553
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #3

    2.4g and 5g
    Those terms do not refer to speed - but rather Frequency Band
    Your device needs to be able to transmit & receive within that Frequency Band
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,964
    Windows 10
       #4

    Not all devices are fitted with Dual Band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) Wireless cards. Those fitted with Single Band 2.4 GHz cards cannot use 5 GHz.
    You would need to look at the Device specs of the Laptops and Phone in detail.
      My Computer

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,755
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    reble said:
    The Spectrum tech came in on Friday because the speed test was slow, download was 12.8mb and upload was 7.7mb. I am paying for the max speed possible. So he changed out the connector at the wall, replaced a few cables and replaced the router. This router has 2 wi-fi speeds. 2.4g and 5g. All 3 of the laptops that I have and my cell phone see the 2.4g wi-fi but not the 5g wi-fi.
    the 2.4GHz band is not the limiting factor here, it's the broadband connection to your ISP. Even a 2.4GHz WiFi card is capable of higher speeds than most ISPs provide.


    Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, depending on the class of the router.
    What’s the Difference Between 2.4 and 5-Ghz Wi-Fi (and Which Should I Use)?
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 169
    win 10 home 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    This router top is 450 mbps on 2.4 ghz. The Speed is back up to top speed after the tech came out on Friday. Now there is no audio drop out's on the remote Amateur Radio transceiver that I use. Thanks for the info on the 2.4g and the 5g wi-fi's. Since I can't use the 5g wi-fi in the router. I turned the 5g off in the router. I can always turn the 5g on if I get a laptop with a dual band wi-fi.

    Bree said:
    the 2.4GHz band is not the limiting factor here, it's the broadband connection to your ISP. Even a 2.4GHz WiFi card is capable of higher speeds than most ISPs provide.


    What’s the Difference Between 2.4 and 5-Ghz Wi-Fi (and Which Should I Use)?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,964
    Windows 10
       #7

    You do not need anything like 450 Mbs for audio, 12.8 Mbs vastly more than is needed, 500 Kbs is more than enough,

    Even Wireless G single channel 2.4 GHz at 20 Mbs is vastly more than needed.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 169
    win 10 home 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Before the tech came out the audio was breaking up and the remote prog was locking up and the prog had to be shut down and restarted. There is no problems with the prog now.

    Helmut said:
    You do not need anything like 450 Mbs for audio, 12.8 Mbs vastly more than is needed, 500 Kbs is more than enough,

    Even Wireless G single channel 2.4 GHz at 20 Mbs is vastly more than needed.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums