Wlan card upgrade on laptop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Wlan card upgrade on laptop


    Hi guys, I wanna upgrade the Wlan card on my Inspiron 1545. I know the right size but some of the cards come with Bluetooth and my laptop already has a separate Bluetooth module. Will this be a problem or I have to buy a wlan card without bluetooth integrated. If you already have upgraded can you post which card exactly.
    Thanks!
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 12,292
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    What do you have in the Notebook now, 802.11a, b, g or n [n is fastest of those]? Is the Router or Network capable of 802.11ac? Not sure if one can find an 802.11ac yet. Haven't yet seen a Notebook with a separate Bluetooth adapter in it but it may be possible to disable it in the BIOS. Usually the problem is opposite, have to add a Bluetooth dongle to get the support, I have one that way.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    What do you have in the Notebook now, 802.11a, b, g or n [n is fastest of those]? Is the Router or Network capable of 802.11ac? Not sure if one can find an 802.11ac yet. Haven't yet seen a Notebook with a separate Bluetooth adapter in it but it may be possible to disable it in the BIOS. Usually the problem is opposite, have to add a Bluetooth dongle to get the support, I have one that way.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Right now I have Dell wireless wlan 1397 mini card which is 802.11abg card and dell wireless 365 bluetooth module - the USB controller is BCM4310. My router is 802.11n compliant. I saw a video on YouTube and that's why I think it has a separate module for bluetooth.
    EDIT: I've just checked and in BIOS I have two options: disable internal wlan device and disable internal bluetooth device separately.
    Last edited by werty; 05 Dec 2019 at 11:31.
      My Computer

  4. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 12,292
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #4

    You should be able to replace the wireless adapter and disable the onboard Bluetooth. When buying new items/parts it usually is good to "future-proof" in getting the latest, I'm looking forward to the same as I have only 1 Notebook [out of several] that has an 802.11ac adapter, have divested the few older ones that had only the slower g version.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Berton said:
    You should be able to replace the wireless adapter and disable the onboard Bluetooth. When buying new items/parts it usually is good to "future-proof" in getting the latest, I'm looking forward to the same as I have only 1 Notebook [out of several] that has an 802.11ac adapter, have divested the few older ones that had only the slower g version.
    Yeah I'm thinking of buying Intel wireless 7260AC card.
      My Computer

  6. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,422
    Mac OS Catalina
       #6

    The price for that card cannot be beat. It has been my go to for a long time.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 93
    win10 pro
       #7

    Look at this to see if your laptop will support 7260 card
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/inte...f1d/networking
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    lawnmower74 said:
    Look at this to see if your laptop will support 7260 card
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/inte...f1d/networking
    Hi, this card is not officially supported on Inspiron 1545 since this laptop is ancient 😁. But it should fit and probably work. My only concern is if the integrated Bluetooth will work as I see many people complain that it isn't working and they have to tap certain pins on the card to disable it.
      My Computer

  9. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,422
    Mac OS Catalina
       #9

    I have used the small USB BT dongle in that case where the decade cannot use the BT radio of the chipset on the 7260.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    bro67 said:
    I have used the small USB BT dongle in that case where the decade cannot use the BT radio of the chipset on the 7260.
    I have an integrated Bluetooth card in my laptop so it won't be a problem for me.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums