How to Set up for Fiber Optic Internet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
       #1

    How to Set up for Fiber Optic Internet


    My computer and my brother's run Windows 10 Pro and my father's computer is running Windows 8.1 Pro (both 64-Bit)

    My family has been using a wireless internet plan for a LONG time, but with our block now wired for fiber optic, and the line extended to our house, the only thing left to do is to buy the plan, get the modem, and set our house up, but frankly, with all the research me and my father have done, we're either missing something, or we're over-complicating it somehow

    If our house gets wired for fiber optic, how would we go setting it up for 3 computers all wanting to connect by way of Ethernet?

    Me and my brother use the internet for either gaming or other stuff, while my father uses the internet for light Facebook gaming (he really loves his spades plus game), maybe a little bit of RUST (my brother is trying to get him interested), and overall uses it for family genealogy with some smatterings of paying bills online and the like

    If we wanted to switch from a wireless internet plan to a fiber optic internet plan, besides the modem that would come with said plan, what hardware would we need to get it set for online gaming?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just to be clear, my brother does gaming on RUST, Crossout, PUBG, and to my knowledge no other online game (he did try Star Citizen, but dropped it and subsequently forgot it); I on the other hand, don't really do much heavy online gaming at all, maybe destiny 2 (PS4) if I bother to keep it updated, but otherwise I mostly stick with the single-player genre
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 13,934
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #2

    The modem you get from your ISP would need to provide at least 3 ports, one for you, your brother and your father. Typically they either provide 1 or 4. If 4 then your all set. Just plug a Ethernet cable into each port and the other end into the nic of each computer. Boot up and you should be done.

    If it provides 1 then you will need a router. You connect the single port from the modem to the WAN port on the router then connect each computer to one of the 4 LAN ports on the router. Boot up and you're done.

    There really is nothing more to it that that.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Nighthawk Router or Nighthawk Switch? (Fiber Optic Internet)


    From what I researched and remember, ethernet switches parse the internet evenly between connected devices on said switch so no one computer/device gets a leg up over the other, but it has no firewall capabilities like some routers do (unless there are switches with firewalls in them, then please tell me so)

    Routers give the function of wifi channels so wireless devices with no ethernet capabilities can use the internet, and of course use LAN over WAN, and they have firewall capabilities to protect what they can internet connection wise

    My house may be gearing up to switch from wireless internet ala this janky piece of crud Greenpacket Router/Modem (our ISP is Plateau), to their Fiber-Optic Internet (same ISP). I had a chance to test this internet when I went to a motel for a possible job and wow its fast. Problem is: me and my dad can't figure out if we want the nighthawk router (the xr700 mainly for extra ethernet ports), or the nighthawk switch. Can anyone tell me which nighthawk product I will truly need to have a functioning fiber optic internet setup for casual-to mid-heavy gaming and other non-gaming stuff?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,633
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    Check out the talk on snbforums.com
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Excluding the nighthawk line of netgear routers mainly for the pricing, what brand of gaming routers do you or anyone here recommend for fiber optic internet; I took a look at some asus ones, but if there's others at a slightly lower price but still performs just as good for fiber optic internet, that'd be mighty appreciated
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,279
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    You don't need any kind of special router. Any gigabit router will do you, especially when connected via Ethernet cable. The biggest difference in routers is when you start wanting to do a WiFi network.

    https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-AC1200...8&sr=8-13&th=1

    $30. And you would get good enough WiFi for email and internet. Your Ethernet connections would be gigabit.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 11,182
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #7

    Ztruker said:
    The modem you get from your ISP would need to provide at least 3 ports, one for you, your brother and your father. Typically they either provide 1 or 4. If 4 then your all set. Just plug a Ethernet cable into each port and the other end into the nic of each computer. Boot up and you should be done.

    If it provides 1 then you will need a router. You connect the single port from the modem to the WAN port on the router then connect each computer to one of the 4 LAN ports on the router. Boot up and you're done.

    There really is nothing more to it that that.
    Hi there

    @BrokenDaily

    depending on your building -- could be easier to have a cheap switch and then run LAN from computers into switch and then only 1 LAN cable needed to router --- also you could output the switch LAN cable into a wifi extender and the wifi extender would connect to the router by wifi --- your PC's would still think that the connection is via ethernet !!!

    Modern wifi can go very fast indeed -- the switch also gives better throughput and speed than 3 separate lan connections to router as well !!!.

    Current 5GHz wifi with decent extender can theoretically operate at almost 1Gb/s ( I think it's actually 880 Mb/s) which is probably a lot better than older 100 Mb/s Lan cards anyway !!!!!!

    Proposed next wifi standards will increase that to 10 - 100 Gb/s which should be fast enough to make at least for consumers the whole idea of LAN cabling a bit redundant. (businesses and ISP's are pushing on towards the 1Tb/s limits but they have different objectives to deliver.

    Note on the connections though on the computers set the mode to either Full duplex or Auto depending on how good (or bad) the router is -- most ISP supplied routers --even for cable are only good for a 1 way trip to the Tip -- one particular brand to avoid but given out by a load of ISP's is the "Technicolor" brand --nothing to do with the Hollywood Movie / Film color company BTW. Avoid like the plague. It's a total piece of junk. Another one of these "Idiot auto setup" things that don't allow any sort of decent manual settings to get the best and maximum security out of the device,

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,503
    X
       #8

    BrokenDaily said:
    ... with our block now wired for fiber optic, and the line extended to our house, the only thing left to do is to buy the plan, get the modem, and set our house up ...If our house gets wired for fiber optic, how would we go setting it up for 3 computers all wanting to connect by way of Ethernet?
    I don't think you need to put fiber **in** your house. The fiber is outside.

    The ISP will install a fiber-to-cable box (Google fiber calls it the "fiber jack") in your home. That connects to the modem/router over conventional Ethernet cable.

    We got Google fiber two years ago. All I had to do was click to order and click to pay.

    The outside installer put a box on the back of the house for the fiber junction.

    The inside installer put the fiber jack inside, installed the router in a closet (Google calls it the "network box"), installed a "cable box" at each TV, programmed the Google TV remotes, connected two LAN-side cables for the wired computers ... and done.

    With four Google cable TV boxes plus the "network box" ... we have five wifi access points in the house.

    I provided no equipment of any kind.

    What does your provider offer?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    First off, even though I'll still accept replies and information about this, the main request/question has been solved, so thank you everyone that informed me about this

    Second off, I've been meaning to ask Plateau what equipment we'll get if we do this, but they already got a the fiber optic line/box hooked on the backwall of the house with a line leading to it. the only thing left is to drill a hole for the fiber line to go into the house, most likely the attic, and then (insert rest of plateau stuff here).

    my dad expects there to be a dedicated outlet (like the power outlets in the house, or a phone line for landline type home phones/dial-up internet and so on) either in the kitchen, or perhaps one in each room that counts as needed or something or other

    - - - Updated - - -

    but what I really think, is we'll get a modem that we'll situate in the hallway leading to the master bedroom/kitchen, on top one of the bookshelves in said hallway, most likely in the same spot our greenpacket modem/router-thingy is

    question: if we do a modem and router (mainly for our phones to connect to wifi, to conserve the amount of AT&T 4G Mobile Data used to ease up on what phone bills there are), and we end up getting a switch to extend the number of ethernet ports (if its like a 4 port router, so get a 4-more port switch), will the switch still give out good throughput and speed, or will there be any sort of drop in performance overall?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 11,182
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #10

    BrokenDaily said:
    First off, even though I'll still accept replies and information about this, the main request/question has been solved, so thank you everyone that informed me about this

    Second off, I've been meaning to ask Plateau what equipment we'll get if we do this, but they already got a the fiber optic line/box hooked on the backwall of the house with a line leading to it. the only thing left is to drill a hole for the fiber line to go into the house, most likely the attic, and then (insert rest of plateau stuff here).

    my dad expects there to be a dedicated outlet (like the power outlets in the house, or a phone line for landline type home phones/dial-up internet and so on) either in the kitchen, or perhaps one in each room that counts as needed or something or other

    - - - Updated - - -

    but what I really think, is we'll get a modem that we'll situate in the hallway leading to the master bedroom/kitchen, on top one of the bookshelves in said hallway, most likely in the same spot our greenpacket modem/router-thingy is

    question: if we do a modem and router (mainly for our phones to connect to wifi, to conserve the amount of AT&T 4G Mobile Data used to ease up on what phone bills there are), and we end up getting a switch to extend the number of ethernet ports (if its like a 4 port router, so get a 4-more port switch), will the switch still give out good throughput and speed, or will there be any sort of drop in performance overall?

    Hi there

    IMO (and in practical experience too) the Switch will actually IMPROVE throughput -- since the Modem only has to supply one address there's no contention between the various computers -- the switch will handle all the protocols etc -- get a 1Gb/s switch they are really cheap and as I posted before you'll only need 1 LAN cable between switch and router -- and just have the lan cables from computers to the switch.

    UK price includes Tax equiv to approx 12 USD -- In USA probably cheaper (I think Definitley cheaper)

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-...ZHQSRT9JG&th=1

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums