Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Can't connect to remote printer


    I'm using windows 10 and I'm trying to connect to a printer attached to a remote networked Windows 7 Pro computer. When I go to Settings/Devices/Add printer my printer attached to the remote computer shows up. When I click on the printer I get a window that says "That didn't work". We can't install this printer right now. Try again later or contact your network administrator for help." Anyone know how to handle this??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 41
    Windows 10

    Same problem. I have two printers directly attached to the computer. Can't use either - "printer spooler not working". Add a printer doesn't work. Can't find printer. Yet I can get a screen of all printers. They're all there. However Device Manager only shows 2 unidentified printers with no properties.
    Whatever happened to "Plug 'n Play" ?
    Stuart
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,567
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.125

    Hi did not your printers come with ubs plug and play mine did as well as wire free.
    Also did any software come with them like a disc.
    Also is that the make of your printer or is that the name Microsoft gave it because it could not find it, because mine came up as unidentified printer until I put the disc in and downloaded the driver then it put it on line for me and connected ok.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 41
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by hTconeM9user View Post
    Hi did not your printers come with ubs plug and play mine did as well as wire free.
    Also did any software come with them like a disc.
    Also is that the make of your printer or is that the name Microsoft gave it because it could not find it, because mine came up as unidentified printer until I put the disc in and downloaded the driver then it put it on line for me and connected ok.
    Thanks for jumping in. all three printers have been attached to the computer for two or more years and have worked fine with windows 7 Pro. They are -
    Brother 2150N laser printer (workhorse for me) USB connection.
    HP LaserJet CP1525 Color USB connection but also WiFi
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 WiFi connection
    They all came with Plug and Play and as far as I remember I did not even have to use the discs, although I have discs for all three. After getting your message I tried the Brother 2150N disc. It started off OK. First question is USB or network cable. I chose USB. Very soon into the setup, there was an error message "Parameters not correct" but the installation continued and finished correctly but it still does not work, Any attempt gets an error message "Print spooler not running. Connect it or restart computer. I cannot see how to restart it and I have restarted the computer several times while trying to find a solution.
    Device Manager shows for Printers two unidentified devices. Have you any suggestions of other things I might try
    Stuart
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 354
    Widows 10/Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by aldago View Post
    I'm using windows 10 and I'm trying to connect to a printer attached to a remote networked Windows 7 Pro computer. When I go to Settings/Devices/Add printer my printer attached to the remote computer shows up. When I click on the printer I get a window that says "That didn't work". We can't install this printer right now. Try again later or contact your network administrator for help." Anyone know how to handle this??

    If you can find out what the IP of the printer is. Here's what I did, it's tucked away in Settings/Devices.

    Click add a printer or scanner in this screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P0.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	30241
    Then click "the printer that I want isn't listed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	30242

    In this screen there are various options to try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	30244

    You can try the IP in both boxes, seems to work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	30245

    then hopefully
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	30247

    Why it's tucked away beggars belief.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,567
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.125

    HI Thanks for helping hope your way works fancy hiding it as you say
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    win 10

    Check that the service 'SSDP' is running. If it isn't, and it won't start, check that the http service is running. Note: the http service seems to be hidden from any normal view, so try 'net start http' (at a command prompt). Once SSDP is running, you may need to start the UPnP service.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    11 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 41
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
    If you can find out what the IP of the printer is. Here's what I did, it's tucked away in Settings/Devices.

    Click add a printer or scanner in this screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P0.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	30241
    Then click "the printer that I want isn't listed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	30242

    In this screen there are various options to try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	30244

    You can try the IP in both boxes, seems to work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	30245

    then hopefully
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	30247

    Why it's tucked away beggars belief.
    I thought this would solve my problem since I have the IP addresses of two of the printers . alas when I click "My printer is not listed, I get the Windows 10 Error Message "Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine". I have not been able to restart the spooler and I have restarted the machine umpteen times.
    Stuart
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    11 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 354
    Widows 10/Linux

    Sagrant

    In Services (control panel/admin tools/ services)
    is yours like mine?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	30462
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    11 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 41
    Windows 10

    Cannot connect to remote printer


    Thanks Torquemada.
    My Services(local) Properties/Dependencies is exactly like yours except no mention of Dell Status Watcher. My Computer is Dell but not any of the printers. On the general tab, the service Status is stopped. If I press Start then for a millisecond there is a bar with a green flash, then the Windows 10 Error Message "Windows could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer. Error 0x80070057. The parameter is incorrect"
    I previously came across this number when looking on Google for help. There were pages of answers but I did not find anything helpful. Be grateful if you have any ideas.
    Stuart
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved remote desktop connection
(1)The initial box you get when trying to connect ,has below,is it the computer name the pc your on or the pc s name your trying to connect to? computer .............? user name-none specified (2) the enter your credential box after above Whats...
Network and Sharing
Remote desktop connection
Remote desktop connection so here is my issue when I have Windows 7 or use remote desktop to stream movies to the Xbox one now that I've upgraded to windows 10 every time I exit RDP it closes down the stream the Xbox no apps will remain open when...
Network and Sharing
Remote Procedure Call (2)
Ever since downloading the updates for 10130 on my Surface Pro 3 (after a clean install) the Service Host: Remote Procedure Call is going crazy, running constantly at 50%+ CPU, as a result of which the device is constantly running hot and battery...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums