How to keep "obtain DNS server address automatically" permanent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #1

    How to keep "obtain DNS server address automatically" permanent


    Hi all,

    I have been having some Internet issues at my new school. A while back, a friend set my laptop to "use the following DNS server addresses" and put in the Google DNS addresses (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Apparently, these don't work on this school's Internet. Whenever I switch back to "obtain DNS server address automatically", I'm able to access the Internet, but I have to go through this process every day. It's not a huge deal once or twice, but doing this every day for the next five years would be quite annoying.

    I've already reset the TCP/IP, which worked temporarily yesterday, but today it has reverted back to its old ways. I don't seem to have any viruses, as I had a scan done a few days ago, and I haven't been having any other issues with my laptop. For what it's worth, I've been doing all this in IPv4.

    Thanks in advance for the help :)
      My Computer

  2. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,548
    windows 10
       #2

    Welcome to the forum. Do you know how he set it on the network card is it set to get IP DNS auto or is set fixed? If it's set to auto he has set it up on the router not the PC. DNS resolves name it won't stop the internet
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Samuria said:
    Welcome to the forum. Do you know how he set it on the network card is it set to get IP DNS auto or is set fixed? If it's set to auto he has set it up on the router not the PC. DNS resolves name it won't stop the internet
    Hi, thank you. I am not really sure, it was a few years ago. I only have problems at the school, not at home.
      My Computer

  4. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,801
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #4

    michaelt said:
    Hi, thank you. I am not really sure, it was a few years ago. I only have problems at the school, not at home.
    Hi there.

    Have you tried contacting your school's IT help desk?
    Why do you need to switch your DNS servers?


      My Computer

  5. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 5,012
    Windows 11 Home
       #5

    You can use NetSetMan to quickly switch between various profiles, also to keep them locked.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Compumind said:
    Hi there.

    Have you tried contacting your school's IT help desk?
    Why do you need to switch your DNS servers?


    Hi! Yes, I met with someone in the department, he "wasn't familiar with Windows" (I don't know how this happens for someone in his position), but maybe I can go to somebody else. He at least showed me the temporary solution I laid out earlier.

    He said that the school's WiFi won't work with the Google DNS servers (or something)

    - - - Updated - - -

    TairikuOkami said:
    You can use NetSetMan to quickly switch between various profiles, also to keep them locked.
    Thank you! I will check this out shortly and report back.
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    TairikuOkami said:
    You can use NetSetMan to quickly switch between various profiles, also to keep them locked.
    Hi, just following up:

    This seems to do the job, but not automatically. Do I have to hit "activate" for my preferred settings every time I log on?
      My Computer

  8. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 11,007
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #8

    michaelt said:
    Hi, just following up:

    This seems to do the job, but not automatically. Do I have to hit "activate" for my preferred settings every time I log on?
    Hi there
    @michaelt

    I don't know anything about the command you are running but as it seems to work why don't you try and start this automatically at boot time as a "Start after boot" command.

    There are people here on this Forum who know Windows much better than me (I'm usually a Linux user) but I'm sure Windows has facilities for automatically starting jobs / batch scripts after logon (or even something like Linux's Crontab where you can schedule commands / services / scripts etc to be run at user determined intervals --as a "Job Scheduler").

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  9. king901's Avatar
    Posts : 30
    Windows 10
       #9

    Welcome to the windows ten forum
    Sounds like you might have to flush the dns server for it to reset. here is how to flush a dns server.

    To clear your DNS cache
    1. On your keyboard, press Win+X to open the WinX Menu.
    2. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Run the following command:
      ipconfig /flushdns




      If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message:
      Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

    Then have all your internet connections connect automatically including the dns one as well. your problem should stop and you will be able to browse the internet.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    @michaelt

    I don't know anything about the command you are running but as it seems to work why don't you try and start this automatically at boot time as a "Start after boot" command.

    There are people here on this Forum who know Windows much better than me (I'm usually a Linux user) but I'm sure Windows has facilities for automatically starting jobs / batch scripts after logon (or even something like Linux's Crontab where you can schedule commands / services / scripts etc to be run at user determined intervals --as a "Job Scheduler").

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hi Jimbo,

    This seems like a good idea to me. It looks as though the program already opens upon startup. Maybe I can have it "activated" for me upon startup as well. This is not my area of expertise, though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    king901 said:
    Welcome to the windows ten forum
    Sounds like you might have to flush the dns server for it to reset. here is how to flush a dns server.

    To clear your DNS cache
    1. On your keyboard, press Win+X to open the WinX Menu.
    2. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Run the following command:
      ipconfig /flushdns




      If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message:
      Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

    Then have all your internet connections connect automatically including the dns one as well. your problem should stop and you will be able to browse the internet.
    Yes!! This looks like what I've been searching for. I went through with this, now I'll probably have to wait a day or two to make sure this has fully taken effect. Thanks so much!

    - - - Updated - - -

    king901 said:
    Welcome to the windows ten forum
    Sounds like you might have to flush the dns server for it to reset. here is how to flush a dns server.

    To clear your DNS cache
    1. On your keyboard, press Win+X to open the WinX Menu.
    2. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Run the following command:
      ipconfig /flushdns




      If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message:
      Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

    Then have all your internet connections connect automatically including the dns one as well. your problem should stop and you will be able to browse the internet.
    @king901

    This unfortunately seems to have been only a temporary fix. Today it had defaulted back to the Google DNS.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums