What's wrong with Nearby Sharing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 69
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Bree said:
    You don't, you set up network sharing as in this tutorial.

    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10
    Thanks for the tutorial link. I was under the impression that actual sharing between computers was no longer possible in Windows 10, and that the only way to "share" a file was to send it to a nearby computer (which is not strictly "sharing"). The method described in the tutorial is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks!

    I'm new to Windows 10 and tenforums. I need to spend more time reading your tutorials!
      My Computer

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,298
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #12

    perkinw said:
    The method described in the tutorial is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks!
    Actually the method described in the tutorial is Workgroup sharing, which has been around far longer than Homegroup. Workgroup sharing started in Windows for Workgroups 3.1 and has been part of Windows ever since, while Homegroups was an alternative introduced in Windows 7.
      My Computers

  3. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,169
    Mac OS Catalina
       #13

    perkinw said:
    Thanks for the tutorial link. I was under the impression that actual sharing between computers was no longer possible in Windows 10, and that the only way to "share" a file was to send it to a nearby computer (which is not strictly "sharing"). The method described in the tutorial is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks!

    I'm new to Windows 10 and tenforums. I need to spend more time reading your tutorials!
    Nope. You can still share between devices with Windows, to any device that uses NFS or SMB protocols.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 984
    X
       #14

    So get rid of the bluetooth mouse and get one that uses a dongle. Voila. No more bluetooth.
    Honestly, if you're not the world's worst sinner you don't deserve the punishment known as bluetooth.
    perkinw said:
    I can't see any way to tell Nearby Sharing what kind of network to use (Bluetooth or WiFi). And I just can't turn BT off because I use a BT mouse.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 69
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #15

    Bree said:
    You don't, you set up network sharing as in this tutorial.

    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10
    Thanks for pointing me to this excellent tutorial. I followed it to set up sharing on my network, and it's working!
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,298
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #16

    perkinw said:
    Thanks for pointing me to this excellent tutorial. I followed it to set up sharing on my network, and it's working!
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 69
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Bree said:
    Maybe I declared victory too soon. One day ago, both PC's could see each other and were able to share folders. Today, one of the PC's does not see the other (it only sees itself). Neither machine has been rebooted. I re-checked all the settings in the sharing tutorial to make sure they hadn't changed. They are the same.

    The PC which CAN see the other is connected to a router by Ethernet. The PC which cannot see the other is on WiFi.

    Just to be clear, when I say one machine "sees" the other, I mean the other machine is listed under Network in File Explorer.
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,298
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #18

    perkinw said:
    Today, one of the PC's does not see the other (it only sees itself)....
    ...Just to be clear, when I say one machine "sees" the other, I mean the other machine is listed under Network in File Explorer.

    What is shown in Network is not actually a direct detection of each other PC, rather it is the list of known PCs held on the Master Browser which has been queried by your PC. There is only one Master Browser, but it could be any one of the PCs on your network. They hold an election now and then to decide which one it will be.

    Sometimes the Master Browser is slow to populate its list of known PCs. That's when one or more may 'disappear'. Make sure that on each PC the following services are set as follows: 'Function Discovery Provider Host' set to 'Automatic', 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' set to 'Automatic (Triggered start)'

    In 'Turn Windows features on or off' make sure 'SMB Direct' is enabled. If all esle fails, you could try turning on 'SMB 1.0/CIFS client', but this is not recommended. SMB1 is a deprecated feature and should only be turned on if absolutely necessary.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 69
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Bree said:
    What is shown in Network is not actually a direct detection of each other PC, rather it is the list of known PCs held on the Master Browser which has been queried by your PC. There is only one Master Browser, but it could be any one of the PCs on your network. They hold an election now and then to decide which one it will be.

    Sometimes the Master Browser is slow to populate its list of known PCs. That's when one or more may 'disappear'. Make sure that on each PC the following services are set as follows: 'Function Discovery Provider Host' set to 'Automatic', 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' set to 'Automatic (Triggered start)'

    In 'Turn Windows features on or off' make sure 'SMB Direct' is enabled. If all esle fails, you could try turning on 'SMB 1.0/CIFS client', but this is not recommended. SMB1 is a deprecated feature and should only be turned on if absolutely necessary.
    I checked that all the settings. The only difference I found was that I had previously enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS. So I unchecked it on both machines and restarted both machines. After restarting, the situation is unchanged.

    Actually, one machine sees the other but does not see itself. The other machine sees itself but not the other!

    - - - Updated - - -

    perkinw said:
    I checked that all the settings. The only difference I found was that I had previously enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS. So I unchecked it on both machines and restarted both machines. After restarting, the situation is unchanged.

    Actually, one machine sees the other but does not see itself. The other machine sees itself but not the other!
    It turns out that I do need SMB 1.0/CIFS. Without it, neither machine can communicate with my Synology NAS, which I'm using for File History.

    I don't know whether re-activating SMB 1.0/CIFS or restarting both machines had anything to do with it, but now both PC's see each other.
      My Computer

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,298
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #20

    perkinw said:
    It turns out that I do need SMB 1.0/CIFS. Without it, neither machine can communicate with my Synology NAS, which I'm using for File History.
    I don't know whether re-activating SMB 1.0/CIFS or restarting both machines had anything to do with it, but now both PC's see each other.
    In my experience turning on SMB1 probably had a lot to do with it.


    I have the same problem, in my case File History uses an external HDD shared by plugging it into my router (which only supports SMB1). Note that you'll only need the SMB 1.0/CIFS client in order to access your legacy NAS server.


    What's wrong with Nearby Sharing?-smb1-client.png
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums