Windows 10, 10gbe connection slow transfer, DefaultSendWindow / tcp


  1. Posts : 17
    Windows 7
       #1

    Windows 10, 10gbe connection slow transfer, DefaultSendWindow / tcp


    Hey

    I did a bit of research on this matter and I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to windows DefaultSendWindow being set too low for modern networks.

    Where can I edit this setting in windows to force a different tcp buffer length size.

    I found this on internet TCP Window size problems


    and this in that post
    You can do that by editing the registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters\DefaultSendWindow


    But this is empty on my end and I don't know what values I should put in to configure that.

    A more 10gbe related topic on this I have posted on this forum, in case any1 is interested.
    10gb SFP + network setup - slow windows TCP Transfer - Spiceworks

    From my tests over there you can see that the windows is the issue of slow transfer speeds and not hardware/zfs/freenas.

    Regards
    Dariusz
      My Computer

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,350
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    Windows will adjust the TCP Window, depending on the packet size and CRC. If you are using a 10GB connection, your problem would be with the CPU, not the network adapter or Windows.
      My Computers

  3. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,037
    windows 10
       #3

    Whats your mtu set to?
      My Computer

  4. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,657
    Windows Home Dev 21H1 x64
       #4

    Dariusz said:
    But this is empty on my end and I don't know what values I should put in to configure that.
    Take a look here, maybe you will find something useful.

    TCP Optimizer 4 Documentation - Windows 7, 8, 10, 2012 Server
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Hey all

    Thanks for help & ideas!


    @bro67 I have 2 ethernet connections, 1 for internet, 1 for private offline network. the internet one is 1GB the Private one is 10GB. Maybe windows takes the test result from the 1GB internet network and applies to all interfaces, not sure. I don't think its the CPU, as you can see on the other forum where I posted Jperf results. Also how can it be cpu if I can upload to NAS at speed of 300MB but only download at 100MB ? Does not make sense. I was able to download at 700MB+ on old workstation and this one is even faster.

    @Samuria - I just run tests, Used this for guide : Changing the MTU size in Windows Vista, 7 or 8 (mtu, speed, windows, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista)
    , I tried 3000 and 9000. No change :- (

    @TairikuOkami - I will check it out today. Thanks!

    I also went over this post A word about AutoTuningLevel Hybrid Networking | Cloud and OnPrem
    Seems to be latest -most up to date information.

    I'm fairly sure its down tow indows. Seeing how often MS changers/tweaks TCP managment system. Old windows which was installed like 3 years ago worked quite fast out of the box with 10GB connection. The new windows does not the only conclusion I can come with is that there is a setting buried somewhere that is messing stuff up.

    Thanks all for help, will keep it posted if I figure it out.
      My Computer

  6. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,350
    Mac OS Catalina
       #6

    The 10GB network is only going to be as fast as the data the computer is routing from the 1GB network adapter. 10GB cards are meant for Fibre connections that you are getting very fast connections coming in, not for slow Internet 1GB or below. If this is for a test bench for playing around with network equipment on the Internal LAN, you are going to deal with packets not being too large for WAN. Depending on how fast the computer is that you are using as your Router, it depends on how well the 10GB is going to run.

    Playing with the tuning is not going to fix anything.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 17
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Hey
    @bro67
    I'm not sure where the confusion is coming. I'm sorry if I'm unclear somehow. to put it simply TLR The hardware is not the problem, old windows yielded 800MB/DL and 300MB/UP. New windows yields 100MB/DL and 300MB/UL. There is NO HARDWARE LIMITATION HERE. I simply installed windows on new workstation - now workstation is not your average pc here. Its 2990WX based rig running M.2 as only drivers. There is also no transfer happening between the 1Gb network and 10Gb one. The 1Gb is intended for internet access and 10Gb for internal nas/data transfer. The Jperf tests do show that if I change the buffer size from default to 16/32mb I'm getting fast transfers. So it the issue must be OS.

    (I think its 1Gb not 1GB right? Still getting a hang of the gbGBGb names).

    Also the more I look in to it the more I see people having the same problems on FreeNAS forum. Where they have 300MB limit of data transfer. Problem is that there is nothing that can be changed other than tunables. So not sure what else to bite there. So I'm fairly sure its the windows. As my old Windows worked better than the current one.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1
    Windows10
       #8

    Any resolution to this?


    Dariusz said:
    Hey
    @bro67
    I'm not sure where the confusion is coming. I'm sorry if I'm unclear somehow. to put it simply TLR The hardware is not the problem, old windows yielded 800MB/DL and 300MB/UP. New windows yields 100MB/DL and 300MB/UL. There is NO HARDWARE LIMITATION HERE. I simply installed windows on new workstation - now workstation is not your average pc here. Its 2990WX based rig running M.2 as only drivers. There is also no transfer happening between the 1Gb network and 10Gb one. The 1Gb is intended for internet access and 10Gb for internal nas/data transfer. The Jperf tests do show that if I change the buffer size from default to 16/32mb I'm getting fast transfers. So it the issue must be OS.

    (I think its 1Gb not 1GB right? Still getting a hang of the gbGBGb names).

    Also the more I look in to it the more I see people having the same problems on FreeNAS forum. Where they have 300MB limit of data transfer. Problem is that there is nothing that can be changed other than tunables. So not sure what else to bite there. So I'm fairly sure its the windows. As my old Windows worked better than the current one.
    @Dariusz I know this is an older thread but was there ever a resolution to this? I am having a similar issue and seem to have exhausted the knowledgebase of the internet.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Anim8me2 said:
    @Dariusz I know this is an older thread but was there ever a resolution to this? I am having a similar issue and seem to have exhausted the knowledgebase of the internet.
    Yeh I managed to get it run fast at the end. But then did format 2 days ago and I'm back to being slow again! WRRRRRrrrr!!!!

    Right now I'm 500-750 upload and 40-50 download, ehhh as if for some reason incoming packets to windows are somehow damaged or something ;/

    Googling again on how to fix that.

    Looks like I had some luck here > 10gb SFP + network setup - slow windows TCP Transfer - Spiceworks
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums