Windows 10: Internet connections gets lost (no adapter problems reported) Solved

  1.    02 Aug 2015 #1

    Internet connection suddenly gets lost (no adapter problems reported)


    Hi everyone,

    Yesterday I updated from Win7 to Win10. I'm connected to the internet via a LAN cable (the PC has no Wifi). Since the update, my internet connection gets lost after a random amount of time. I have to reboot to regain internet connection.

    When the connection is lost, there are no error reports and no reported issues with the network adapter. I did however notice that the status of IPv4 (seemingly spontenuously) changes from "Internet" to "No network conection". After a reboot, it is set to "Internet" again.

    This issue never occured under Windows 7.

    I have contacted my Internet provider. They are unaware of any modem (Ubee) issues in combination with Windows 10. They've tried helping me changing some modem settings, but to no avail. Also, I have a Wifi router connected to the modem, and the Wifi connection stays up (I'm using that one now with my tablet to make this post). So, it does seem to me to be a Windows 10 related issue.

    Does anyone recognize this problem? What can I do to fix this?

    Thank you for your help,
    Bas
    Last edited by Bas71; 02 Aug 2015 at 16:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    03 Aug 2015 #2

    I have also checked the drivers for the onboard BroadCom NetLink ethernet adapter. Windows update says I have the latest drivers (from 2013!). Are these the same drivers as under Windows 7?

    As you can see in the image below, the IPv4 connection is lost (also the IPv6, but I have never a connection via that protocol).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	28044

    I downloaded the latest drivers from BroadCom (win_b57_x64-17.0.0.3), but they won't install. That is:

    - if I rightclick the inf file and choose install, i get the message: completed - yet, there is no new driver version number in the device manager
    - if i choose to update the driver from the device manager, i get the message 'the best driver is already installed' and it does not update the driver

    Can anyone please help? Please?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       06 Aug 2015 #3

    Bas71 said: View Post
    I have also checked the drivers for the onboard BroadCom NetLink ethernet adapter. Windows update says I have the latest drivers (from 2013!). Are these the same drivers as under Windows 7?

    As you can see in the image below, the IPv4 connection is lost (also the IPv6, but I have never a connection via that protocol).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	28044

    I downloaded the latest drivers from BroadCom (win_b57_x64-17.0.0.3), but they won't install. That is:

    - if I rightclick the inf file and choose install, i get the message: completed - yet, there is no new driver version number in the device manager
    - if i choose to update the driver from the device manager, i get the message 'the best driver is already installed' and it does not update the driver

    Can anyone please help? Please?

    I am having the same exact issue. I have noticed that the connection is fine for several hours of light use, but if I attempt to play an online game I get this issue after just a few minutes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Aug 2015 #4

    reckes said: View Post
    I am having the same exact issue. I have noticed that the connection is fine for several hours of light use, but if I attempt to play an online game I get this issue after just a few minutes.
    Me to, but I don't even need to a heavy load. It will break off after a certain amount of transferred packages or allotted time it seems. I just run the Troubleshotter and then I'm back again, but after a while I will lose my connection again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       10 Aug 2015 #5

    I turned off both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall Friday evening and haven't had any issues since then. I also released\renewed my ip address via the router menu (although I don't think this would have done anything).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Aug 2015 #6

    Network lost


    Kumabjorn said: View Post
    Me to, but I don't even need to a heavy load. It will break off after a certain amount of transferred packages or allotted time it seems. I just run the Troubleshotter and then I'm back again, but after a while I will lose my connection again.
    I've the same problem, sometimes the connections lasts tow hours, some times 6 hours, but after losing connection the only thing that helps is a restart of my computer
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Aug 2015 #7

    The On-board internet controller on the Dell 8100 is not compatible with WIN 10, and there isn't an updated driver. There is, however, a cheap solution. Purchase and install a HiRO H50218 PCIe Ethernet adapter for about $15 at Amazon. Before installing the new NIC first enter the BIOS and disable the on-board controller, a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet controller. In the BIOS look under Chipset options to disable the on-board NIC. Now install the new NIC in an available PCIe slot and reboot. At the logon screen it will appear that you don't have an internet connection, but once you log on WIN 10 will find and install the proper driver automatically. That's it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    25 Aug 2015 #8

    Ok, so it's a compatibility and driver issue. Hope Microsoft and Dell/Broadcom (or other manufacturers for people with the same problem on other systems) fix this soon.

    There is another solution than putting in a separate ethernet adapter (as Dan Jay suggested). After days of fidlling with drivers and settings, for the integrated Broadcom ethernet adapter I tried a rollback to the original Windows 7 drivers my system came with (drivers from 2009!).

    Now, after a couple of days of trying and testing, with these ancient drivers the connection seems to be stable again.

    Unfortunately, there is also a backside to this solution. The automatic sleep-mode (for energy-saving) now no longer works. My guess is that these 2009 ethernet-drivers are buggy and keep 'waking up' the system. And I have tried practically every setting in the device manager. So again, let's hope Microsoft fixes this issue soon.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Sep 2015 #9

    I have/had this problem.
    It was a nightmare sharing files etc. I for whatever reason pinned the rogue computer to Quick Access, now it is always accessible. Does not always show under Network but is always there.
    Maybe it is not an adapter problem, maybe it is that the explore interface does not refresh.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I'm on build 10122. After an hour or so of operation I lose all network access by Ethernet using the built-in Broadcom NetLink Gigabit adapter. If I plug in a USB WiFi adapter all network and internet access is okay. Reboot and the Ethernet access...
Upgraded yesterday and lost internet in Network and Sharing
I upgraded to W10 yesterday and had no issues at all. I used the internet all day without any problems. Last night around 2AM we just lost the internet and the centurylink modem kept blinking red for internet. Nothing seemed to be able to fix it but...
I just installed windows 10 onto my Lenovo Y510p today and I'm having multiple problems, mostly with the network connection. Anything that has something to do with microsoft or windows (microsoft edge, microsoft store, activation service, identity...
Haven't found other threads dealing with this, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get my wireless display adapter working properly in Win10 (worked great with my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 - I'm on Win 10 build 9926 at the moment). ...
I just updated my Windows 10 laptop to version 9860 and have a problem. It's best to show rather than tell, so here are a couple of snips from the laptop. 73677368 I was asked to upgrade to IE 11 and I think that may be the problem. If so, how do...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17.
Find Us