Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network


  1. Posts : 20
    Windows 10
       #1

    Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network


    After recently updating 2 PCs on a home network (both plugged into only router..then Charter Spectrum Modem) I can no longer access files and folders from each.

    The PCs now see/show each other as "MEDIA DEVICES" and clicking on each opens Windows Media Player......How do i get access to each pc files/folders?

    I have checked/unchecked everything that needs to be in "Networking and sharing center"........

    thanks in advance
      My Computer

  2. dmholt57's Avatar
    Posts : 11,566
    19041.1 Pro 19041.21 Home
       #2

    Open services.msc and set the 2 Function Discovery services to Automatic and start both.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 20
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    i will try ..thanks
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 20
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    dmholt57 said:
    Open services.msc and set the 2 Function Discovery services to Automatic and start both.
    sorry for the late reply...was on vacation. i did this but still cannot connect. the pc finally shows as a network computer/folder (but also a media device still) but when i click on it, i get a error
    0x80070035 "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose"

    all the network sharing settings are correct, no firewall ro antivirus problems, i can ping both computers from each other....
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 20
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    any other suggestions?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 20
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    i got it working! i changed the name of the pc on the network and also disabled IPV6....i did them at the same time and rebooted so not sure which one exactly fixed it, but its now working!!!!
      My Computer


  7. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,452
    10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #7

    shagadelic45 said:
    ...not sure which one exactly fixed it, but its now working!!!!
    Changing the name has been reported as a fix by others with similar problems, so it was probably that.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #8

    shagadelic45 said:
    i got it working! i changed the name of the pc on the network and also disabled IPV6....i did them at the same time and rebooted so not sure which one exactly fixed it, but its now working!!!!
    I realize that this is an old thread, but I juat wanted to thank you for the name change suggestion. For the past week I haven't been able to access a Windows 10 PC over the network with any of my several media players/devices. Tried several different fixes and none but this worked. I didn't even have to disable IPV6.

    Thanks!!!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 20
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    pagan65 said:
    I realize that this is an old thread, but I juat wanted to thank you for the name change suggestion. For the past week I haven't been able to access a Windows 10 PC over the network with any of my several media players/devices. Tried several different fixes and none but this worked. I didn't even have to disable IPV6.

    Thanks!!!
    glad it's working!!!!!!!
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums