Windows 10: Win 10 File Sharing Not working after 17134 update

  1.    01 Jun 2018 #1

    Win 10 File Sharing Not working after 17134 update


    I've got a mixed network - a few Win 10 machines and a few Linux Mint 18.x machines. Ten machines in all.
    File sharing has been working fine, for the most part.

    After the recent update, some of the Win10 systems can't see any of the other computers, but there is something odd.

    Some of the Linux systems can see the Win10 system[s] with no problem. For example, I copy Images from a Windows 10 machine to a Small linux box that acts as a Picture frame with a 32" monitor. No problem. This continues to work as it has for a long time. Drive shared read-only from Win 10 system. Reach over from Linux box to get images. Still works after 17134 update on Win 10.

    But this same Win 10 machine only sees itself. It can't even see - using the file browser - the machine that can see it, even right after the Linux machine copied files from it.

    And another thing. A Linux machine that is mostly off the net could not see any of the Win 10 machines. But it could see the Linux machines. I found this,

    [SOLVED] Error connecting windows share (SMB, UFW kernel 4.8) - Linux Mint Forums

    and applied the fix to the linux box mentioned at the end of this post. And voila. It can see the win 10 boxes. But this same win 10 system mentioned above cannot see it.

    So do we know that Win 10 SMB is basically broken. Not only for Linux, but also for Win 10 itself?
    Anybody know a fix that does not involve renaming all the computers? That is nonsense and I will carry thumb drives before I change all the names of my 10 computers. Win 10 will eventually make this work with the same computer names.

    BTW, I have not "Joined any HOMEGROUPS" or whatever that bad idea was called now that it's out of the system. And all my machines are on the WORKGROUP network.

    Thanks so much,
    wg
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jun 2018 #2

    Hey Windy Gamer,
    Check that the following Windows Services are running and their startup type is set to Automatic (Delayed Start)

    Function Discovery Provider Host - Automatic (Delayed Start)
    Function Discovery Resource Publication - Automatic (Delayed Start)

    Note: It can take a couple of minutes for the PC's to show up in File Explorer > Network
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    01 Jun 2018 #3

    Yep... Those services were part of it... Sigh... Discovery Publication was stopped. duh.

    Also the SMB 1 client was off and things showed up, including other Windows 10 machines, when I turned on the SMB 1.0 client.
    I thought SMB 1 was deprecated, but apparently not.
    More checking to do, but things appear to be working a lot better now.

    Here are some relevant screen shots for how to turn things on:

    Fix File Sharing on Windows 10 after 17134 Update - Album on Imgur

    Thanks,
    wg
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    01 Jun 2018 #4

    I thought SMB 1 was deprecated, but apparently not.
    Yes, SMBv1 is deprecated ... If you do NOT have any legacy devices on your network that need SMBv1, you should be able to uninstall it (uncheck all 3).
    Note: If you do need SMBv1, you should at least uncheck the Automatic Removal entry.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    02 Jun 2018 #5

    Eagle51 said: View Post
    Yes, SMBv1 is deprecated ... If you do NOT have any legacy devices on your network that need SMBv1, you should be able to uninstall it (uncheck all 3).
    Note: If you do need SMBv1, you should at least uncheck the Automatic Removal entry.
    Welllllllll... This Windows 10 machine, with 17134, did not see the other machines on the network, including several Win 10 / 17134 machines, unless I checked the SMBv1 box. Hence my comment. Not clear how that means "Deprecated" if you need it to see other up to date machines on the network. I look forward to future updates. This might always be fixed in some future update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Jun 2018 #6

    Hey Windy Gamer,
    You can find out what SMB version/dialect your shares are using by doing the following ...

    Open PowerShell as Admin
    get-smbconnection

    Note: If they command does NOT return any info, then you need to actually access each of your share folders and run the command again.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 prof version 17134
       04 Jun 2018 #7

    I have similar problems with my 4 computers:
    3 of them are under W10-64 version 17134
    the last one has not been update to 17134 yet (stil in 16xxx)
    When I open Network with the file explorer, I see the icons of the other computers where I have shared directoiries and I also see the icon for my internet box.
    However, on the 2 first computer I am only able to open my own icon and the box. The 3 other computers are seen but when I click on them I get an error message (Windows cannot access \\xxx error x8077035)
    on the 3rd computer, in addition I can access the 4th computer an reciprocally.
    I have done all what is suggested in this forum and other forums to solve this problem but nothing wotks.
    I change the function do discover publication service ressources to automatic.
    I tried to change the name of one computer (both name in system folder and network name in internet folder)
    I set SMB1 to automatic (both client and server)
    I tried to restart network connection
    Nothing works.

    Can you help me, please, since I cannot send any data from my development machine to my real-time machines.

    Thank you in advance

    JPPa320
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    20 Jun 2018 #8

    I have the same problem today. And what I did is reinstalling the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the Network Adapter Property. And its solved now.

    Hope that it helps you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 Jun 2018 #9

    jppa320 said: View Post
    I have similar problems with my 4 computers:
    3 of them are under W10-64 version 17134
    the last one has not been update to 17134 yet (stil in 16xxx)
    When I open Network with the file explorer, I see the icons of the other computers where I have shared directoiries and I also see the icon for my internet box.
    However, on the 2 first computer I am only able to open my own icon and the box. The 3 other computers are seen but when I click on them I get an error message (Windows cannot access \\xxx error x8077035)
    on the 3rd computer, in addition I can access the 4th computer an reciprocally.
    I have done all what is suggested in this forum and other forums to solve this problem but nothing wotks.
    I change the function do discover publication service ressources to automatic.
    I tried to change the name of one computer (both name in system folder and network name in internet folder)
    I set SMB1 to automatic (both client and server)
    I tried to restart network connection
    Nothing works.

    Can you help me, please, since I cannot send any data from my development machine to my real-time machines.

    Thank you in advance

    JPPa320
    Same problem here. I have tried all suggestions to no avail. Anyone else provide some help?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    21 Jun 2018 #10

    kennyschrub814 said: View Post
    I have the same problem today. And what I did is reinstalling the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the Network Adapter Property. And its solved now.

    Hope that it helps you.
    Did not work for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello, On the 9th. of May my machine updated to 17134.48 which has given me problems. My Task View previously worked as expected showing me what programmes I had running. Now after this update it also shows other things, for example it shows...
Solved Update History missing in Builds 17134.1 and 17134.5 in Windows Updates and Activation
After updating to 17134.1 and .5 my update History was cleared and new updates would not show in History. I got these Builds from the Insider RP ring. I have now left the Insider program, removed the .5 update and my 3 systems are now on Build...
I have three Win10 machines in the same workgroup, all with shared folders that the other machines can access. Previously this has been working fine. Two of the machines have just been updated with the fall creators update. What I now find is: ...
A friend has a file sharing on with their box so they can play their media files on their WDTV. It's worked fine for years with 7 and 10 but in the last half year it seems to be turning off randomly although still on when i go to Advanced Sharing...
(I wish illustrated better, but I hope these are sufficient.) I have three networked computers, named Dell-NB, Dell-380, Dell-660s. All three were upgraded to W10 from W7. None used a HomeGroup as W7 nor do they now as W10. All indicate “This...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24.
Find Us