Windows 10: Home network issue - one pc cannot be accessed from all others

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    1 Week Ago #21

    I ran PowerShell as Administrator and it succeeded.
    Still only a PC started first is getting shares listed under "Network"
    I wonder what I did wrong?
    Your probably didn't do anything wrong ... Windows is just being a PITA and I'm not sure why, right now.

    Edit: You did restart PC after running the commands successfully ?
    Last edited by Eagle51; 1 Week Ago at 19:00.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 41
    W10 primary, W7/W8.1 secondary
    Thread Starter
       1 Week Ago #22

    Yes, more than once.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    1 Week Ago #23

    I figured you did

    If you want, you can run the following on ALL Win10 PC's and you can compare their SMB settings. It makes NO changes and is for information purposes only. It creates a PCNAME-SMB-CHECK.txt on your desktop. It can be a bit hard to decipher, so if you need/want help with the output, then zip up all 3 txt files and attach them to your post.

    Open/Run PowerShell as Administrator and copy/paste the following, making sure to hit enter after the last line.

    $(
    "$(get-date -format g)"
    "$($env:computername)"
    get-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename SMB1Protocol
    get-smbserverconfiguration | select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol
    sc.exe query mrxsmb10
    sc.exe qc mrxsmb10
    sc.exe query mrxsmb20
    sc.exe qc mrxsmb20
    sc.exe query browser
    sc.exe qc browser
    Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters -Name SMB1,SMB2
    Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation -Name DependOnService
    ) > "$($env:userprofile)\Desktop\$($env:computername)-SMB-CHECK.txt"
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 41
    W10 primary, W7/W8.1 secondary
    Thread Starter
       1 Week Ago #24

    Eagle51,

    As far as networking is concerned, present situation with W10 v.1709 reminds me of Windows 95 days. Since Windows 2000, I have had hardly any home networking problem. I temporarily switched the OSes for all networked PCs to W8.1, and sure enough the good old day came back again: Network shares are listed on every PC on the network, which I have gotten used to.

    Allow me to back track on this thread: What do the following do or is supposed to do? You do not have to get too deep into it, which may be beyond my ability to comprehend.

    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto
    sc.exe config browser start= auto
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #25

    Those commands enable SMBv1 and SMBv2 for both Server/Client and are taken from this link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and

    Note: They assume that SMBv1 is installed ... if it's not then it will throw errors.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 41
    W10 primary, W7/W8.1 secondary
    Thread Starter
       1 Week Ago #26

    Eagle51 said: View Post
    Those commands enable SMBv1 and SMBv2 for both Server/Client and are taken from this link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and

    Note: They assume that SMBv1 is installed ... if it's not then it will throw errors.
    That is a lot of reading for me. It appears MS started changes about SMB even with W7. As I stated previously on this thread that I do not see any problem if W8.1 is running on networked PCs. Could you summarize why the problem is if the OS is W10v.1709? Is it simply because SMBv1 is not installed by default on W10v1709? Isn't it that I installed it manually by following your suggestion?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #27

    If it's of any help, I've had ongoing problems with my network since the early days of Windows 10. It would appear that it's my own doing though. All PCs in the house are set to 'use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers' in the Network and Sharing' centre. There are 10x Windows 10 machines all running 1709 build 16299.214, plus 1x Windows 7 SP2.

    That's my personal network layout, but my point is that i had disabled two services based on the fact that i don't use the Homegroup feature. These are: HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider. Once i re-enabled these and restarted all the PCs i could once again access all shares from all W10 PCs. The only remaing issue was the W7 machine. For this one i had to enter user details in the Credentials Manager Control Panel applet. This MAY be required for any machine not using a common username and/or password.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 41
    W10 primary, W7/W8.1 secondary
    Thread Starter
       1 Week Ago #28

    enigma101 said: View Post
    If it's of any help, I've had ongoing problems with my network since the early days of Windows 10. It would appear that it's my own doing though. All PCs in the house are set to 'use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers' in the Network and Sharing' centre. There are 10x Windows 10 machines all running 1709 build 16299.214, plus 1x Windows 7 SP2.

    That's my personal network layout, but my point is that i had disabled two services based on the fact that i don't use the Homegroup feature. These are: HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider. Once i re-enabled these and restarted all the PCs i could once again access all shares from all W10 PCs. The only remaing issue was the W7 machine. For this one i had to enter user details in the Credentials Manager Control Panel applet. This MAY be required for any machine not using a common username and/or password.
    I have never used HomeGroup either. What I am doing to not use the HomeGroup is to select at Advanced Sharing/HomeGroup connection, "Use user accounts and passwords to . . . " I never pay attention to the "two services" you mentioned. Or should I?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    1 Week Ago #29

    Is it simply because SMBv1 is not installed by default on W10v1709? Isn't it that I installed it manually by following your suggestion?
    Yes, see this link for more info on Win10 1709 and SMBv1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

    Note: HomeGroups has been deprecated by MS and has already been removed in the Insider Preview starting with 17063. If you don't use HomeGroups you can disable those two services HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider. I have them disable and have no issues with networking sharing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 307
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       1 Week Ago #30

    Eagle51 said: View Post
    Yes, see this link for more info on Win10 1709 and SMBv1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

    Note: HomeGroups has been deprecated by MS and has already been removed in the Insider Preview starting with 17063. If you don't use HomeGroups you can disable those two services HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider. I have them disable and have no issues with networking sharing.
    Well, this is crazy I just turned on HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider and Joy all 3 computers are seeing each other again. MS is is killing me trying to keep a P2P network up and running.

    So just in the last 2 week, we had to install SMBv1 that got me working until I installed 8258 so yesterday and today I struggled again did everything in this thread on all computer and couldn't get one to see the other 2 no matter what I did. I even spent some time on my Router and insured my IP's were Static ran an updated firmware.
    This evening I see this HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider, I go into services and started them set them to start automatically. i have never used home group just continued my P2P, Boom all three are seeing all three the 4th my wife's HP all in one on 8.1 has always been available on all computer?? when its turned on.

    So I guess in a couple of days MS will screw something else for us.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Iíve spent weeks trying to solve this and itís driving me insane. Please help if you can. I have a home network with 4 machines, all running Windows10. All installations are about 2 months old, and the problem only started after the recent Windows...
That is to say, it can't be accessed by some others on network! Dell XPS 15 9560 ~ Windows 10 Home (The others are all Windows 10 Pro) The XPS is my "working" laptop, on which I surf/email/edit videos/etc-etc. The others merely...
Home Network Issue in Network and Sharing
I have 4 computers set up to Network in my House and Garage. They are named: WIN7 WIN8 WIN10-64 Shuttle-SZ77R5 They all run Windows 10, 64 bit, except for WIN7 that is 32 bit. When all 4 are on and I look at my Network I see only 3 Computers...
Network issue on Win 10 Home version in Network and Sharing
We have 5 HP all in one Desktops all purchased about 8 months ago, the desktop I use is causing problems with networking, all the desktops run on the same network, my desktop is unable to see networks via the file explorer in the "This PC" Section...
On my network I have a desktop and a laptop computer. In the navigation pane of file explorer my desktop computer shows not only my c drive and the users folder but also a folder showing my first name and a folder showing my full name. If I use my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08.
Find Us