Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP


  1. Posts : 4
    Win 8.1
       #1

    Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP


    Hi all, I'm frustrated with having to ask this here as I consider myself really tech-savvy and my Google-fu is pretty good, but I just can't solve it.

    I have a couple of Windows 10 Home/Enterprise PCs and I've got an 8TB WD Easystore formatted as exFat (because it has large video files and may be accessed by my Linux or Mac boxes directly at some point). I've been trying to share the files via SMB or SFTP, mainly the latter because of issues with Kodi and other apps accessing SMB shares well.

    For SFTP, I've tried FileZilla Server and zFTPServer and everything seems good in the apps, and I've assigned write permissions within their admin interfaces, but trying to copy files up from the clients I ALWAYS get a write error as if access is denied. I would think the FTP servers are running as system accounts and would have full access as needed, and in this setup there is no Permissions option in Windows, just Sharing and Advanced Sharing (presumably due to the exFAT format?).

    Can anyone tell me how you can share read/write access to an external exFAT USB drive via SMB, Samba, or SFTP in Windows 10?

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,697
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    If a external drive is connected via USB, there is no way to send files to FTP, unless you have mapped it to a Virtual drive on the machine you have it connected to.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4
    Win 8.1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    bro67 said:
    If a external drive is connected via USB, there is no way to send files to FTP, unless you have mapped it to a Virtual drive on the machine you have it connected to.
    Thanks. Will Samba work or is it always the same underlying issue with USB?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 809
    Win10
       #4

    burntoc said:
    I would think the FTP servers are running as system accounts and would have full access as needed, and in this setup there is no Permissions option in Windows, just Sharing and Advanced Sharing (presumably due to the exFAT format?).
    I wouldn't be so sure that the FTP server is running as System. You can look at Task Manager->Details to see the actual username the server is running under.

    burntoc said:
    Can anyone tell me how you can share read/write access to an external exFAT USB drive via SMB, Samba, or SFTP in Windows 10?
    Sharing a USB drive via SMB is no different than sharing any other drive or folder in Windows.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4
    Win 8.1
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Regardless of the filesystem, I take it?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 809
    Win10
       #6

    Sure.

    Help, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP-image.pngHelp, error trying to write to external USB via FTP/SFTP-image.png
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,697
    Mac OS Catalina
       #7

    burntoc said:
    Thanks. Will Samba work or is it always the same underlying issue with USB?
    SAMBA is why we can share folders and files. You also need to change that drive to FAT32, not Exfat.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    Win 8.1
    Thread Starter
       #8

    So I was able to confirm that SMB works fine - even with it being exFAT. The issue was (best I can tell) with Win10 deprecating SMB v1 and Kodi not supporting SMB v2 or v3 well (or v1 as of late for that matter). I installed the Kodi Leia alpha and it is working fine.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 8,697
    Mac OS Catalina
       #9

    burntoc said:
    So I was able to confirm that SMB works fine - even with it being exFAT. The issue was (best I can tell) with Win10 deprecating SMB v1 and Kodi not supporting SMB v2 or v3 well (or v1 as of late for that matter). I installed the Kodi Leia alpha and it is working fine.
    If you cannot use SMBv2/3, then it is a issue of that program. SMBv1 on all Operating systems was retired, because it had long ongoing security risks. Kodi can only use what the OS has available for it, not the other way around.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums