slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 18
    windows 10
       #1

    slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless


    i have a AC600 wifi adapter and a ASUS rt-ac1200g+ router, we pay for 100mbps down.
    i can hit 30mbps on the wifi adapter but when i try ethernet it is locked at 10mbps at full duplex which is really weird.
    i have tried cat5e/6/7 but all does the same.
    i have tried in cmd "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" but only boosted my speed by 2mbps
    it does this for all the computers in the house.
    my motherbaord says it has gigabit internet, i have checked my bios for settings and installed the latest drivers for both router and lan and in stumped, and help is greatly appreciated!
    thanks ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless-ethernet.png   slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless-wifi.png  
      My Computer

  2. EdTittel's Avatar
    Posts : 4,130
    Windows 10
       #2

    Can you borrow a GbE USB Ethernet dongle, or try a different machine, on your wired connection? If that stays at 10 MB, too, it's something on the upstream side. If it speeds up it's on your PC. Then we can chase things down in the right direction.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 18
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Yes it is the same on all other pcs in the house
      My Computer

  4. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,558
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #4

    Hi there

    As a test to see if you are getting anything like the speed you are paying for take your phone and stand near your router. Ensure the 5GHZ band is enabled and do the speed test on your phone -- on the 5GHZ band even on Wireless you should get near the speed you are paying for.

    If not then you've got a problem and you need to call in the Engineers from the ISP to test it.

    I can understand one PC not giving decent speeds - you could have ethernet set to a "Glacial Speed" / "Snail Special" of 10 M/bs instead of 100 or 1 Gb/s but all of them ??? --something wrong there.

    Can you also test your router on somebody else's installation.

    If that fails -- if you have 4G create an access point with your phone and then test the router (you'll have to do it via wifi but that will give you an indication of whether the router has broken or the ISP cable is not supplying your speed properly.


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by Barman58; 21 Jan 2018 at 07:50.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 38,542
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    Depending on the age of the property and how the wired internet was configured (especially with retrofits) there could be problems with splitters behind the drywalls.
    Over years the splitters go bad and everything downstream to the splitters is suboptimal.
    Not knowing the layout of the wiring and the splitters each wall jack needs to be checked.
    At one time the cable company cut small holes in the dry wall and used fiberoptic scopes to confirm the location before making definitive holes to find and replace the malfunctioning splitters.
    This is applicable only if you have faster wireless than wired and can confirm that you are not getting wireless signal from outside of the house.
      My Computer

  6. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,109
    windows 10
       #6

    If you have full duplex set that will cause it as it sends and receives at the same time most home routers and connection can't cope so you get lots of resends slowing it down
      My Computer

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,558
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #7

    Samuria said:
    If you have full duplex set that will cause it as it sends and receives at the same time most home routers and connection can't cope so you get lots of resends slowing it down
    Hi there

    These days routers supplied by ISP's for > 50 Mb/s will surely be capable of full rated speed - many will be capable of up to 10 Gb/s even if ISP not delivering that speed.

    If router is really old and was supplied by you (the OP) then "all bets are off" but that router should be more than capable of 100 Mb/s. (Megabits / sec to avoid confusion)

    @zbook -- easy test -- simply take computer to router and test with short piece of LAN cable -- that avoids / eliminates errors from old wiring. !!!!

    If laptop doesn't have LAN connector use USN-->lan connector - those are very cheap and reliable.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 38,542
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #8

    @jimbo45 Sometimes running long wiring around the home is unattractive. So there could be a room where there is no internet access and wireless is weak. For these rooms if there is a bad splitter it can be found and replaced. If exposed wiring is not a problem then its an easier solution.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 18
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    As a test to see if you are getting anything like the speed you are paying for take your phone and stand near your router. Ensure the 5GHZ band is enabled and do the speed test on your phone -- on the 5GHZ band even on Wireless you should get near the speed you are paying for.

    If not then you've got a problem and you need to call in the Engineers from the ISP to test it.

    I can understand one PC not giving decent speeds - you could have ethernet set to a "Glacial Speed" / "Snail Special" of 10 M/bs instead of 100 or 1 Gb/s but all of them ??? --something wrong there.

    Can you also test your router on somebody else's installation.

    If that fails -- if you have 4G create an access point with your phone and then test the router (you'll have to do it via wifi but that will give you an indication of whether the router has broken or the ISP cable is not supplying your speed properly.

    If you are in the U.K and on B.T (Bovine Technology) it's probably that Open Reach company that does this work --good luck in speaking to those guys though !!! probably a 4 hour wait before some un understandable person from the other side of the planet tells you your Internet is just OK !!!.

    I know - I've been there before -- now when I'm on contact in the UK I use anybody OTHER than B.T !!!! SKY cable is OK as is Talk Talk -- depends on where you are though. as to whether service is available.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    i got 35mbps down on my phone directly infornt of router but 50mbps on my pc upstairs but still only 15 on ethernet. i have te sted this on 4 different pc and all cant break 10mbps on ethernet. 2 pcs 2 laptops. we are with virgin which as far as i can tell has less down time but alwasy S**t
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 18
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    zbook said:
    @jimbo45 Sometimes running long wiring around the home is unattractive. So there could be a room where there is no internet access and wireless is weak. For these rooms if there is a bad splitter it can be found and replaced. If exposed wiring is not a problem then its an easier solution.
    yeah i dont care atm i have 3 30 meter cables draped around the house
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:26.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums