Set up access to home files and tunnel traffic remotely

  1.    15 Jan 2018 #1

    Set up access to home files and tunnel traffic remotely


    Hi all,

    Looking for a way to achieve 2 things, essentially remote into my home network from outside (e.g., public cafe) and have access to all my home network shares + tunnel all my traffic through the home network

    I currently have an ISP-provided router at home (that I cannot flash custom firmware onto) and a Windows 10 Desktop computer

    What is your recommended way of achieving something like this with good network security and relatively easy setup?

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Jan 2018 #2

    You can use rdp or team viewer to do it you will need to forward ports on the router to get in
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Jan 2018 #3

    LeoBloom said: View Post
    Hi all,

    Looking for a way to achieve 2 things, essentially remote into my home network from outside (e.g., public cafe) and have access to all my home network shares + tunnel all my traffic through the home network

    I currently have an ISP-provided router at home (that I cannot flash custom firmware onto) and a Windows 10 Desktop computer

    What is your recommended way of achieving something like this with good network security and relatively easy setup?

    Thanks

    Hi there

    a bit too complex to post answer here without writing PAGES

    but have a look at Putty and Tunnelling

    How to Configure an SSH Tunnel on PuTTY - The Devolutions Blog

    You'll also need some way of knowing what your home IP address is (as seen by the external Internet).

    If your IP address doesn't change much after you've logged on from home (even with dynamic IP addresses) most don't change for the lifetime of the logon then just use that one -- otherwise you need some sort of program which runs in the background every so often --say once in 30 mins or so - which issues command ipconfig and emails the answer out to your phone or whatever

    Don't bother with paid things like teamviewer - a simple script should be able to get your IP address and a mailto command will do the rest.

    Router will be able to port forward --pretty standard so no need for flashing etc.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    15 Jan 2018 #4

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    If your IP address doesn't change much after you've logged on from home (even with dynamic IP addresses) most don't change for the lifetime of the logon
    I use dyndns - it is free but there are plenty of others - noip etc which will also deal with non-static IP addresses and forward your connections to your current IP.

    Having said that my external ip has never once in the last 20 years changed except when I moved house. Not once. Not even if I tried to change it by rebooting router etc. This has been the same in several different countries. Static IP is (at least in EU/MENA) a sham - IP addresses are all pretty much fixed once you get them - you may pay extra for the "Static IP" tag on your bill but the result is the same either way. It just doesn't change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Jan 2018 #5

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    a bit too complex to post answer here without writing PAGES

    but have a look at Putty and Tunnelling

    How to Configure an SSH Tunnel on PuTTY - The Devolutions Blog

    You'll also need some way of knowing what your home IP address is (as seen by the external Internet).

    If your IP address doesn't change much after you've logged on from home (even with dynamic IP addresses) most don't change for the lifetime of the logon then just use that one -- otherwise you need some sort of program which runs in the background every so often --say once in 30 mins or so - which issues command ipconfig and emails the answer out to your phone or whatever

    Don't bother with paid things like teamviewer - a simple script should be able to get your IP address and a mailto command will do the rest.

    Router will be able to port forward --pretty standard so no need for flashing etc.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks for suggestions - a couple of questions
    • Is it safe to configure an SSH server on a Windows machine (as opposed to directly on a router)
    • Is it possible to configure a client to connect via a different port (and forward to the correct port within the router) to avoid port scanners?
    • Will I be able to map a network drive (as opposed to only having access to my files via a command line interface)
    • From a security perspective, is SSH as secure as an OpenVPN solution
    • Not concerned regarding dynamic IP -- already set up a DynDNS service


    Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Jan 2018 #6

    I never bothered changing ports. They are secure as I require a password and haven't been subject to any DDOS/port scanning attacks as no-one (apart from tenforums) knows my IP address.

    I forward 22 for SSH, 5389 for teamviewer and 9091 for my Transmission server and that is all.

    As for security, I know nothing about it really so take my comments with a pinch of salt. WikiLeaks says SSH isn't secure (Secure Shell - Wikipedia) but I don't know enough to worry about it. I set up SSH as described here Secure Shell - ArchWiki to make it as safe as I reasonably could. I only connect to Linux via SSH.

    According to here Windows since can now act as SSH server but I've not tried it and have no idea how it works or if it is secure so I don't. powershell - Does Windows 10 have a built-in SSH server? - Super User

    Mapping a network drive over internet was always characterized as very unsafe and you should use a VPN instead. Alternatively you can use (as I do because it is easier) TeamViewer (or WebEx or whatever) rather than run separate VPN. I tried OpenVPN but it was just easier to use TeamViewer. All depends what you want to do I guess.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi, I want to access my pc from all of my home network. My OS is - Windows 10 Home edition. So I have internet connection through lan cable (cat 6) which connects to my D-Link LAN and WiFi router (call it Main router). I select PPPoE in the...
I've never had a problem but all of a sudden my laptop cannot access my network to see other computers and printers through Wi-Fi. Ethernet connection sees the other computers. Internet works fine. It also shows the laptop when I pull up the...
I am experiencing a very weird BOSD of "attempted_execute_of_noexecute_memory". It happens all the time, when I am accessing a port that I tunneled to a remote server. So for example, I open the tunnel which works fine, and then access it via...
How to access files made in WSL home\user folder from windows?
I have retired a second computer and have hooked it via Ethernet to a remote location on my home. I can see the files on the remote computer and from the remote computer to the main. When I try drag/drop to get files from the main to remote, I get...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:47.
Find Us