Windows 10: Fall Creators Update Butchered MS Office 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 V 1709 64 bit
       14 Dec 2017 #11

    To fix Outlook, Word and Excel Errors in MS Office 2007 after fall creators 1709 upgrade, only deinstallation and reinstallation of MS office under Win 10-1709 solved it in 2 cases. Mail accounts and datafiles of Outlook stayed intact after reinstalltion.
    Just have set up an elderly PC from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro 1709 followed by office 2007 enterprise- no problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Dec 2017 #12

    rreinhardklein said: View Post
    To fix Outlook, Word and Excel Errors in MS Office 2007 after fall creators 1709 upgrade, only deinstallation and reinstallation of MS office solved it in up to now 2 cases. Mail accounts and datafiles of Outlook stay intact after reinstalltion.
    That was one of the many things I tried to no avail! Which was why I eventually just upgraded to Office 2016, over the top of O 2007, THEN uninstalled O 2007. (See my post #10 above) All is now good and O 2016 is a definite improvement.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 16
    Windows 7Pro; Windows 10Pro
       19 Feb 2018 #13

    I may find myself in the same situation you encountered. May I ask how you like Outlook 2016? I'm a home user and not keen on the new features of Outlook 2016.

    I came across a mention of OE Classic, a pop mail client performing much like the old Outlook Express Mail Client MS killed off some years back. I would like to have a look but leery of messing up my current Outlook 2007 installation.

    Any comments regarding your opinion of Outlook 2016 in comparison to Outlook 2007 would be most appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 V 1709 64 bit
       19 Feb 2018 #14

    I recommend to my mostly elderly users to stay on their Word/Powerpoint/Excel 2007/2010 for the time beeing because the other more recent versions cost a lot more, with no advantages for home users. For e-Mail I recommend free Mozilla Thunderbird.
    No Question- Business / Professional users who have to exchange all kinds of docs- should go to the newest MS Office versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Feb 2018 #15

    maryeleek said: View Post
    I may find myself in the same situation you encountered. May I ask how you like Outlook 2016? I'm a home user and not keen on the new features of Outlook 2016.
    Any comments regarding your opinion of Outlook 2016 in comparison to Outlook 2007 would be most appreciated.
    Having taken the time to get used to Office 2016 (including Outlook) about the only thing I don't like is the choice of colours (Office Themes). I'm sure there are 3rd party customisation options available were I to look but I'm not that bothered which should tell you something

    I don't use all the features by any means (remember the 80/20 "rule") in fact I only ever use Word, Excel and Outlook.

    Many of the new features are designed to be configurable (File > Options) and IMO it's essential to take the time to go through those options. There is loads of help out there.

    I possibly preferred the Calendar setup in Outlook 2007 and in particular, one can display but not edit a Google Calendar in Outlook 2016 but I adapted to that in a very short time and now actually prefer the way I do things.

    That any help?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Feb 2018 #16

    rreinhardklein said: View Post
    I recommend to my mostly elderly users to stay on their Word/Powerpoint/Excel 2007/2010 for the time beeing because the other more recent versions cost a lot more, with no advantages for home users. For e-Mail I recommend free Mozilla Thunderbird.
    No Question- Business / Professional users who have to exchange all kinds of docs- should go to the newest MS Office versions.
    Partly agree but I find Outlook 2016 to be superior to Thunderbird and any other 3rd party email clients I tried which were many and various - I forget now which they were, even.

    Regarding cost, I bought 2 "Click-to-run" Office 2016 installations for less than GBP10 each. I thought that was good VFM
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 160
    Windows 10 (2), Win 8.1 (1), Win 7 (1)
    Thread Starter
       19 Feb 2018 #17

    I tend to agree with rreinhardklein. That is exactly my set up (Office 2010 and Thunderbird for an e-mail client). The Office 2007 installation I have is on an old system that is basically just being used as a test bed. However at some point the older Office products will no longer be supported and if Microsoft comes out with a newer file format in future Office versions which would not be compatible with the older Office versions, you are out of luck.
    Regarding cost, it depends on whether you are ok with the subscription version of Office, how many computers you wish to install Office on, and how many of the Office programs you need.
    1. Office 365 Home ($100/yr) contains all Office products and allows you to install Office on up to 5 computers.
    2. Office 365 Personal ($70/yr) also contains all Office products but only allows installation on 1 computer.
    3. Office Home and Student 2016 (a flat fee of $150) contains only the basic Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote) and also only allows installation on 1 computer.
    4. You could possibly also get Office 365 Business ($8.25/mo annual commitment) which contains the basic Office products plus Outlook and Access if you need Outlook.

    Office 365 versions are a continually feature updated product similar what is happening with Windows 10 while the Home and Student version only gets fixes.

    So if you only need the basic Office programs on one computer, you intend on holding on to it for two years or more, and don't need the latest and greatest features, Home and Student would be the cheapest way to go otherwise you would have to determine what is the best value for your situation.

    JohnD
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    20 Feb 2018 #18

    johnpd said: View Post
    Regarding cost, it depends on whether you are ok with the subscription version of Office, how many computers you wish to install Office on, and how many of the Office programs you need.
    1. Office 365 Home ($100/yr) contains all Office products and allows you to install Office on up to 5 computers.
    2. Office 365 Personal ($70/yr) also contains all Office products but only allows installation on 1 computer.
    3. Office Home and Student 2016 (a flat fee of $150) contains only the basic Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote) and also only allows installation on 1 computer.
    4. You could possibly also get Office 365 Business ($8.25/mo annual commitment) which contains the basic Office products plus Outlook and Access if you need Outlook.
    JohnD
    @johnpd

    With respect, your figures are way out - read what I said above (#16) "Regarding cost, I bought 2 "Click-to-run" Office 2016 installations for less than GBP10 each." These were sold on Amazon, are full Office Professional Plus 2016 suites and authenticated on MS servers so not "pirates". Also,there are no ongoing costs.
    Last edited by VBF; 20 Feb 2018 at 10:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    20 Feb 2018 #19

    Thank all of you! I will do an install and reinstall of my home and office 2007 to see how that works. I really appreciate your time and response.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 470
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       20 Feb 2018 #20

    VBF;1301354

    With respect, your figures are way out - read what I said above (#16) [I said:
    "Regarding cost, I bought 2 "Click-to-run" Office 2016 installations for less than GBP10 each." [/I]These were sold on Amazon, are full Office Professional Plus 2016 suites and authenticated on MS servers so not "pirates". Also,there are no ongoing costs.
    • John's figures are correct.
    • I take it you mean "Amazon Marketplace" not "Amazon". If not, please let us have the link to the product page.
    • Activation is not proof of authenticity. If, just for example, these were part of a volume licence or an MSDN licence, their real nature might not become apparent for some time.


    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Hello, today the automatic update performed Cumulative update 1703 and MS Office 2007 update, the KB numbers follow KB4038788 KB4038806 KB3213649 KB3213646 KB3114428 KB3213642 KB4011086
    Fall Creators Update in General Support
    Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not.
    Solved Oct 17 Creators Fall update in Installation and Upgrade
    Why is the Fall Creators update coming on Sunday instead of Tuesday? I still haven't received the April Creators update. Will Fall update skip the April update? Just curious.
    Fall Creators Update in General Support
    Anyone know what changes or improvements will be in the fall update?
    Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.
    Find Us