MS Office 2007 strange language after today's office 2007 update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Posts : 16,931
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Bruno,

I don't think Microsoft is at all bothered about us Office 2007 users so they might not look at this update again before Tuesday 10th October 2017.

I can understand that you are going to hold off repeating the update until you have made a system image.

The structure of this update was unique. I download all my Office updates directly from the Microsoft update catalog and have never before had to install both an own language component and a "none" component - I always recheck for updates straight after installation so I was able to see straightaway that the update had been incomplete in some way. I suppose that, if an update's installation process is ever going to contain mistakes, it would be when a unique structure had to be coped with.

Denis
      My Computer

2. Posts : 16,931

Roman,

How are you getting on with this?

Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 53
    windows 10

Hi Try3, so far I am ignoring the problem. I mostly know what the Swedish (?) labels mean because I remember what they said before the update Next week I am switching to new PC anyway (on which I shall install Office 2010 Pro with a virgin license), so one of the alternatives is to forget the whole thing. Wonder whether this issue was nothing but a smart MS move to force Office 2007 users to upgrade?
      My Computer

4. Posts : 2
    Windows7

brunig said:
    I forgot to say that the command must be executed from the office folder, for me it's
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12"
    Hello Bruno, I have the same problem with my Outlook 2007 but I did not get how you worked it out.

Diego
      My Computer

5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10

@Try3, my intention was exactly that - make a system image before the updates get applied again, so at the moment I've disabled windows update, this evening I will install the 2 cabs and then enable Windows update and see what happens.

@Diego : the steps were :
    1) uninstall the updates named KB4011086 : you have to go into Control panel - Programs and features - View installed updates - select one at a time the rows containing KB4011086 and then uninstall them (there should be 2 rows);
    2) open a dos prompt and then (outlook must be closed before) :
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12"
    outlook.exe /ResetFolderNames
      My Computer

6. Posts : 2
    Windows7

brunig said:
    @Try3, my intention was exactly that - make a system image before the updates get applied again, so at the moment I've disabled windows update, this evening I will install the 2 cabs and then enable Windows update and see what happens.

@Diego : the steps were :
    1) uninstall the updates named KB4011086 : you have to go into Control panel - Programs and features - View installed updates - select one at a time the rows containing KB4011086 and then uninstall them (there should be 2 rows);
    2) open a dos prompt and then (outlook must be closed before) :
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12"
    outlook.exe /ResetFolderNames

Thanks Bruno.
    Just removing the update and rebooting was enough to rollback at the normal status of my Outlook.
    Thank you
      My Computer

7. Posts : 53
    windows 10

Update uninstal failed :-(

I decided to uninstall the update but the error (translated) appeared:
    "There was error using transformation. Please check the validity of the transformation paths"
    LOL, I am bound to speak Swedish for the rest of my life.

EDIT: After the error I restarted PC and tried to uninstall the first of the two KB4011086 updates again. Interestingly, the first update immediately disappeared after this second attempt. Then I tried to remove the second KB4011086 update, and the error appeared again. I restarted PC and tried again - for no avail. Total 3 times. The "transformation" error did not disappear and the stubborn KB4011086 update kept sitting among other update entries.
    However, when I actually tried to launch Outlook after all those attempts and restarts, It again talked my language. So the process was actually useful, though there were obfuscating moments when the "invalid transformation paths" errors popped up.
    Last edited by Roman Krejci; 18 Sep 2017 at 08:40.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 16,931

Just for the benefit of anybody else looking into this problem,
    1 It was apparently fixed by KB4011110 [19th September 2017]
    2 A manual fix had already been identified by Slipstick [Diane Poremsky]
    3 Office support produced a list of the languages affected & which dummy language each was afflicted with - Outlook 2007 displays wrong languages

Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 31 Oct 2017 at 05:48.
      My Computer