Windows 10: Suggestions for new word processor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 May 2017 #1

    Suggestions for new word processor


    I've been using Open Office on both my laptop where it runs perfectly and on my desktop where very common names such Haden, Cassidy etc. are red lined (well I see Haden got the old red line here too). Anyway, when I put a file with no red lining on my flash drive (from laptop) and open it on my desktop the red lines are there. Even if I click add to dictionary and reopen the file it's still red lined. I've also tried OfficeLibre (by the same company), and I encounter the same problem. I'm sick and tired of dealing w/this annoying problem and would like to get some recommendations for a good word dependable word processor (a free one if possible). I've inquired re this issue on the O.O. forum and did not receive an answer that solved my problem. I know there are very knowledgeable folks here and hoped someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,265
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       21 May 2017 #2

    The red lines for spell checking and the green lines for grammar checking do not travel with the file, are only showing in whatever program the file is opened in. If there is no spell checking in a program the red line won't show.

    As for a replacement free program I use LibreOffice.org, is very compatible with Microsoft Office applications except has no built-in E-Mail Client, nothing compatible with Outlook. OpenOffice and LibreOffice both have origins in Star Office but split some time ago. OO is part of Apache now.

    As far as common names, they may not be in the dictionary/s used in creating the program, my name is not in any dictionary so it always shows as misspelled. I haven't had any issue adding it to the word processor's dictionary but I have to do it on each computer with an installed spell checking program.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 3,326
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       21 May 2017 #3

    You need to add a custom dictionary, not sure, if this one will work:

    English Names Dictionary en_US | Apache OpenOffice Extensions
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    21 May 2017 #4

    Berton said: View Post
    The red lines for spell checking and the green lines for grammar checking do not travel with the file, are only showing in whatever program the file is opened in. If there is no spell checking in a program the red line won't show.

    As for a replacement free program I use LibreOffice.org, is very compatible with Microsoft Office applications except has no built-in E-Mail Client, nothing compatible with Outlook. OpenOffice and LibreOffice both have origins in Star Office but split some time ago. OO is part of Apache now.

    As far as common names, they may not be in the dictionary/s used in creating the program, my name is not in any dictionary so it always shows as misspelled. I haven't had any issue adding it to the word processor's dictionary but I have to do it on each computer with an installed spell checking program.
    I can tick "add to dictionary", save and the red lines are still there. I've also used LibreOffice and it does the same thing. I'm using the MS Wordpad and it works very well, but doesn't have enough features. I hate to put out $100 a year for "leasing" MS Word. I saw it someplace online for $70 but I'm a little nervous re downloading something from an unknown website. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your response and hope to hear from you when you have the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 3,326
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       21 May 2017 #5

    You could try online docs, like Microsoft Word Online or Google Docs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_05212017_204715.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 May 2017 #6

    Fred22 said: View Post
    I can tick "add to dictionary", save and the red lines are still there. I've also used LibreOffice and it does the same thing. I'm using the MS Wordpad and it works very well, but doesn't have enough features. I hate to put out $100 a year for "leasing" MS Word. I saw it someplace online for $70 but I'm a little nervous re downloading something from an unknown website. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your response and hope to hear from you when you have the time.
    You get so much more than Word when leasing Office 365 - you get Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook (proper version) + 1TB one drive space per licenced user (only slightly more expensive to buy a 5 user licence than a 1 user licence). You could give the spare licences to family/friends or share cost of Office 365.

    In the end, as my dear old Gran used to say 'you only get what you pay for'.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 May 2017 #7

    1) I use LibreOffice (portable), and the first thing(s) I do after "install" is configure the autocorrect(!) options and the general options. That gets rid of the red squiggly underlines. Never used any dictionary.

    2) Major Geeks dot com just offered Jarte version 6.0 word processor. One can download from Major Geeks or from the linked author. The software hype sounds promising, although I have yet to use it.

    EDIT: My mistake: it's Portable Apps dot com, not Major Geeks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 May 2017 #8

    cereberus said: View Post
    You get so much more than Word when leasing Office 365 - you get Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook (proper version) + 1TB one drive space per licenced user (only slightly more expensive to buy a 5 user licence than a 1 user licence). You could give the spare licences to family/friends or share cost of Office 365.

    In the end, as my dear old Gran used to say 'you only get what you pay for'.
    Thanks for your reply but all I need is a word processor.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    22 May 2017 #9

    pyramid10 said: View Post
    1) I use LibreOffice (portable), and the first thing(s) I do after "install" is configure the autocorrect(!) options and the general options. That gets rid of the red squiggly underlines. Never used any dictionary.

    2) Major Geeks dot com just offered Jarte version 6.0 word processor. One can download from Major Geeks or from the linked author. The software hype sounds promising, although I have yet to use it.

    EDIT: My mistake: it's Portable Apps dot com, not Major Geeks.
    Sounds very interesting. Tell me how to configure autocorrect and I'll give it a shot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,265
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       22 May 2017 #10

    Fred22 said: View Post
    Thanks for your reply but all I need is a word processor.
    Most program installations will allow a Custom install where one can leave out what is not needed, put it on a different partition, etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Just got back my son's two month since purchase of ACER Laptop after needing a new hard drive. As my handicapped son will get confused from the any Word Program even if a trial version or just an advertisng shell. I deleted the MS Word Program...
Word 2016 is not using the up to date word document. When I go to save after opening up a brand new word doc. It tells me it will be updated to the latest word doc. I am using Office 2016 Pro on Windows 10 64bit HP laptop. Any advice would be...
Solved Processor choice?? in Drivers and Hardware
I'm torn between the following: 1. AMD A10-6800K 2. Intel I3-4150 The Intel is a better chip overall but would it be worth the effort to replace the motherboard to get the Intel?? TIA Jeff
I just installed the Word Preview app from the store - it's fairly usable, but... when you open an existing docx file, it claims it is in an old file format, offers to save a copy in the newer format, or loads the file read-only. So it saves a copy...
Solved Thinking to buy new processor in Drivers and Hardware
Hello, I don't know much about processors and I wanna know, how to find processor that will fit and work on my PC. Thanks.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.
Find Us