2 Onenote windows at once?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Posts : 27,162
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

DeaconFrost said:
    I know there's a free version...it's been bundled with Windows for a while now, at least back to 8.1. Someone said earlier they weren't able to get the free version to be opened twice, so that may be a limitation of the free version (Post #5).
    I'm not talking about the Universal app, I mean the desktop version. It's exactly the same one as, the one you get with Office. I've been using it since Windows 7.(without having Office)
      My Computers

2. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64

So does the free downloaded version allow opening of multiple Windows?
      My Computer

3. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro

There are two free versions. One is a desktop app, one is a Universal app. You get the universal app through the Windows Store. You get the Free desktop app by downloading and installing it.

The desktop version supports more functionality than the Universal one.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Mystere said:
    The desktop version supports more functionality than the Universal one.
    It's logic to think that the free Desktop version may not have all the functionality of the paid (bundled) with Office, though. That's all I was saying.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 27,162
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

@DeaconFrost, I hope these quotes with links help:)

Last year we made OneNote 2013 (our full-featured Windows desktop software) free for personal use and the response was overwhelmingly positive. We’ve heard from many of you that enjoy the ability to take and share notes, ink and highlight directly on the page and stay organized with instant search. And we’ve also heard from many who want more from the OneNote 2013 free edition.Today we’re happy to share that we’re adding even more to the free edition. We’re removing all feature restrictions from OneNote 2013. Starting today you’ll be able to access the full power of OneNote on your PC, including these features previously reserved for paid editions:

• Password protected sections—Add a password to protect sensitive information.
    • Page history—Easily see or go back to prior versions of a page.
    • Audio and video recording—Take notes while recording, and easily jump to the relevant section later.
    • Audio search—Search for a word in a voice or video recording.
    • Embedded files—Insert Office documents or other files directly in your notebook.

The free edition of OneNote stores your notes on OneDrive for easy access across all your devices and works whether you’re online or offline. With your free Microsoft account, you’ll get 15 GB of OneDrive space for free and no limits on the number of notes you can create or sync.
    OneNote 2013 runs on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and is available for free from onenote.com/download.
    OneNote is now (even more) free! - Office Blogs

OneNote 2013 for Windows is now available for free. While Microsoft will continue to offer a paid version of OneNote that supports business users and provides premium features like SharePoint support, version history, Outlook integration and the like, the firm is now making the product available for free for personal and school use. The free version is ad-free and is not a trial version; it's the real thing. You can download OneNote 2013 for Windows from OneNote.com.
    Its Official: OneNote is Now Free for Everyone | Office 2013 content from SuperSite for Windows

f you use the free edition of Microsoft OneNote 2013 for Windows, Microsoft has some good news for you. In a blog post published Friday, Microsoft’s OneNote Team announced that it had lifted the feature restrictions that previously applied to the freebie version of Microsoft’s venerable note-taking app, bringing the free “personal use” edition more in line with the premium paid edition.
    According to Microsoft, the updated free edition of OneNote will let you password-protect sections of your notebooks, view prior versions of a page, record audio or video in a notebook (and search your recordings), and embed other Office documents into your notes.
    Microsoft unlocks restricted features for free OneNote 2013 users | PCWorld
      My Computers

6. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64

If you read the last link you gave, it states that it brings the free version "more in-line" with the paid version. That doesn't mean they are identical or that all features are the same. It means they've made the two versions closer to being the same. So, I'll stand by my comments that they are still different, meaning there are technically three versions of OneNote. So, it is certainly possible to have an issue with one and not the other.
      My Computer