Using Office 2007 with Windows 10


  1. Posts : 20
    Win8/10
       #1

    Using Office 2007 with Windows 10


    I installed Win10 when the upgrade became available...all seemed well until recently. I am using Office 2007 and when i try to save documents, ie; excel or word, i am told i am unable to save to the document folders or previous .xls folders that i had created. The system will let me save the file to the desktop...then i have to drag and drop into the designated folders...with a prompt telling me that i need admin privileges. What gives with this? Any ideas out there? Cheers and beers
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,279
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    Take ownership of the folders you are trying to save documents to:
    Take Ownership of a File or Folder
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 399
    Windows 10 X64
       #3

    hi,

    well we have here 4 pc's and 3 of them use Office 2007. Never there where problems as you say here.

    i am on Office 2013 and was happy with it at the beginning, not any more.....

    Jeff
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #4

    bcloonan said:
    I installed Win10 when the upgrade became available...all seemed well until recently. I am using Office 2007 and when i try to save documents, ie; excel or word, i am told i am unable to save to the document folders or previous .xls folders that i had created. The system will let me save the file to the desktop...then i have to drag and drop into the designated folders...with a prompt telling me that i need admin privileges. What gives with this? Any ideas out there? Cheers and beers
    I had a similar issue in one of the older versions of Windows 10. But it is not restricted just to MS Office. So I don't know if it is relevant to your issue.
    My problem was that I was unable to save anything to any folder except the desktop.
    Eventually I got it fixed by right click at a Folder such as Pictures folder > Properties > Security > highlight HomeUser or user name> click Edit > give full permissions > OK when done.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #5

    bcloonan,
    12 hours has past since you posted the question.
    What is your current situation ?
    Have you found a solution ?
    Would appreciate your input/follow-up.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 20
    Win8/10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Permisssions


    davidhk said:
    bcloonan,
    12 hours has past since you posted the question.
    What is your current situation ?
    Have you found a solution ?
    Would appreciate your input/follow-up.
    David hk, I attempted making the corrections that you suggested and ran into more problems...although i think i understand the problem. When right clicking a folder>Security -- I am shown the box with Group or User Name. The box is heavily populated with the following:
    1 System
    2 Bill Cloonan(billyC99@hotmail.com)
    3. Home User(Bill-PC\Administrator)
    4. Administrators (Bill-PC\Administrator)

    Confused about this...seems like i should only have at the most 2 entries. I am the only user of the PC. I tried doing a screen shot to show you the errors that i am receiving...Thoroughly confused
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #7

    In Post #4, I mentioned HomeUser. Yes?

    I would click Home User(Bill-PC\Administrator).
    Then look at the Permission box.
    Does it have all the permissions checked ?
    If not, click the Edit button and check all the boxes under Permissions.
    OK when done.

    It would look something like this when done............................
    (I cropped out some data to protect my identity and other personal info )

    Using Office 2007 with Windows 10-permissions.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using Office 2007 with Windows 10-permissions.jpg  
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 20
    Win8/10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Permissions


    davidhk said:
    In Post #4, I mentioned HomeUser. Yes?

    I would click Home User(Bill-PC\Administrator).
    Then look at the Permission box.
    Does it have all the permissions checked ?
    If not, click the Edit button and check all the boxes under Permissions.
    OK when done.

    It would look something like this when done............................
    (I cropped out some data to protect my identity and other personal info )

    Using Office 2007 with Windows 10-permissions.jpg
    Not at home at the moment...will do some screen shots of the error messages that I am receiving.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 20
    Win8/10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Permissions


    bcloonan said:
    Not at home at the moment...will do some screen shots of the error messages that I am receiving.
    David...I clicked on the User you recommended (Home Users(Bill-PC\Administrator) and ensured that all of the boxes are checked. This seems to have solved my problem. Thank you for your assistance...I am wondering why the "Group or User" box has so many entries. I can understand having a "System" Entry and "Home User(Bill-PC\Administrator" Don't understand why there are two additional entries. They are: 1. Bill Cloonan(billyC99@hotmail.com), this is the hotmail address that i created several years ago. 2. Administrators(Bill-PC\Administrator). Trying to get clear in my mind why there are so many entries and are all of the entries required?Prnt Scr showing Users.docx

    I may not of done the attachment properly
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #10

    I don't know why you have more entries under Group or user names.
    I am sure some one else will be able to answer that question.

    At least now you have no problem saving docs.
    If you don't mind, please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums