Word 2003 redraws tables slowly and gets stuck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

I've just switched on a W7 laptop. Word 2003 can redraw 50 rows of a table, full screen width, in less than 1 Sec. No getting stuck. (Same doc on both.) The slow-down was introduced in W10. I think Word 2003 must be using some graphic display function that is slower in W10 than W7.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 17,049
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Or your display driver is not fully compatible.
    Or your Bios?

Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

@denis, The problem first appeared when I was given a corporate Lenovo T580 (in 2019). Then changed to Lenovo P51 (May-2023) which also has the problem. I.T. dept. is quite rigorous and I presume that everything is up-to-date.

On thinking about it, after your question, I have remote access to another W10 PC, an HP Elitebook 840. Using remote desktop this PC does not have the problem! Maybe it's a Lenovo problem. It's not a directly comparable situation. I was RDPing to it from the P51. (Odd that the P51 can display a table faster via RDP than direct.)

Sometime in the next month I will go to the HP location and repeat the test directly on the laptop.
    There is a non-corp W10 laptop here that I can borrow. Think it doesn't have office at the moment, I'll see if I can try on that.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

I've visited the HP Elitebook and it doesn't have the problem. I'm really surprised at this. The problem is with Word 2003 and W10 and some computers. The Lenovo T580 and P51 show the problem. I tried a Leopard MSI laptop, W10 Home, and that has the problem.

The Lenovo P51 and the HP EliteBook 840 are both Windows 10 Pro, 22H2. Why does the table update slowly on the Lenovo?
      My Computer

5. Posts : 2,286
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit v23H2

I have an 17 year old Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 on it. I installed Office 2003 on it. I created a table with 35 rows and 5 columns. I don't have any problems with it.

Could you create a test document with tables that has the same problems you have been talking about. Put a link to a place like Dropbox so that I could test your document.
      My Computers

6. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

@MisterEd, Thank you for trying this. There is nothing special about the file. The Word window should maximised, and the table longer than the screen height. Paging down will trigger the problem if it hasn’t happened already. I agree it’s more convincing if it’s the same file.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 1,353
    Windows 10

office 2003 was a good year still is it works without any overhead or online server bs.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 17,049
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

RichardDL42 said:
    I agree itís more convincing if itís the same file.
    Here's a zipped copy of the file the OP posted [without having to go through Google]
    Table_Test.zip

RichardDL42 said:
    The Word window should maximised, and the table longer than the screen height. Paging down will trigger the problem if it hasnít happened already.
    I still think you should re-install your display driver even if it is the same version as the one you have now.

Or, unless you need your Outlook 2003, consider switching to LibreOffice instead of MSOffice 2003.
    LibreOffice is pretty similar to old versions of MSOffice - see their sample screenshots.
    LibreOffice - LibreOffice.Org
    LibreOffice Portable - LibreOffice.Org
    LibreOffice grew out of OpenOffice and is now said to be the better supported & more frequently updated one.
    LibreOffice vs OpenOffice
    about LibreOffice [Bree #2] - TenForums
    LibreOffice vs OpenOffice [RickC #30] - TenForums

Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 30 Aug 2023 at 06:40.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

"re-install the display driver" - I'm probably not allowed to do that, it's a corporate PC. While I had the Lenovo T580 there were 3 occasions where hardware or software disasters caused the whole disk to be reloaded. This slow-table-draw issue was there every time.
      My Computer

10. Posts : 15,581
    Windows10

RichardDL42 said:
    "re-install the display driver" - I'm probably not allowed to do that, it's a corporate PC. While I had the Lenovo T580 there were 3 occasions where hardware or software disasters caused the whole disk to be reloaded. This slow-table-draw issue was there every time.
    Corporate pc still running Word 2003?
    Something is not gelling here.
      My Computer