Am I stuck in an all-or-none deal with Office 365?

1. Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 22H2

Am I stuck in an all-or-none deal with Office 365?

I've had versions of Microsoft Office like forever going way back. A few years ago I signed up for an Office 365 Home Family subscription. I have 5 member licenses on it. Now, I think this was just since last year some time, my installation of Outlook started acting very annoyingly. I tried every setting I could find to make it sit quietly unless I decided to call it up and use it. But it insists on constantly jumping into active status on my taskbar, notifying me also in the system tray.

I don't want it doing that. I have no reason to open it. So I go through the annoyance of closing it. But it will on its own come back at will, seemingly randomly, although I have also found that if I use my volume up and down keys it also pops into action.

I've tried for months to track this down and figure out how to disable that activity. I want to make clear because people on the MS Community forums have asked me if this is Windows remembering and doing this when I re-start the OS (on my initial computer boot up when I start it up). It is not that. This is every day, constantly, no matter how many times I shut it down. It is a forever thing.

Can someone here tell me how I get rid of this. Reading MS documentation, I get the feeling that they allow you to do that if you buy the Enterprise version of Office, something I'm not going to do. Hell, at that point, if I'm aggravated enough, I'd rather just call it a last straw and get rid of their Office altogether. I'll use LibreOffice instead. But I'm still hopeful someone has figured out how to stop that intrusion. I don't understand why they think they're improving my user experience and feel they need to slap me around and make me put up with this.

Oh yes, my OS version - 10 Pro 21H2 (Build 19044.3086)
      My Computer

2. Posts : 30,452
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 23H2

I run Outlook (part of Office 365) and don't experience this type of behaviour.

You didn't say but as you've been at this a long time, did you check task scheduler for any Outlook entries. Have you disabled all "Add-ins" in Outlook?

Have you run an online repair for Office?

Strange that volume keys would initiate activity. Have you run "sfc /scannow" .

I notice you are a year behind on your OS. Is there a reason?
      My Computer

3. Posts : 68
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 22H2

Caledon Ken said:
    I run Outlook (part of Office 365) and don't experience this type of behaviour.

You didn't say but as you've been at this a long time, did you check task scheduler for any Outlook entries. Have you disabled all "Add-ins" in Outlook?

Yes, all add-ins are disabled. I have a bare basic configuration. My intent is to use it only if I choose to open it an do so.

Have you run an online repair for Office?
    Yes, I did both the local and online repairs.

Strange that volume keys would initiate activity. Have you run "sfc /scannow" .
    Yes, and DISM

I notice you are a year behind on your OS. Is there a reason?
    My OS is up to date on every available update to me. Why it's behind a year I don't know, but when it came out it said not all eligible devices could receive it immediately...But anyway I think that is a Windows 11 update. First, my hardware is not acceptable for that installation. Second, I don't think I even want 11, especially if it contains more cram down "you'd better like it because we say it improves user experience" nonsense. I prefer the OS maker let me configure what I don't like from them extensively.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for that. I'll check if this helped fix my problem and get back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, the update to 22H2 completed but immediately I have a problem. It messed up my display. Now the icons on the desktop run of the edge of the screen. My taskbar runs off at the top and I can't even see the start icon. I've tried what I can do including going into the Display Settings, but nothing there fixes it.

My browser window goes off the edges if I maximize the window. I can resize it but that doesn't stay. What can I do about that?

I'll check to see if Outlook keeps opening on its own.

- - - Updated - - -

I found that MS had messed with my AMD Software,. It wasn't even running, do I spoke with AMD Support and they told me to absolutely NOT install any MS driver that purports to work with my Radeon Rx 590 graphics card. I had somewhat of a pain cleaning and reinstalling because it had to be done in Safe Mode and then I couldn't get back to normal start even though I set no safe star in msconfig. All the usual Microsoft headaches. Afterwards I had to reconfigure my AMD settings from a huge window that ran off the screen. Well, finally I found the settings. All was beautifully handled by AMD without having to deal with Windows Settings or Windows Display Settings. So, the bottom line is that I have fixed the off the edges problem and loss of my Windows Start icon on the top of the taskbar. Everything fits again!

Thanks so much for your help. It encouraged me to plod through to get the graphics card to work again, and get around Windows to do so.

Then I moved to try to fix the Outlook problem I was having. It turned out that MS had changed the configuration on my Logitech remote keyboard. It has a mail handling function key that I never use much but it got changed from using GMail as the handler to Outlook. I changed it back and have not seen Outlook pop back up when I use the keyboard function keys to mute, raise and lower the volume. So I think I'm good now. It all started with your mention of updating to 22H2. That also took me some time to research and work out, but it also worked, and got me on the path to solve the other problems. Thanks so much again.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 30,452
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 23H2

Great news.

I wonder why it messed your AMD drivers so badly. Anyway, 22H2 is the last Feature update for Win 10.

Interesting how one thing leads to another and then to the keyboard.
      My Computer