Word not responding

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

1. Posts : 1,728
    Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2

You're running two antiviruses, kaspersky and avast.
    This is certainly bad because it may cause all sorts of issues and results in conflicts of the two.

One thing to solve is to keep only 1 antivirus.

Secondly, please take a look into device manager and verify AMD graphics card is enabled, (take a screenshot like Try3 gave it)
    dxdiag says that you're running generic adapter and suggests that AMD is disabled and out of date driver wise.

This are 2 issues which need to be resolved.
    1. keep only one antivirus
    2. Update AMD driver for your computer and enable AMD graphics card.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 255
    Windows 10

I think the nuclear option is now inevitable. Kaspersky for some unknown reason refuses to be uninstalled. Starts doing so and then sticks saying "shutting down utilities". Two hours later it is still at it an clicking Cancel warns of possible problems but if you persevere it is ignored. Ultimately it required the "I am God option - I know where your plug is!
      My Computer

3. Posts : 1,728
    Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2

There is kaspersky removal tool, read instructions carefully to understand what it does:
    https://support.kaspersky.com/common/uninstall/1464

To update your AMD driver visit official site for your computer and search for drivers for your GPU.
    If it's a desktop computer then https://www.amd.com/en/support
    otherwise find site for your laptop model.

Otherwise if you're tired of troubleshooting and want "nuclear option" there is tutorial on how to perform clean reinstall of Windows, first make a backup of your data to another disk such as passwords, bookmarks, documents and anything else you want to restore later:
    Clean Install Windows 10
      My Computer

4. Posts : 17,049
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
      My Computer

5. Posts : 255
    Windows 10

Good morning. I'll have another attempt at removing Kaspersky using their tool. If that works I'll deal with the driver, if it fails then I don't think I have much option but a reinstall.
    I'll keep you informed.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am going to be forced to reinstall.
    I tried the Kaspersky removal tool but it seems that the failed Windows uninstall has done something which results in the tool not recognising the installation being present. The list of versions which can be selected in the box below does not include Kaspersky Total Security. Yet it still seems to work OK! So basically cannot remove it,
      My Computer

6. Posts : 1,728
    Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2

Sigurd said:
    I tried the Kaspersky removal tool but it seems that the failed Windows uninstall has done something which results in the tool not recognising the installation being present. The list of versions which can be selected in the box below does not include Kaspersky Total Security. Yet it still seems to work OK! So basically cannot remove it,
    Reinstalling windows is cool, just make sure you backup your data.
    Otherwise a workaround with kaspersky is that you can reinstall it (to return to initial state) and then try again with removal tool.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 255
    Windows 10

Reinstalling Kaspersky then trying again was going to be my last attempt before reinstall. Fingers crossed!

- - - Updated - - -

Well I am pleased to say that reinstalling Kaspersky and then running its uninstall app cured both the Kaspersky issue and the Word one!
    Also Avast One has a driver feature and that has updated the AMD driver.
    So thank you all for your help with this, particularly Zebal and Try3 (aka Denis.
    Ian (and Rosalie!)
      My Computer

8. Posts : 17,049
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Rosalie,

Please tell Ian to post the Device manager diagram I suggested in post #23.

Denis
      My Computer

9. Posts : 1,728
    Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2

Sigurd said:
    Well I am pleased to say that reinstalling Kaspersky and then running its uninstall app cured both the Kaspersky issue and the Word one!
    Also Avast One has a driver feature and that has updated the AMD driver.
    So thank you all for your help with this, particularly Zebal and Try3 (aka Denis.
    Ian (and Rosalie!)
    So the issue then was having 2 antiviruses at the same time, well done and glad to hear it's resolved!

edit:
    Btw. you should always install drivers from manufactuer website and do not use driver installers such as the one provided by avast.
      My Computer

10. Posts : 255
    Windows 10

I'll do a check on AMD site to see if Avast's driver update was OK. Thanks.
      My Computer