Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts : 47
    windows 10

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?

I've been designing my own resume with a text box on the left side (snapped to paper edge, vertically and horizontally). Within the text box, I have text (and icons), and I also have descriptive text outside the text box to the right. This is how I want my page to look. On the right, I then fill in my work history, with job titles and bullet point job descriptions.

The problem is whenever I edit text (e.g. cut and paste) or move text around on the right, it disturbs the formatting of the text within the text box. I haven't been able to figure out how to lock the formatting, both within the text box, and also on the right, so that they don't interfere with each other. It takes me hours just to align everything the way I want it. But when I need to update my resume or change a few words here or there, it just screws everything else up. Should I be using columns instead, or have everything in text boxes? Or is there a way to keep the left side of the page separate from the right side?

Thanks.

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-resume-draft.png
    Keeping text box and surrounding text separate? Attached Files
      My Computer

2. Posts : 2,147
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2

You didn't say what program you are using. I modified you .docx file with Word 2021.

I changed the Text Box wrap to Square. Then text outside the box will always wrap around it.

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-resume1.jpg

I changed the paragraph indent to 0 on both sides because it is not needed.

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-resume2.jpg

The final result. Any work history you enter will always be to the right of the text box.

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-resume3.jpg

Note sometimes I even create a table and paste it into a text box. That is especially useful if you are mixing images and text. Below is an example.

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-resume4.jpg
    Last edited by MisterEd; 18 May 2023 at 23:16.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 2,095
    Windows 11 Pro (latest update ... forever anal)

MisterEd said:
    Note sometimes I even create a table and paste it into a text box. That is especially useful if you are mixing images and text. Below is an example.
    Yep, using a table is an oft overlooked resource when trying layouts that are basically underlying rows and columns.

Some programs that are not specifically designed for productions that require more than just a basic layout can be difficult to control (change something, then somewhere else something else falls out of alignment) are usually associated with a product that also has design-specific software (e.g. MS Office > designing (or trying to!) a layout in MS Word >> use MS Publisher (or MS would like you to buy it if it's not in your edition of MS Office!!)
      My Computers

4. Posts : 47
    windows 10

Thanks, that mostly worked. But now when I get to the end of the first page and press 'enter' to start the second page, it knocks the text box off the first page.

- - - Updated - - -

idgat said:
    Yep, using a table is an oft overlooked resource when trying layouts that are basically underlying rows and columns.

Some programs that are not specifically designed for productions that require more than just a basic layout can be difficult to control (change something, then somewhere else something else falls out of alignment) are usually associated with a product that also has design-specific software (e.g. MS Office > designing (or trying to!) a layout in MS Word >> use MS Publisher (or MS would like you to buy it if it's not in your edition of MS Office!!)
    Am I able to take what I've done so far in WORD and import it into Publisher?

Otherwise I'm going to have to spend hours starting from scratch in Publisher (which I know even less than WORD).
      My Computer

5. Posts : 16,577
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.3930

Personally, I think the simple table idea suggested earlier is probably your best bet.
    I'm not sure what your page 2 problem was.
    If you create a two column table and colour the left-hand column [Design tab, Shading] then you should not have any page transition problems and you should be able to stick whatever you want wherever you want. Done this way, I don't think you will even end up using any text boxes for the layout you envisage.

If you are going to use text boxes & other sophisticated design elements, do bear in mind that advanced layout design capabilities need study whether you choose to use Word or Publisher.
    Word help & learning - MSSupport
    Publisher help & learning - MSSupport

It's your life & your decision but if that summary in your initial post's example is you then your prospective employers are more likely to be impressed with clear & coherent statements of your abilities rather than fancy design.
    If any of your friends work in "human resources" then seek their advice; I think they will agree with me. I know one who throws away any resume [CV] that has been designed to look like a product brochure because she only wants to select people who will spend their time making money for the company rather than farting about all day making something look pretty.

Best of luck,
    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 19 May 2023 at 01:51.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 2,147

Madrona said:
    Thanks, that mostly worked. But now when I get to the end of the first page and press 'enter' to start the second page, it knocks the text box off the first page.

- - - Updated - - -

Otherwise I'm going to have to spend hours starting from scratch in Publisher (which I know even less than WORD).
    That is kind of annoying when that happens with the text box. If you think ahead of time create a second page before you start. Otherwise, just select the text box and cut and paste it back to the first page.

I tried to use the following directions to import the Word document. It imported but the layout wasn't right.

Import text from another file into a publication
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-e703a1e6cc38

Instead I just tried a more direct route:
    1. Open Publisher
    2. Select Open
    3. Browse to Word document and select it
    4. Select Open
    5. Wait for it to convert file

I was surprised but the layout looked OK. You might want to try it for yourself to see if everything looks OK. I don't know how it would work with a more complex document. BTW, I really can't say anything about Publisher because I only used it once over ten years ago.

Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-resume5.jpg
      My Computers

7. Posts : 2,095
    Windows 11 Pro (latest update ... forever anal)

Madrona said:

- - - Updated - - -

No, Microsoft has made sure there is no format relationship between Word and Publisher, so that you have to have (buy) both ... I think it's called marketing

What you appear to be trying to achieve can be done using tables (EDIT corrected from "columns") - 2 columns x 1 row - the right hand column row will expand as you continue to type. Just background fill the left hand column with the required colour. Then remove the borders when finished.

However, as @Try3 says, substance is more important than a fancy layout. A well formatted and laid-out block of text with appropriate relevant information will do just as well.

If the job doesn't require a demonstration of skills using Publisher, don't try to show off. It's not worth it. Spend your time and energy thinking about what to put in the c.v. rather than waste time on an (over-)fancy layout.
    Last edited by idgat; 19 May 2023 at 02:22.
      My Computers

8. Posts : 47
    windows 10

I'm working on it using the 2 tables suggestion. So far, so good. I'm turning in for the night. Will continue on and update this thread tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

So I've created a document with a table inserted on the left 1/4 side of the page with background color (as seen in my OP). I've also filled in all my employment history on the right side. I was able to move this text around and edit with not too much problem. I just had to align the text for each paragraph using the indent tabs along the top ruler.

However, there was a problem on the left side with the colored table. I could not position text. The cursor started at the very top page edge (because I positioned the table to the page edge) and I couldn't insert the cursor anywhere else. As soon as I hit enter or arrow down or tab or anything it knocked the whole table off the first page and down to a second page. I don't know why text within a table would do that. I could type text, but I just couldn't put it where I wanted it to go.

My only work around for this was to insert rectangular shapes, and type text within these. Then fill the shapes with the same color as the table background color and remove any shape outlines, which blended perfectly and was pretty seamless. This isn't ideal, as it means I have to create blocks for text within a table. But since the information on the left side with color is mostly contact info (which won't change very often) the bit of extra hassle with the colored table won't be nearly as bad as having to do the whole document over again every time I update my resume.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 2,147

I apologize if I mislead you. I only said that using tables was sometimes useful in certain situations. In the modifications of your document I showed in Post #2 I kept your original Text Box. I did not add any tables. I think you might have been better off just making the changes I showed in Step #2.
      My Computers

10. Posts : 16,577
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.3930

Madrona said:
    So I've created a document with a table inserted on the left 1/4 side of the page with background color ...
    ...As soon as I hit enter or arrow down or tab or anything it knocked the whole table off the first page and down to a second page.
    I suggest you post copies of your document from both before & after hitting enter.
    I cannot understand what is happening from your description alone.

Alternatively, take a look at Sample use of table layout.docx. This is what I was suggesting & what I believe some others were suggesting. You can write what you want where you want just like in any other document and it can extend across as many pages as you like.
    It is just a 2x1 table in which I have made the left one narrower & shaded it [Design tab, Shading].
    I stuck a lot of sample text in there just to give you something to look at [the sample text was generated by a built-in Word function - I typed in, for example, rand(15) and then pressed the return key].
    Keeping text box and surrounding text separate?-sample-use-table-layout.png

Denis
    @idgat - I added my example after reading your very sensible comments in the next post.
    Last edited by Try3; 19 May 2023 at 23:07.
      My Computer