Automatically Open hundreds of hyperlinks using Excel

1. Posts : 413
    Windows 10 home Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045) and Windows 11 on laptop

Automatically Open hundreds of hyperlinks using Excel

I have an Excel workbook that contains hundreds of hyperlinks in columns. Click on one to locate the referenced file, then click on the URL to open the file. What I want to do is:
    • click on a cell that contains only the hyperlink
    • have Excel locate and open the file
    • do this automatically for several hundred hyperlinks

I can do the above routine manually one hyperlink at a time, but I want to automate the process.

Objective of project
    Over the years I have assembled a database (workbook spreadsheets) of references to sheet music files (hyperlinked). The database is a convenient way to search by keyword, artist, arrangement, album, etc. Once located I can usually call up the music by clicking on the hyperlink. Problem is that many of the music files are not on my local machine.

With the advent of inexpensive storage I now have several TB available and I want to have all of my music stored on my local machine. This would be helpful because over the years some www sites have disappeared or changed URL (broken link) so that music is not available to me.

Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2302 Build 16.0.16130.20298) 64-bit
    Last edited by lbeck; 31 Mar 2023 at 16:03.
      My Computers

2. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10

Use VBA to batch open them or if you are not able to do that then use something like Jdownloader and linkgrabber them by highlight and copying all the links to windows clipboard while Jdownloader is open it should start processing the links.

jdownloader is probably actually a better method to go with if you have 100s of links or more as it will process each download one by one. Opening them all at once with VBA would mean that they all try downloading at the same time and will saturate your browser without having to engineer it not to.

JDownloader.org - Official Homepage

- - - Updated - - -

Jdownloader also grabs a lot of other stuff from any download links in its grabber that is not required as it is a scraper so you need to filter it on the red section by turning off the stuff you don't want.

Automatically Open hundreds of hyperlinks using Excel-jd.png

- - - Updated - - -

You can also keep links for stuff downloaded in Jdownloader and you will always be able to go back to them at a later date and redownload them if they still exist, i have 100s of download links in mine for example.

Automatically Open hundreds of hyperlinks using Excel-jd2.png
    Last edited by Malneb; 31 Mar 2023 at 22:29.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 413
    Windows 10 home Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045) and Windows 11 on laptop

Thanks Malneb. I really appreciate your detailed response intended to help. There's no question in my mind that your intentions are virtuous. But a Google search turned up a few responses that have made me wary:

and others. Apparently jdownloader can be installed safely if you're careful but there are some warnings that scare me.

Rather than insult your helpfulness I decided to wait a few days to see if there are risk-free alternatives. No one else has offered any.

I may read all of the warnings and install jdownloader. It apparently can work. But I decided to give you the respect that you deserve and respond now to your help.

Thanks again. I'll report back (eventually) with my findings.
      My Computers

4. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10

Jdownloader is secure i would never advise someone to install malware

Here is a post from 2014 talking about it from one of the admins.
    JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH - View Single Post - JDownloader 2 Clean Installers (No Adware!)

Also here
    Adware during Installation - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

JDownloader can be free because we offer additional software during the installation process.
    This means, that there is an extra screen during the installation that explains the offer, and gives you the option to uncheck it.
    If you uncheck these checkboxes, no 3rd party software will be installed.

If you installed the offer by accident, you most likely missed this screen, and clicked "continue".
    You can uninstall the installed additional software in your Windows Software Control Panel, or by using a tool like this: Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
    The program is also open source which means they are transparent and open source also means 1000s of people have potentially reviewed the codebase over its lifetime and Jdownloader is an old program its been around for a long time.

Just like anything you install on your computer you should always check into it and you have possibly installed 1000s of applications in your time computing and never really thought or questioned anything of it.
    Install this program is no different to installing an application from anything that is downloaded online.

The same goes for anything you install you should always read if it offers additional third party applications at runtime and this is the case with Jdownloader it installs a toolbar if you let it and does not if you disable it.

I guess like anything else do your due diligence which you are but this program is no scarier then the last 10 programs you installed.
      My Computer