Office Home & Student 2021 account question

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1. Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Office Home & Student 2021 account question

I got Office Home & Student 2021 on my latest computer and I don't want to create an email account for activation for privacy reasons. And I definitely don't want my email address trailing me around everytime I create a document.

Is there anyway to get around this like you can with activating Windows 10 and Windows 11 and using a local account?

Thanks
      My Computer

2. Posts : 13,983
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

A free alternative to installed E-Mail Clients is Outlook free personal email and calendar from Microsoft [which used to be both Hotmail.com and Outlook.com], Webmail/Online E-Mail and work on Win10 and Win11 computers with only Local Accounts. But if disconnected from the Internet when trying to activate it may offer a phone number for offline activation.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 1,223
    W10-Pro 22H2

Just create a scratch email account (on Outlook.com or gmail, for example), then never use it.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Berton said:
    A free alternative to installed E-Mail Clients is Outlook free personal email and calendar from Microsoft [which used to be both Hotmail.com and Outlook.com], Webmail/Online E-Mail and work on Win10 and Win11 computers with only Local Accounts.
    Does it have to be a microsoft email account?

Berton said:
    But if disconnected from the Internet when trying to activate it may offer a phone number for offline activation.
    I've never seen an option for that.

mngerhold said:
    Just create a scratch email account (on Outlook.com or gmail, for example), then never use it.
    Yeah, the thing is if I don't remember to log into it for a long time, I may find that email account eventually disabled. Then I'd be really stuck.

I just wondered if there was some way around this. Like entering a license key or something, like the old days
    Last edited by cheaterslick; 22 Feb 2023 at 13:12.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 13,983

Both Outlook.com and Hotmail.com did use an address in the manner of snicklefritz@hotmail.com or snicklefritz@outlook.com and will require a password. Outlook – free personal email and calendar from Microsoft It's been a number of years since I got my Hotmail account, back in the late '90s and Outlook came a few years later, stated intent was to merge Hotmail into Outlook but it was some years later that it actually happened then everything merged into outlook.live.com. I don't recall from back then that the Microsoft account as used in setting up a new computer was used. There is another free E-Mail that may work, Free email accounts | Register today at mail.com.
      My Computers

6. Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro 22H2

What about Protonmail.com?

I have accounts there and I visit them all the time and it's secure
      My Computer

7. Posts : 13,983

cheaterslick said:
    What about Protonmail.com?

I have accounts there and I visit them all the time and it's secure
    Don't know why that wouldn't work.
      My Computers

8. Posts : 123
    Windows 10 Creators

I have the same issue, I do not want a Microsoft Account at all. Is there anyway to install Office without one just a local account?
      My Computer

9. Posts : 9,780
    Mac OS Catalina

Murphcid said:
    I have the same issue, I do not want a Microsoft Account at all. Is there anyway to install Office without one just a local account?
    No, you need to set it up with a Microsoft account if you want to save files to Onedrive and especially if you are paying monthly. Otherwise if you paid outright you just enter the product id.
      My Computer

10. Posts : 123
    Windows 10 Creators

bro67 said:
    No, you need to set it up with a Microsoft account if you want to save files to Onedrive and especially if you are paying monthly. Otherwise if you paid outright you just enter the product id.
    I never save to the cloud or one drive, and it forces me to have a Microsoft account to load. I always purchase the stand alone version since I refuse to pay yearly, and want software that I control (theoretically) on my computers. There is no way to not set up a Microsoft Account and only have a local account that I have been able to find.
      My Computer