No to office 365?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 64 bit

No to office 365?

I use office 2016, which suits me fine - does everything I need without over complcation or hassle.
    Along comes a 'merge' with 365.
    Can I continue / will I be able to continue with existing program if I elect not to intall 365 for free?
    Thanks for any input
    C

22H2 (os build 19045-2546)
      My Computer

2. Posts : 16,949
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

Yes, you can continue to use Office 2016.

I do not know what you are referring to by
    PoloNut said:
    ... if I elect not to intall 365 for free?
    What have you seen? What 'merge'? Office365 is not free.
    Screenshots of the Office365 offer would help to remove uncertainty about your situation.

Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 31 Jan 2023 at 00:45.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 15,485
    Windows10

PoloNut said:
    I use office 2016, which suits me fine - does everything I need without over complcation or hassle.
    Can I continue / will I be able to continue with existing program if I elect not to intall 365 for free?
    Thanks for any input
    C

Office 365 is not free although new pcs often come with a free trial ranging from 1 month up to 1 year.

So I am puzzled what you are saying.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 9,790
    Mac OS Catalina

365 is nothing more than 2016/2019. Unless uou are looking at saving money in the long run by leasing the software, go ahead and spend more to just do a one time purchase without the 1TB cloud storage.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 64 bit

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick here!
    As long as I can continue to use Office 2016, then I am happy.
    I note that clicking on the start bitton now shows in its list - Microsoft 365 (office)
    Cheers everyone
    C
      My Computer

6. Posts : 16,949
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

PoloNut said:
    I note that clicking on the start bitton now shows in its list - Microsoft 365 (office)
    C,

And you should be able to uninstall Office365
    Uninstall Office from a PC - Office Support
    after which some people have said they needed to run an Office repair on their remaining Office [Office 2016 in your case]
    Repair an Office application - MSSupport

If I was uninstalling & repairing something as major as MSOffice, I'd make a new system image first. Is that something you already know about & do?

All the best,
    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 02 Feb 2023 at 13:45.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 2,191
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v22H2

PoloNut said:
    Thanks for any input
    C

Standalone Office 2016 has a perpetual license. You can use it as long as you want. I even have Office 2003 on one old computer. It runs just fine on it. I even called Microsoft who helped me activate it.

Even though Microsoft has been releasing standalone versions of Office like Office 2016 at the same time as Microsoft 365 they have been given minimal support for standalone versions of Office. Microsoft 365 received continuous updates while standalone versions of Office change very little after release.

Hopefully, when the standalone versions of Office come under the Microsoft 365 brand they will be essentially the same product and get the same updates. The only difference is in their licensing. Standalone versions of Microsoft 365 will continue to have perpetual licenses while the subscription versions will the same as the current Microsoft 365.
      My Computers

8. Posts : 15,485
    Windows10

bro67 said:
    365 is nothing more than 2016/2019. Unless uou are looking at saving money in the long run by leasing the software, go ahead and spend more to just do a one time purchase without the 1TB cloud storage.
    I always think users should understand the pros and cons of leasing versus buying.

You can always prove for a single licence of a paid version will be cheaper than a lease version where a user only uses 1 instance in the lease version.

However, Office 365 can be installed on unlimited devices, with any size active at one time.

I have it on at least 10 devices - it would take decades (at official prices) before 10 single user licences were cheaper than my modest lease cost.

If you lease the family version, you can add an additional 5 other persons, each having up to 6 active licences at any one time.

Plus of course, 1 TB cloud space (1 tb for each person in family lease).

The other crucial point is Office 365 gets updated within the lease cost. Paid versions get superseded every 3-4 years but the perpetual licence is only valid for the version that you purchase.

I use my laptop for business work and using latest version is important to me.

Of course, you can always buy cheap "unofficial" licences, but you run risk of licence getting blocked (not a major risk perhaps). In the end it is not a fair comparison of lease of Office 365 versus cheap (maybe dodgy) unofficial licence,

Whilst I am not a fan of lease models, in the case of Office 365, MS have pitched the cost very low to make it attractive to all but those who use 1 version on 1 pc perhaps. When you factor in the Onedrive space, it can be even more attractive.

In the end, many users are jaundiced with the view that leasing is expensive. For Office 365 that is really only true if you have minimal user requirements and do not want/need to keep up to date.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 304
    Win 10 - 21H1

Hello,
    Personally I avoid the subscription pay forever models. Especially with MS Office, it hasn't changed since 2003, well, 2010 when PDF save as was included. Since then they have just messed with the ribbon and hidden tools behind tools.
      My Computer

10. NMI
    Windows 11 Pro, Version 22H2

cereberus said:
    However, Office 365 can be installed on unlimited devices, with any size active at one time.
    If you lease the family version, you can add an additional 5 other persons, each having up to 6 active licences at any one time.
    Five active at one time (per user) in both cases:

"The ability to use up to five devices simultaneously."
    Microsoft 365 Personal
    "The ability to use up to five devices simultaneously."
    Microsoft 365 Family
      My Computer